Scottish Islands

8MileBU

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Was just having a look, probably go for Mull instead as I’ll be able to tick off Ben More while I’m there. I could also jump on the ferry to Iona for a day/night. Take it wild camping is alright on Iona?

There's a farm at the end of the north coast road that specifically asked campers to not set up there but use the designated campsite instead, which is located just about in the middle of the island and so about 20 minutes walk south/west from the ferry terminal and main village:

http://ionacampsite.co.uk/

If you continue along the same road for another 15 minutes to the west coast then there's a large bay that you could pitch around no bother except for some grazing sheep, there's also Saint Columba's bay over rougher tracks on the south end that might be good but I didn't go there as there was enough bog hopping involved on the climb up the main hill. 

On 03/08/2020 at 18:19, MONKMAN said:

Random question here. Having seen most of mainland Scotland I’ve never really been over to islands, so looking at heading somewhere in September (my mates wedding in Spain is getting cancelled). Looking at prices for the ferries, £240 for a car return to Barra. Is that normal price?

Fly in and land on the beach.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:19, MONKMAN said:

Random question here. Having seen most of mainland Scotland I’ve never really been over to islands, so looking at heading somewhere in September (my mates wedding in Spain is getting cancelled). Looking at prices for the ferries, £240 for a car return to Barra. Is that normal price?

Cal Mac are a bit of a monopoly I suppose. 

Was in Orkney last week and took the Pentland ferry across from Gills Bay. Was £150 for car wife and Bairn. NorthLink from Scrabster was £250 all in. Mental difference.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Cal Mac are a bit of a monopoly I suppose. 

Was in Orkney last week and took the Pentland ferry across from Gills Bay. Was £150 for car wife and Bairn. NorthLink from Scrabster was £250 all in. Mental difference.

I’ve always went on the Pentland ferry over to Orkney. Not sure why Northlink’s that much more but it’s always been much more expensive for Orkney. Were you on Pentand’s new catamaran?

28 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’ve always went on the Pentland ferry over to Orkney. Not sure why Northlink’s that much more but it’s always been much more expensive for Orkney. Were you on Pentand’s new catamaran?

I was. MV Alfred. Surprisingly smooth given it was the Pentland.

33 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I was. MV Alfred. Surprisingly smooth given it was the Pentland.

Not been up there since they got the new one yet, but been on the Pentalina a few times. I’ve only ever had one rough crossing on the Pentland but it was December. Even then it was still pretty tame compared to a ferry I got over to North Uist 🤢

We’ve been in Lewis all week and coming home tomorrow. The Ballinluig Motorgrill was operating more or less normally which is our routine stop for a fry-up on the way up the road. The ferry was not doing any food or drink at all but we went to the Seafood Shack at Ullapool which was excellent.
Have to wear masks on the boat unless you’re out on deck.
Apparently CalMac are starting a limited catering service on the main ferries starting tomorrow.
The Harris Distillery is closed. Abhainn Dearg in Uig seems to be open though.
We had 2 magnificent stags hanging around the next croft and I also saw and photographed a corncrake for the first time. No pics till later so I’ll GTF till then.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

We’ve been in Lewis all week and coming home tomorrow. The Ballinluig Motorgrill was operating more or less normally which is our routine stop for a fry-up on the way up the road. The ferry was not doing any food or drink at all but we went to the Seafood Shack at Ullapool which was excellent.
Apparently CalMac are starting a limited catering service on the main ferries starting tomorrow.
We had 2 magnificent stags hanging around the next croft and I also saw and photographed a corncrake for the first time. No pics till later so I’ll GTF till then.

This is brilliant news as I am away to Lewis for work next week on the ferry and I was rather miffed when I discovered on my recent trip to Arran that I wouldn't be able to get a Calmac breakfast! 

Looking forward to those corncrake pics! I've only ever seen one once. Was thinking the other day that I should maybe take a trip to Islay next spring on a corncrake photography mission.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Going on a day return on Tuesday, half an hour in Stornaway. It was an impulse buy, stopping Monday and Tuesday night in Ullapool and fancied a wee cruise at only £19, but was beginning to regret it thinking nothing would be open, so that's good news. Will take beer supplies anyway just in case. Heard some of the ferries make you stay in your car the whole trip which wouldn't affect me but would be a bit of a bummer. In the process of maybe buying a mini camper van so planning a trip over when the football starts up to see Ness FC at Fivepenny Machair in the far North. Social Club looks decent with bands on Saturday nights Covid permitting.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Going on a day return on Tuesday, half an hour in Stornaway. It was an impulse buy, stopping Monday and Tuesday night in Ullapool and fancied a wee cruise at only £19, but was beginning to regret it thinking nothing would be open, so that's good news. Will take beer supplies anyway just in case. Heard some of the ferries make you stay in your car the whole trip which wouldn't affect me but would be a bit of a bummer. In the process of maybe buying a mini camper van so planning a trip over when the football starts up to see Ness FC at Fivepenny Machair in the far North. Social Club looks decent with bands on Saturday nights Covid permitting.

There are plenty people who would tell you half an hour is long enough 😂
I never get long enough there as I stay 35 miles away. The arts centre An Lanntair is right near the ferry but closed till the 15th. Can only hope it’s a nice day if you’re spending 5 hours on the boat... if you’re interested in the hills you can sit on deck with a beer and identify them all. There’s a pod of dolphins in the Minch which often show up.

The Niseachs will look after you well. I saw Pele’s ICT play there once.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If they make you stay in the car on the ferry to Lewis I think you;

A - Must be seen as an utter wrong-un and a potential danger to other passengers, staff or the vessel.

B - Could be in for a healthy payout when you sue Calmac for entrapment and breach of numerous human rights and maritime laws.

27 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

There are plenty people who would tell you half an hour is long enough 😂
I never get long enough there as I stay 35 miles away. The arts centre An Lanntair is right near the ferry but closed till the 15th. Can only hope it’s a nice day if you’re spending 5 hours on the boat... if you’re interested in the hills you can sit on deck with a beer and identify them all. There’s a pod of dolphins in the Minch which often show up.

The Niseachs will look after you well. I saw Pele’s ICT play there once.

They’re pretty much a regular sight on a few of calmac’s sailings and something you’d never tire of. Favourite sighting was en-route to Islay and they came right alongside.

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

If they make you stay in the car on the ferry to Lewis I think you;

A - Must be seen as an utter wrong-un and a potential danger to other passengers, staff or the vessel.

B - Could be in for a healthy payout when you sue Calmac for entrapment and breach of numerous human rights and maritime laws.

They’re pretty much a regular sight on a few of calmac’s sailings and something you’d never tire of. Favourite sighting was en-route to Islay and they came right alongside.

Saw a massive pod of 80 - 100 on a trip round the Small Isles a couple of years ago. Thought they were porpoises but apparently they stay well away from ships and only go about in small groups.

Edited by welshbairn

Car drivers were obliged to go up to the deck on the Oban-Mull ferry, can't see how it would make sense to keep them inside their cars for much longer crossings than that. 

It felt strange to not have any services at all on the Calmac ferry though the wee cafe at Craignure does a fucking glorious roll and black pudding anyway. There's no point in adding anything else to the breakfast roll, it just gets overwhelmed by the tastiness of the black pudding. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Car drivers were obliged to go up to the deck on the Oban-Mull ferry, can't see how it would make sense to keep them inside their cars for much longer crossings than that. 

It felt strange to not have any services at all on the Calmac ferry though the wee cafe at Craignure does a fucking glorious roll and black pudding anyway. There's no point in adding anything else to the breakfast roll, it just gets overwhelmed by the tastiness of the black pudding. 

It’s less to do with the length of the crossing as opposed to holding live human beings in confined spaces in a confined space which is liable to be one of the first points to take on water or fill with smoke should @welshbairn somehow cause a catastrophe at sea.

6 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

This is brilliant news as I am away to Lewis for work next week on the ferry and I was rather miffed when I discovered on my recent trip to Arran that I wouldn't be able to get a Calmac breakfast! 

Search Facebook for more details but I got the impression it was just snacks and sandwiches.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

There’s really little difference from normal - on the larger boats you have to leave the car deck before sailing and they secure it. On the smaller open decked boats you normally have the option of leaving your car or not, so that option’s been removed. In my experience most people just sat in their cars anyway.

Looking forward to those corncrake pics! I've only ever seen one once. Was thinking the other day that I should maybe take a trip to Islay next spring on a corncrake photography mission.

ETA - Just grabbed a few snaps of two Goldies flying above the car. This is really the first day it’s looked likely for eagles all week.

Edited by The Mantis

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

23 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Search Facebook for more details but I got the impression it was just snacks and sandwiches.

Hot snacks, hot breakfast rolls* (*until 11.30am), soups, sandwiches, hot and cold drinks.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/faqs/covid19/food-and-drink

It was Islay that I saw a corncrake  - the only time i have ever seen one.  It was near the RSPB centre at Loch Gruinart. 

I think the farmers there adhere to certain land management rules/conditions to allow them to breed successfully.

29 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

It was Islay that I saw a corncrake  - the only time i have ever seen one.  It was near the RSPB centre at Loch Gruinart. 

I think the farmers there adhere to certain land management rules/conditions to allow them to breed successfully.

I’ve done some work for RSPB at their Loch Gruinart place and Oa Reserve. 

What a bunch of utter jaikie tinks! 😄

Ullapool is brilliant. I've got a day trip planned in a few weeks time which will consist of the normal variation of:

Drive early morning going "wow" every other minute.
Coffee from Deli.
Watch morning ferry come and go.
Visit to museum to read about Klondykers.
Trip to mountain shop.
Tempura Haddock Wrap from Seafood Shack.
Walk somewhere.
Bookshop on hill.
Ceilidh Place for a pint.
Bookshop inside Ceilidh Place.
Case of beer from brewery shop.
Chippy.
Leave.

It's all so reassuringly familiar.