Scottish Islands

8MileBU

14 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

15823731569_24b11bffed_b.jpg

Lovely pic. Went with the missus in 2016 but we're retired so went for a 6 day cruise with MV Cuma from Miavaig in Lewis, 2 nights there and also visited Taransay, Monach Isles and Scarp. Cost about £800 each but there were only 3 of us on a boat that's usually booked up with 12 plus kayaks.

Having withdrawal symptoms and just been reading the entire thread again 😂

Been to Mull, Iona and Lewis this year in Jan/Feb but was meant to be in Islay last week 😰

Been updating my islands list from page 1:

Shetland (maybe 20 times)- Mainland, Yell (2), Unst (2), Mousa (3 or 4), Vaila, Foula, Fair Isle, Bressay (2), Noss (2), Burra, Trondra, Fetlar, Whalsay, Muckle Roe, St Ninian's.

Orkney (2) - Mainland, Hoy, Burray, S.Ronaldsay, Rousay.

Western Isles - Lewis & Harris (maybe 100 times), N. Uist (2), S.Uist (2), Benbecula (2), Barra (2), Eriskay, Berneray, Scarp, Scalpay (3), Great Bernera, Pabbay, Monach Isles, Taransay, Hirta, Bhatarsaigh.

Inner Hebrides - Skye (maybe 15 times) , Raasay (2), Rum, Eigg (3) , Islay (3), Jura (2), Coll, Tiree, Mull (2), Iona (2), Staffa, Gigha (2), Arran (maybe 10) , Holy Isle (2), Bute (2), Great Cumbrae (2), Seil, Luing, Davaar (2).

Others - Ailsa Craig, The Bass (3), Cramond, Fidra, May (maybe 6) , Inchcolm, Inchmickery, Handa.  

Also been to Rathlin which is a kick in the erse off Scotland, and Carrick-a-Rede, St Margaret's, Burgh Island (Devon), Anglesey and Lindisfarne.

Couple of photos to relieve the boredom:

Cuillins from Portree

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.36d5012bcdd122971bc0bfe1d603a8b9.jpg

Sunset from Forsnabhal, Uig, Lewis

IMG_4524.thumb.jpg.a94bbfb02c05f61c59c22617fcbf4f08.jpg

Dawn over Uig hils, Lewis

5578.thumb.jpg.11bc6eacb8ff7a665578288a8d45bdf1.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

I've been to a few English and Welsh islands as well, but of course they're nowhere near as remote or, even island-y.  One of the unknown ones is Foulness, in Essex, which is one of the great secrets because it's hidden in plain sight.  Take a look at a roadmap and the chances are you'll just see a road marked to a village called Churchend.   What it won't tell you is that you can only drive on that road on the first Sunday from April-September, and you cannot drive off it anywhere, because the island is owned by the Army, which uses it for missile testing (shooting over sea rather than over land - they can retrieve the ballistics). 

The other way for people to get to St Kilda is on a round Britain cruise, but that's pretty expensive.  But you are more or less guaranteed (norovirus/covid permitting) to get there.

I did go onto Scalpay and Berneray, just for a drive around, and on the latter saw a great road sign...

36403091666_12bdf261b3.jpg

On 27/07/2019 at 12:40, The Mantis said:

Was going to put this in the photography thread, but I'll put it here instead. Got one of the runner-up prizes in the Calmac calendar competition for 2020. Don't know which of my 3 entries it was. Have to wait till the free calendar comes in August. Got £50 in vouchers too. Don't enter many comps as I feel it's a bit of a scam to get photos for free. Calmac have paid £250 to the winner and 11x£50 making £800, but they must have got thousands of images out of it.

IMG_7426.thumb.jpg.30e966268dca750325390de5c38485ba.jpg

4560.thumb.jpg.ed16f198b6f74ebc8ce6e5c97b045531.jpg

_MG_4561.thumb.jpg.5e12547099ee10f867135484debcb230.jpg

Which one made the calendar? I'd have chosen the Arran ferry one as it's a phenomenal pic imo. The other two are pretty good too btw.

23 minutes ago, microdave said:

Which one made the calendar? I'd have chosen the Arran ferry one as it's a phenomenal pic imo. The other two are pretty good too btw.

Haha yes I assumed the Arran one but seemingly they had chosen the two small boats at Mallaig at night. However they haven’t used it.
After sending me my £50 in vouchers they emailed me apologising that they couldn’t use it for ‘political reasons’ but I would still get a free calendar. It was taken in 2015 and the boat had moved to Oban or something. It didn’t make sense to me and after the calendars were out (and I never got one) I queried it but never got a reply, then I contacted marketing in the new year asking about my free calendar but they still never replied 🤷‍♂️

As far as the Arran one goes, it’s done really well in camera club comps, but when you see what goes into your average calendar, it’s a bit too dramatic. Over the years I’ve had a few images in calendars and they usually choose quite bland stuff.

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Haha yes I assumed the Arran one but seemingly they had chosen the two small boats at Mallaig at night. However they haven’t used it.
After sending me my £50 in vouchers they emailed me apologising that they couldn’t use it for ‘political reasons’ but I would still get a free calendar. It was taken in 2015 and the boat had moved to Oban or something. It didn’t make sense to me and after the calendars were out (and I never got one) I queried it but never got a reply, then I contacted marketing in the new year asking about my free calendar but they still never replied 🤷‍♂️

As far as the Arran one goes, it’s done really well in camera club comps, but when you see what goes into your average calendar, it’s a bit too dramatic. Over the years I’ve had a few images in calendars and they usually choose quite bland stuff.

It's not like Calmac to be disorganised!

Will be interested to see how long it takes the islands to open to non-resident visitors as the lockdown restrictions likely ease during the summer. Obviously nobody wants another parade of motorhome berks streaming over to 'isolate' themselves, but surely it would be possible to use a proof of residency system to filter and allow temporary, time limited (even one day) access? Can't see the local economies faring well at all if they're going to be cut adrift for the most of the visitor season but the ability of the authorities to police this might just be too much of an obstacle.

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

Will be interested to see how long it takes the islands to open to non-resident visitors as the lockdown restrictions likely ease during the summer. Obviously nobody wants another parade of motorhome berks streaming over to 'isolate' themselves, but surely it would be possible to use a proof of residency system to filter and allow temporary, time limited (even one day) access? Can't see the local economies faring well at all if they're going to be cut adrift for the most of the visitor season but the ability of the authorities to police this might just be too much of an obstacle.

I speak to several folk on various islands at least once a week. The guys on the lesser populated isles don’t seem to be particularly worried about the virus at all. They’re all far more concerned about the potential impact on their own income and for the wider island economy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My hotel have been in contact to say they've cancelled my booking to Eriskay in September due to COVID. Pretty surprised given the gradual reopening of hotels from July. I'm a bit scunnered by this year, I'd just recently persuaded myself a trip in September would be viable. Sigh.

9 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My hotel have been in contact to say they've cancelled my booking to Eriskay in September due to COVID. Pretty surprised given the gradual reopening of hotels from July. I'm a bit scunnered by this year, I'd just recently persuaded myself a trip in September would be viable. Sigh.

We were meant to be up in Lewis & Harris last week but the agency we booked our house through got in touch at start of May to say it was cancelled. They offered us a price-match and the opportunity to book up again for the same time next year so we’ve taken them up on the offer. 
So with the 5 mile restriction lifted, is island travel for visits/breaks now possible? I’ve been pretty busy this last week so not really paid much attention to the recent relaxation of lockdown rules. I’d be pleasantly surprised if the islands are opening up to visitors again as I know in the initial draft of Scotland’s routemap out of lockdown, island travel wasn’t due until Phase 5... 🤔

We were meant to be up in Lewis & Harris last week but the agency we booked our house through got in touch at start of May to say it was cancelled. They offered us a price-match and the opportunity to book up again for the same time next year so we’ve taken them up on the offer. 
So with the 5 mile restriction lifted, is island travel for visits/breaks now possible? I’ve been pretty busy this last week so not really paid much attention to the recent relaxation of lockdown rules. I’d be pleasantly surprised if the islands are opening up to visitors again as I know in the initial draft of Scotland’s routemap out of lockdown, island travel wasn’t due until Phase 5... [emoji848]
I hadn't looked all that much into the loosening of the islands restrictions admittedly, but had assumed things were ramping up for July as an Islay hotel owner I follow on twitter was chirping on about all of their new bookings and how the ferry timetable was increasing frequency.

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Surprised by that, my sister's booked a cottage in Lochcarron in a couple of weeks and CalMac's opening up over July. Sounds like they've just decided to mothball for the season rather than play wait and see. I'd look around for somewhere else to stay.

Edited by welshbairn

Anybody have a link to cal-mac summer timetable?

Their website has the current reduced timetable, although after July 15th you'd imagine they'll revert back to the usual one 

Trying to organise a wee Highlands and Islands jaunt in late July

Anybody have a link to cal-mac summer timetable?
Their website has the current reduced timetable, although after July 15th you'd imagine they'll revert back to the usual one 
Trying to organise a wee Highlands and Islands jaunt in late July
Calmac publishing them tomorrow.

We’re wondering about a trip to Lewis and Harris about a month from now. But also wondering if this might not be the greatest time to visit given the Covid situation.

What’s the deal with ferries? If I understand correctly they’re currently running with substantially reduced capacity. Is this likely to be relaxed?

Also, what are the thoughts up there on visitors from Glasgow? I don’t want to viewed as part of the problem if the prevailing feeling is worry about people bringing Covid in.

And any thoughts about the availability of accommodation? I’m guessing fewer places might be open and/or it’ll be more popular than other years with more people looking to holiday in Scotland this year.

1 hour ago, Adamski said:

We’re wondering about a trip to Lewis and Harris about a month from now. But also wondering if this might not be the greatest time to visit given the Covid situation.

What’s the deal with ferries? If I understand correctly they’re currently running with substantially reduced capacity. Is this likely to be relaxed?

Also, what are the thoughts up there on visitors from Glasgow? I don’t want to viewed as part of the problem if the prevailing feeling is worry about people bringing Covid in.

And any thoughts about the availability of accommodation? I’m guessing fewer places might be open and/or it’ll be more popular than other years with more people looking to holiday in Scotland this year.

I think the reduced capacity will be in place for quite a while yet. The larger ferries have greater capacity on the car deck but unfortunately you cannot stay in the car on those ferries, so whilst social distancing rules remain in place, reduced passenger capacity will have to be applied to the public areas.

There's a bit of an issue on the ground in the western isles in that many in the community - including tourism businesses - don't actually want hoardes of tourists coming up.

Some have said they aren't opening this year at all.

I'll be leaving it until 2021 myself