Scottish Islands

8MileBU

I'm lucky enough to own a smallish boat and have managed to get around the West coast of Scotland. Some photos from my travels. Wreck Bay on Bute in the top photo and Isle of Rona with Skye in the background in the bottom photo

8A6D7A40-2D88-418C-BAE9-CF43E62FB0EA.jpeg

4EA9C7CF-4093-4D62-AA13-B879814F35E0.jpeg

Edited by budmiester1

1 hour ago, budmiester1 said:

I'm lucky enough to own a smallish boat and have managed to get around the West coast of Scotland. Some photos from my travels. Wreck Bay on Bute in the top photo and Isle of Rona with Skye in the background in the bottom photo

Is that your boat in the bottom photo?

On 07/11/2020 at 19:14, virginton said:

A visit to Little Cumbrae today: the now abandoned sister island to Greater Cumbrae (Millport) that sits further out in the Firth towards Arran. The handful of houses and the lighthouse are still intact apart from having more broken glass than the Ayr United team last week. Cumbrae Castle - on its own tidal island sitting off the main berth - is a remarkably well kept tower when you consider that there's no official presence there at all. 

IMG_20201107_134837.thumb.jpg.8cb404bafcf2ac84154e8953537f1fe6.jpg

A fantastic day out with Clyde Charters who have started up different trips from the Clyde Riviera or Largs in this case. Glad to tick another island off the list and they're already talking doing a trip to Inchmarnock off the west coast of Bute next year. 

Thanks for the recommendation. Always fancied trying to get to inchmarnock. Looks like I’ll be getting another couple of islands ticked off using this service.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 22:07, welshbairn said:

The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan is worth a watch tonight on catch up, Skye, Harris, Lewis and St Kilda. Not every joke hits the mark, but I've seen worse.

We've had meat off Sweeney Ness a few times. Half a pig, half a sheep. Think he's got a brother in Edinburgh so he delivers down this way.

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Calmac put their Summer 2021 ferries on sale today. You can now book through to October.

I've booked my customary trip to Islay for Easter, more in hope than expectation really.

Good luck. Had booked last April with my mate. We eventually went in September and had a good time, but the main focus was the birds and the distilleries so it was a bit of a bummer. The Bowmore Hotel was shut completely so we had to eat in the Lochside which is fine, but my mate likes posh nosh 😂
On the last night we went to the seafood place in Port Charlotte. Excellent if you can afford it...

• 1 month later...

Quite enjoyed this wee film. Guy takes day trip from Oban to Coll for £18. Worth a watch for the dolphins alone.

To be honest, even being able to see inside a Calmac ferry is thrilling when I've been landlocked for months.

He misses a wee trick, I suppose, talking about only getting two hours on Coll. You can do it on a Wednesday or a Saturday and get 8 hours on Coll (or 6 hours on Tiree). Even a bit longer (11 and 9) on a Saturday over the June to August timetable.

I imagine that longer day should be enough to have a good explore, certainly long enough to get to the beaches he mentions.

With the advantage of being able to have a pint in the (MV) Clansman on the way!

Another trip I've added to my growing list of "things to do if I ever get back into Tier 1 or 2".

13 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

He misses a wee trick, I suppose, talking about only getting two hours on Coll. You can do it on a Wednesday or a Saturday and get 8 hours on Coll (or 6 hours on Tiree). Even a bit longer (11 and 9) on a Saturday over the June to August timetable.

Spot on. I’ve seen 1 or 2 of Steve Marsh’s videos and he’s certainly a great ambassador for Scotland. 2 hours though 😂

This made me have a squint at the CalMac timetable as I was up there with Mrs Mantis in (gasp) 2007. The sailings have changed a bit but what we did is roughly achievable today.

Sunday - drove up to Oban with the bikes and climbed Meall Nan Tarmachan on the way. Stayed in the YH ( we were on a budget, we would do it in comfort nowadays).

Monday - Hostel allowed us to leave the car all week. No trivial matter as I have always found parking in Oban a bit tricky. Got the 8am ferry to Coll with the bikes. Had most of the day in Coll and stayed at the hotel. Brilliant seafood platter. Met Rob Wainright (Scotland rugby player) who moved to Coll to work a farm.

Tuesday - whole day in Coll and ferry to Tiree about 6 pm and got brilliant fish & chips on the boat. Cycled to Millhouse Hostel where we got a double room.

Wednesday - whole day in Tiree

Thursday - whole day in Tiree and ferry back to Oban about 8pm so very late in Oban. Stayed over in the YH again.

Friday - home.

The ferry seems to be quicker now as it was 3 hours to Coll when we went. Same boat though. Unfortunately it pished rain Mon and Tues, Tiree was better but the totally stunning weather was Friday when we were back in Oban...

I'm trying to hold off on visiting Tiree until I get a chance to go for the music festival, which going by Clownshoes Leitch's timetable should be good to restart in 2035 or so. There's a four part day in the life series on Tiree on BBC Alba which makes it look fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Islay Easter 2020 in the bin.
Islay Easter 2021 in the bin.
Rolled my booking over to Easter 2022.
Only 409 days to go!

No doubt the ferry will be off that day due to "shan winds". Then the Calmacaroni will be off and as I finally step off the ferry and kiss the ground in the style of the Pope JP2 I'll get attacked by an angry flock of geese and have to be airlifted back to the mainland.

Still, something to look forward to I suppose.

44 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Only 409 days to go!

No doubt the ferry will be off that day due to "shan winds". Then the Calmacaroni will be off and as I finally step off the ferry and kiss the ground in the style of the Pope JP2 I'll get attacked by an angry flock of geese and have to be airlifted back to the mainland.

Lewis & Harris 2020 in the bin.

Lewis & Harris 2021 in the bin. 

Didn’t rebook for 2022 as going to use the money to do up some stuff around the house. 

Makes me want to spew though. 😕

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Only 409 days to go!

Are you determined to go at Easter? I was the same (see post above) but went in September.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Lewis & Harris 2020 in the bin.

Lewis & Harris 2021 in the bin. 

Didn’t rebook for 2022 as going to use the money to do up some stuff around the house. 

Makes me want to spew though. 😕

May or June maybe? We’re lucky that we can go any time as the missus has the parents’ house. Could have been Feb, could have been April, but confident we’ll get there sometime this year.

32 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Are you determined to go at Easter? I was the same (see post above) but went in September.

May or June maybe? We’re lucky that we can go any time as the missus has the parents’ house. Could have been Feb, could have been April, but confident we’ll get there sometime this year.

It was booked 3rd week of June last year and for the same week in June this year but we figured the way things have been going it’ll likely get cancelled again so decided we’d be better off just cancelling. We’ve got the caravan up in Cowan so worst case we’ll get a wee break or two up there over the summer at some point. Don’t see the islands opening up to tourists until the entire population is vaccinated.