Scottish Islands

8MileBU

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Just back from a week working in Stornoway. Managed to get a half day on Friday so went down to Harris. 

Was quite excited about going to Talla na Mara. Setting is superb and beautiful building but food wasnt great. Its community owned though so give them a go.

You cant argue with views from the restaurant though.

20190927_140440.jpg

Brand new Uig Sands restaurant in Lewis with a view to rival this. Never managed to get in last week though as it's not open a lot now in the off season, especially at lunchtimes.

2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Brand new Uig Sands restaurant in Lewis with a view to rival this. Never managed to get in last week though as it's not open a lot now in the off season, especially at lunchtimes.

FFS I never knew a thing about this, I would definitely have checked it out. It looks great.

I was almost going to Uig to get lunch at the museum but didn't have any cash and wasn't sure of the set up there so went to Harris instead

47 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

FFS I never knew a thing about this, I would definitely have checked it out. It looks great.

I was almost going to Uig to get lunch at the museum but didn't have any cash and wasn't sure of the set up there so went to Harris instead

Wee cafe at the museum takes cards. Home bakes are terrific. Some of my old photos up on the screen there. old crofters who are long gone.

• 1 month later...

Heading on a wee road trip next week, overnight stays in Glasgow (for a gig), Tarbert and a long weekend in Islay. Hoping to visit Machrihanish, Campbeltown and a greatest hits blast around Islay. Some whisky may be consumed. Much needed break after a pretty frazzled few weeks. Weather doesn't look too crappy for December, but keeping an eye on the wind speed for ferry days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back from a few days in Mull and Iona with the missus. Was last there in 1989.
Failed in the no. 1 objective which was decent close up otter shots, but had a great time despite mixed weather. I see I've got over 200 photies so that tells a story. Wifie saw 3 otters. I only saw 1 as I was driving, and a distant sea eagle in the Sound of Mull. Managed a visit to the distillery where they were very generous 😉

7J1A7436.thumb.jpg.76ebbb9ee1f3ef57b6e7077446b2803f.jpg

JB7D7449.thumb.jpg.1704eef543b5718fa7bb9839e17adf0a.jpg

7J1A7376.thumb.jpg.aefe7e417ddf895297102c06a6d0aaca.jpg

7J1A7405.thumb.jpg.efcb7b78f79301119245d1e1e5690618.jpg

JB7D7462.thumb.jpg.b813f4f2d947ac13bcf4f435327e48b0.jpg

7J1A7380.thumb.jpg.9f4a4ebc1f3545997eed62ad4926130b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
First visit of the year to Lewis last week to check on the state of the house. Water still pishing in through a leak in the porch, since you asked. Weather was fucking awful but at least I got some decent deer pics.
JB7D7515.thumb.jpg.593d40a03fef189b97709ffb83b041d4.jpg
7J1A7526.thumb.jpg.4f306e8d7575c46adcff257faa03cc6f.jpg
JB7D7540.thumb.jpg.9c12142d10ff27eb4835a8a5dca96043.jpg
Those are fantastic mate. What sort of distance were you away from them?

12 minutes ago, spud131 said:
5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

First visit of the year to Lewis last week to check on the state of the house. Water still pishing in through a leak in the porch, since you asked. Weather was fucking awful but at least I got some decent deer pics.

Those are fantastic mate. What sort of distance were you away from them?

The first one was on the next croft so only about 30 yards. You can go about your business as long as you don’t walk towards them. The other two were at the roadside so maybe 40 yards. They don’t run away even if you get out the car, I went into the boot for another lens and the big guy never got off his erse 😂 The two younger ones only got to their feet and looked a bit nervous.

Just booked a trip to Eriskay in the Autumn, seed entirely planted by the famous AVFTT film.

Three nights, two full days up there. One day most definitely will be spent exploring Barra (have never been), second day I might venture as far as Harris (haven't been since 2015).

Evenings in the Politician on Eriskay eating the catch of the day and getting gently pished.

Six Calmac journeys. A run up and down the A82 through Glencoe and onto Skye.

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

EDIT: oh my days. I've just found out there is a cup final in the Barra & Uist league during my visit. Glorious.

Just booked a trip to Eriskay in the Autumn, seed entirely planted by the famous AVFTT film.

Three nights, two full days up there. One day most definitely will be spent exploring Barra (have never been), second day I might venture as far as Harris (haven't been since 2015).

Evenings in the Politician on Eriskay eating the catch of the day and getting gently pished.

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

EDIT: oh my days. I've just found out there is a cup final in the Barra & Uist league during my visit. Glorious.

Great post ruined by use of ‘oh my days’. Sounds a grand trip though!

On 01/03/2020 at 17:52, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

I was there only once and it was before the causeway was built. I seem to remember a wooden house painted completely green including the fence round it and called “Celtic View”. I wish I had taken a pic and wonder if it’s still there. 

Really don't see the point in just battering through without at least stopping over in Mull for a few days; the same bus company offers regular buses to Fionnphort anyway.

Something for stupid old boomers who can't keep hold of two separate tickets IMO.

Iona is shite. Its like any church in any village in Scotland.

I say that as someone with a massive interest in the Gaelic church, Lordship of the Isles etc.

Ruined by having to share with actual Christians 

By all means go but don't make it the focus of your trip. Nip over for an hour as part of a Mull trip. 

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Really don't see the point in just battering through without at least stopping over in Mull for a few days; the same bus company offers regular buses to Fionnphort anyway.

Something for stupid old boomers who can't keep hold of two separate tickets IMO.

Already done Mull so naw too fussed about stopping over there. Was more an excuse to get Iona in.