Scottish Islands

8MileBU

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Supposed to be heading to Islay for my Easter holiday today.

Building this lego will have to do instead. Early stages are looking promising.

Gutted not be be going "home". IMG_20200404_100716.jpegIMG_20200404_095618.jpeg

Is there a launch ceremony in the bath upon completion?

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Just finished it. Four hours of my life. Taught my wee boy several new colourful words to add to his vocabulary.

I'm going to try and sail it to Islay now.

You did better at putting an island ferry together than Ferguson's Shipyards.

22 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Supposed to be heading to Islay for my Easter holiday today.

Building this lego will have to do instead. Early stages are looking promising.

Gutted not be be going "home". IMG_20200404_100716.jpegIMG_20200404_095618.jpeg

Feeling your pain. I was supposed to be taking an old mate over next Friday for a few days. He did most of the driving back when we used to climb Munros. So this was a bit of payback as he's over 80 now. Hopefully do the trip in September.

53 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Feeling your pain. I was supposed to be taking an old mate over next Friday for a few days. He did most of the driving back when we used to climb Munros. So this was a bit of payback as he's over 80 now. Hopefully do the trip in September.

I’m going through a prolonged case of squeaky bum at the moment. We were booked for Majorca in June but then Tam Cook went bust.

After a consultation with our wee lass, she advised us she wasn’t all that bothered about booking a different abroad holiday and she wanted to go to Lewis & Harris “Coz the beaches look better”. 

All good with Maw and Da’ so a camping pod, nice hoose and return ferry trip were booked. Now I’m just living in the hope that restrictions have been lifted by the time we’re due to go. 

58 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’m going through a prolonged case of squeaky bum at the moment. We were booked for Majorca in June but then Tam Cook went bust.

After a consultation with our wee lass, she advised us she wasn’t all that bothered about booking a different abroad holiday and she wanted to go to Lewis & Harris “Coz the beaches look better”. 

All good with Maw and Da’ so a camping pod, nice hoose and return ferry trip were booked. Now I’m just living in the hope that restrictions have been lifted by the time we’re due to go. 

My missus rents out the house in Lewis. 11 weeks bookings all summer she's just had to refund. Still if restrictions are lifted we can always take our pick when to go up ourselves 🤣 
Where's the pod?

We've also cancelled a motorhome trip up north late May, so hopefully can go in September. I think we're going to lose money on Euro 2020 though. Booked to go to Budapest with Ryanair for 4 days but it's unclear what's happening beyond May with them. Hotel is paid for too so need to look into that.

32 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

My missus rents out the house in Lewis. 11 weeks bookings all summer she's just had to refund. Still if restrictions are lifted we can always take our pick when to go up ourselves 🤣 
Where's the pod?

We've also cancelled a motorhome trip up north late May, so hopefully can go in September. I think we're going to lose money on Euro 2020 though. Booked to go to Budapest with Ryanair for 4 days but it's unclear what's happening beyond May with them. Hotel is paid for too so need to look into that.

Place is at Aird, think it’s about 10 mins from Stornaway.

We’re still booked and desperate to go, but it’ll get refunded if we aren’t able to go.

9 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Place is at Aird, think it’s about 10 mins from Stornaway.

We’re still booked and desperate to go, but it’ll get refunded if we aren’t able to go.

Ah right, I see there's an Aird in Point with pods. Usually people mean Aird Uig which is near us, but that's about 50 mins. It's Crowlista we're in.

3 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Ah right, I see there's an Aird in Point with pods. Usually people mean Aird Uig which is near us, but that's about 50 mins. It's Crowlista we're in.

It’s a house in Aird we have booked. The pod is on the mainland but just for one night so we can get the earlier ferry over to Lewis the next day. The sailing times aren’t ideal so the later one would’ve effectively wiped out most of the first day booked.

6 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

It’s a house in Aird we have booked. The pod is on the mainland but just for one night so we can get the earlier ferry over to Lewis the next day. The sailing times aren’t ideal so the later one would’ve effectively wiped out most of the first day booked.

It's always a bugger getting up there. When our kids were wee, we bundled them into the car about 5am with blankets and drove up to Ullapool for the morning ferry. Now it's just me and the missus retired we take a leisurely run up, get a fry up at Ballinluig and groceries at Inverness then get the 5.30 boat. 

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

It's always a bugger getting up there. When our kids were wee, we bundled them into the car about 5am with blankets and drove up to Ullapool for the morning ferry. Now it's just me and the missus retired we take a leisurely run up, get a fry up at Ballinluig and groceries at Inverness then get the 5.30 boat. 

I often dream that it’d be nice to win the lotto (doesn’t everyone?) but ultimately winning just enough money to have a wee home away from home up there would be amazing.

Edited by 8MileBU

I often dream that it’d be nice to win the lotto (doesn’t everyone?) but ultimately winning just enough money to have a wee home away from home up there would be amazing.
You've been inside my head! What I'm after is just enough of a lotto win to have a wee flat in Edinburgh and Glasgow for weekends (pubs, gigs, fitba, films and culture), and to spend most of my weekdays in my beachfront cottage on any Hebridean island (walking, reading books, endlessly staring out of the window).

Where your only worry in life would be when you rocked up at one property but remembered you'd left your half drunk bottle of 1980 Port Ellen in another. Or when you get to Hebridean House but suddenly really fancy a curry.

One day I'll even start buying lotto tickets to give me a chance to realise this.

39 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

You've been inside my head! What I'm after is just enough of a lotto win to have a wee flat in Edinburgh and Glasgow for weekends (pubs, gigs, fitba, films and culture), and to spend most of my weekdays in my beachfront cottage on any Hebridean island (walking, reading books, endlessly staring out of the window).

Where your only worry in life would be when you rocked up at one property but remembered you'd left your half drunk bottle of 1980 Port Ellen in another. Or when you get to Hebridean House but suddenly really fancy a curry.

One day I'll even start buying lotto tickets to give me a chance to realise this.

f**k Edinburgh. If I were to have a flat there it’d purely be an investment and to shamelessly kick the arse out the profits to be made when the festival is on. Such an overrated city!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to:

Shetland (Mainland, Unst, Yell, Mousa)

Orkney (Mainland, Lamb Holm)

Lewis/Harris

North Uist

Benbecula

South Uist

Arran

Bute

Lismore

Gigha

Jura

Islay

Mull

Iona

Staffa

St Kilda

Skye

I worked in Scotland for a year so basically explored as much as I could when Blues weren't at home.   I'd love to re-visit most of these places, I didn't get to spend a lot of time on any of them, but I got in a few distilleries, stone circles, Neolithic villages, the usual.  I got the best sunset I can recall on Harris.

29656489983_9c2bce5434_b.jpg

Got lucky with St Kilda.  Went with Seumas on the SeaHarris bouncy boat.   It had not been a good year weatherwise so most of his trips had been cancelled, but it was perfect the day I went.

15823731569_24b11bffed_b.jpg

On 01/03/2020 at 17:52, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Just booked a trip to Eriskay in the Autumn, seed entirely planted by the famous AVFTT film.

Evenings in the Politician on Eriskay eating the catch of the day and getting gently pished.

EDIT: oh my days. I've just found out there is a cup final in the Barra & Uist league during my visit. Glorious.

Forgot to say (not sure if you've been before) there's some genuine cloudy pish-like seawater bottles from Am Politician on show in the bar.
A wee bit jealous if you're getting to see a game too...

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I've been to:

Shetland (Mainland, Unst, Yell, Mousa)

Orkney (Mainland, Lamb Holm)

Lewis/Harris

North Uist

Benbecula

South Uist

Arran

Bute

Lismore

Gigha

Jura

Islay

Mull

Iona

Staffa

St Kilda

Skye

I worked in Scotland for a year so basically explored as much as I could when Blues weren't at home.   I'd love to re-visit most of these places, I didn't get to spend a lot of time on any of them, but I got in a few distilleries, stone circles, Neolithic villages, the usual.  I got the best sunset I can recall on Harris.

29656489983_9c2bce5434_b.jpg

Got lucky with St Kilda.  Went with Seumas on the SeaHarris bouncy boat.   It had not been a good year weatherwise so most of his trips had been cancelled, but it was perfect the day I went.

15823731569_24b11bffed_b.jpg

I would love to do St Kilda one day. I’d be a certainty to be spewing my load on that boat though. Those photos are stunning. It’s stuff like that that makes me proud of starting this thread! 😎