Scottish Islands

8MileBU

On 29/10/2021 at 18:48, paul wright scores said:

I'm intending going to both Shetland and Orkney next summer and wonder which island is deemed to be the better of the two from a tourist perspective from anyone who has been to both.  

Cheers

Coincidentally getting the ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick tonight although, and this is sortof a relevant point in terms of deciding which one to go to, was supposed to go yesterday night before I checked the forecast! (Ferry company is good at changing bookings even at last moment). Aberdeen to Lerwick ferry can be particularly bleak if bad weather, and there's no guarantee you'll get a decent one in summer (in fact, one of worst trips I've had was in the middle of July).

Kirkwall and Stromness in Orkney used to be a lot better than anything you'd get town wise in Shetland, but there are a few newer places in Lerwick the last few years.

Personally, if I wasn't sure I'd head to Orkney first and see what you make of it. Less hassle to begin with. Orkney also has an extra choice of getting there too if you go up to the north coast and get the significantly shorter ferry from Scrabster (a route with nice views both getting to Scrabster and on the ferry).

Edited by The Holiday Song

On 29/10/2021 at 17:48, paul wright scores said:

I'm intending going to both Shetland and Orkney next summer and wonder which island is deemed to be the better of the two from a tourist perspective from anyone who has been to both.  

Cheers

I've always felt that Orkney is further developed for tourists. Quite a stark difference, maybe 10 years ahead. Geologically it's softer, being sandstone, with more arable and cattle, so overall a gentler landscape. Shetland is more rugged. Orkney appears to be full of incomers but that's just my personal experience. I've always stayed with relatives in Shetland, so that causes a bias too, as you have more chance of being introduced to local musicians, sailing types etc, and getting to participate in things that are on, and it's more remote so you get a deeper impression that there's still a local culture clinging on.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I've always felt that Orkney is further developed for tourists. Quite a stark difference, maybe 10 years ahead. Geologically it's softer, being sandstone, with more arable and cattle, so overall a gentler landscape. Shetland is more rugged. Orkney appears to be full of incomers but that's just my personal experience. I've always stayed with relatives in Shetland, so that causes a bias too, as you have more chance of being introduced to local musicians, sailing types etc, and getting to participate in things that are on, and it's more remote so you get a deeper impression that there's still a local culture clinging on.

Whilst I agree with this post, I just find Orkney is far more interesting than Shetland with more to see and do. The locals of both are both very welcoming though.

Edited by 8MileBU

On 04/11/2021 at 22:30, The Mantis said:

...I've always stayed with relatives in Shetland, so that causes a bias too, as you have more chance of being introduced to local musicians, sailing types etc, and getting to participate in things that are on,...

Things may have changed over the last couple of decades but that definitely used to make a big difference. My relatives used to have to carefully explain who I was related to and how before the other locals would give me the time of day. Then you get into awkward social situations like running into your granny's best friend from childhood who is very pleased to meet you but is speaking broad Shetland sans wallies...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/02/2017 at 16:18, The Mantis said:

Whenever I read P&B and see threads about MILFs and farting I realise I'm quite an auld c**t. So I've been loads of places. For my own use as much as anything, here's a list of my islands, I'll probably remember more later. Some have bridges mind you, although I visited some before the bridges were built and even kayaked some.

Shetland - Mainland, Yell, Unst, Mousa, Vaila, Foula, Fair Isle, Bressay, Noss, Burra, Trondra, Fetlar, Whalsay, Muckle Roe, St Ninian's.

Orkney - Mainland, Hoy, Burray, S.Ronaldsay, Rousay.

Western Isles - Lewis & Harris, N. Uist, S.Uist, Benbecula, Barra, Eriskay, Berneray, Scarp, Scalpay, Great Bernera, Pabbay, Monach Isles, Taransay, Hirta, Bhatarsaigh.

Inner Hebrides - Skye, Raasay, Rum, Eigg, Islay, Jura, Coll, Tiree, Mull, Iona, Staffa, Gigha, Arran, Holy Isle, Bute, Cumbrae, Seil, Luing, Davaar.

Others - Ailsa Craig, The Bass, Cramond, Fidra, May, Inchcolm, Inchmickery, Handa. Also been to Rathlin which is a kick in the erse off Scotland, and Carrick-a-Rede, and Lindisfarne.

00000671.thumb.jpg.a841b6388fe293cd01d4389acab64875.jpgP1030149.thumb.jpg.6370856a59589e32284447dc45fbc75b.jpgIMG_0629.thumb.jpg.9b6d2f80625d4996a15db43b12857fbd.jpgIMG_0624.thumb.jpg.37a945206e2fc3bcb7a0136079a3bc9d.jpg

Stunning photos mate.

I've been to:

Mainland Shetland

Lewis/Harris

Benbecula

North Uist

South Uist

Barra

Vatersay

Eriskay

Skye

Raasay

Mull

Iona

Arran (about a hundred times)

The Holy Isle

Great Cumbrae (Millport)

Edited by Scott Steiner

Day trip to Lismore yesterday. A breakfast roll from a Taste of Arran and over on the boat for 12. This gave a few hours to do a circuit of the southern half of Lismore - going to the ruins of Achanduin Castle, over the hill to Loch Fiart and then up the main road to the ferry landing. The views back to the mainland hills were suitably glorious. 

IMG_20211127_134105.thumb.jpg.db67e5f3efea2bb71e2072cfd1208e48.jpg

• 4 months later...

Week on Islay delayed from 2020 and finally taken this week.

Always an enjoyable place to visit. This week's trip has been with the wider family, and three kids under 10 in tow has kept us mostly away from the distilleries this time.

Hatching a plan to come back to hide out here for a week of the World Cup!
64bc0de00f157cd39d8b6a776eafc32e.jpgbb716a078a8fa252a3ccc2e648186fd9.jpg8fe6900d6df56b1891eed53084185670.jpgdac9baed0b2fb5b79ce0cf8e58f5247e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A return to the tropical isle of Bute yesterday

IMG_20220528_195449.thumb.jpg.3ddb70a41571caead1c71742b5164dd6.jpg

with the pleasing signs of recovery for the local area. Firstly, after losing its final pub since 2020 (on the cards before the pandemic hit) the glorious village of Port Bannatyne has now regained a much better pub and a community centre in the form of the Anchor Tavern, thanks to a crowdfunding/lottery project.

It's great to see a local community revive itself with a little outside help, and the Fyne Ales on tap is well worth the visit too. Do the West Island Way - celebrate with the superb range of cold pints at the Anchor. 

Meanwhile, on the south end of the island, the Kingarth Hotel and bar has reopened after a family bereavance and long closure that looked like being the end for that side of the island's social life. Not to mention great food and pints as well, if their previous version is anything to go by..

On 14/04/2022 at 22:50, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Week on Islay delayed from 2020 and finally taken this week.

Always an enjoyable place to visit. This week's trip has been with the wider family, and three kids under 10 in tow has kept us mostly away from the distilleries this time.

Hatching a plan to come back to hide out here for a week of the World Cup!

Islay is a fantastic island to visit. Enjoyed a week there a few years ago following a family wedding. 

Thoroughy enjoyed playing The Machrie Links as well. 

On 29/05/2022 at 01:45, virginton said:

A return to the tropical isle of Bute yesterday

IMG_20220528_195449.thumb.jpg.3ddb70a41571caead1c71742b5164dd6.jpg

with the pleasing signs of recovery for the local area. Firstly, after losing its final pub since 2020 (on the cards before the pandemic hit) the glorious village of Port Bannatyne has now regained a much better pub and a community centre in the form of the Anchor Tavern, thanks to a crowdfunding/lottery project.

It's great to see a local community revive itself with a little outside help, and the Fyne Ales on tap is well worth the visit too. Do the West Island Way - celebrate with the superb range of cold pints at the Anchor. 

Meanwhile, on the south end of the island, the Kingarth Hotel and bar has reopened after a family bereavance and long closure that looked like being the end for that side of the island's social life. Not to mention great food and pints as well, if their previous version is anything to go by..

A great wee island to take your bike to...

Oh my goodness. The new £5.6m Calmac vessel for the Oban/Mull route is very small, very very small indeed.

It can apparently hold 34-40 cars and 195 passengers, but that figure looks like it might be a tight squeeze.

Photo here, the MV Utne / MV Loch Frisa is the one to the right of the tiny sail boat.

Coming into service soon. Visit quickly before a wee gust of wind blows it back to Norway.

Enjoyable wee sprint over to Mull today to make some use of my day off. Thanks to the Queen for surviving long enough to get me this day off.

ddd18096c2b37ad8a9aac41bc012ac4b.jpgbe8fabde17aab48325d4edebc774c492.jpg

7 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

MV Loch Frisa

She looks like she's marooned on a sandbank. Makes you wonder why Norway wanted rid, it's not like they're short of a few bob.

She looks like she's marooned on a sandbank. Makes you wonder why Norway wanted rid, it's not like they're short of a few bob.
Exactly that. The Norwegians have so much money they can cast off an eight year old ferry to us, because they are now replacing all their diesel powered ferries with battery powered.

They also wanted rid of this one in particular because it looks like a child's bath toy.

17 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Oh my goodness. The new £5.6m Calmac vessel for the Oban/Mull route is very small, very very small indeed.

It can apparently hold 34-40 cars and 195 passengers, but that figure looks like it might be a tight squeeze.

Photo here, the MV Utne / MV Loch Frisa is the one to the right of the tiny sail boat.

Coming into service soon. Visit quickly before a wee gust of wind blows it back to Norway.

Enjoyable wee sprint over to Mull today to make some use of my day off. Thanks to the Queen for surviving long enough to get me this day off.

ddd18096c2b37ad8a9aac41bc012ac4b.jpgbe8fabde17aab48325d4edebc774c492.jpg

What a shambles Calmac are. Looking at that pokey wee boat, I’d imagine that sailings will likely be  cancelled anytime conditions are anything other than flat calm.

I know it's open season on Calmac right now, but I imagine this will work in tandem with the MV Isle of Mull and will simply replace the MV Coruisk which is a similar size/capacity and cost £6.75M new in 2003.