Help required

It is definetely Celtic Park from circa late 60's.

We often wore a dark green strip then when some teams had a lot of white in their kit, the Celtic player pictured is Jim Brogan, not sure of opponents but im going to have a guess at Ayr Utd ?

The first Celtic game I ever attended, taken as a boy by my cousin, was Celtic 3 Clyde 0, I think in 1966. That was my immediate thought seeing the picture. I remember Celtic wearing the all-green kit and the red haired player in the team was too big to be Jimmy Johnstone. (It was Chris Shevlane; that's not him in the picture.) Harry Hood was playing for Clyde. Clyde's strip was like that, and like Jim, above, I thought the Celtic player was Willie O'Neill.

However, the suggestion of Jim Brogan is, I think, correct, so it was a bit later in the sixties. Also: the collar of the away team's shirt looks black and Ayr's strip was like that.

in other words - I'm not sure.

The first Celtic game I ever attended, taken as a boy by my cousin, was Celtic 3 Clyde 0, I think in 1966. That was my immediate thought seeing the picture. I remember Celtic wearing the all-green kit and the red haired player in the team was too big to be Jimmy Johnstone. (It was Chris Shevlane; that's not him in the picture.) Harry Hood was playing for Clyde. Clyde's strip was like that, and like Jim, above, I thought the Celtic player was Willie O'Neill.

However, the suggestion of Jim Brogan is, I think, correct, so it was a bit later in the sixties. Also: the collar of the away team's shirt looks black and Ayr's strip was like that.

in other words - I'm not sure.

I'm sure Ayr United played in black & white hooped shirts around then as they definitely wore hooped shirts when they played Dundee at Dens Park on a Friday night in March 67 as Dundee United were at home in the Scottish Cup QF on the Saturday.

30 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I'm sure Ayr United played in black & white hooped shirts around then as they definitely wore hooped shirts when they played Dundee at Dens Park on a Friday night in March 67 as Dundee United were at home in the Scottish Cup QF on the Saturday.

Looking again at the picture, the shirt collar isn't as dark as the black shorts - so Clyde it is! Any Clyde fans recognise the big striker? 

It is definetely Celtic Park from circa late 60's.
We often wore a dark green strip then when some teams had a lot of white in their kit, the Celtic player pictured is Jim Brogan, not sure of opponents but im going to have a guess at Ayr Utd ?

It's Celtic v Clyde LC 1966 Jim Brogan didn't play but Willie O'Neil did so I think it's him

Amazing, Jim, that you should post this. I remember it well - my first visit to Parkhead with my now dead older cousin. Memories of the game: I thought Jimmy Johnstone was taller than I appreciated as the teams came out, only to be advised that  the ginge was Shevlane. It was a 3-0 romp. Do you have any more details of the match?

3 hours ago, jim bhoy said:

It's Celtic v Clyde LC 1966 Jim Brogan didn't play but Willie O'Neil did so I think it's him

Fairly certain it's Willie O'Neill.  Here's another picture from the same game.  Not sure what the black arm bands are for.

GW1002H784

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Amazing, Jim, that you should post this. I remember it well - my first visit to Parkhead with my now dead older cousin. Memories of the game: I thought Jimmy Johnstone was taller than I appreciated as the teams came out, only to be advised that  the ginge was Shevlane. It was a 3-0 romp. Do you have any more details of the match?

Celtic vs Clyde in the 66 League Cup was a 6-0 victory for Celtic.  It was the following season in a league match that saw Celtic win 3-0 with Shevlane playing for Celtic and Hood for Clyde.  

Celtic team that day was Simpson, Shevlane, Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Clark, Chalmers, McMahon, Wallace, Auld, Lennox and Hughes as the sub.

Clyde team.  Wright, Glasgow, Soutar, Anderson, Fraser, McHugh, McFarlane, Hood, Gilroy, Staite, Hastings and Steele as the sub.

You'd have been one of 37,000 people there seeing Celtic unfurl the league flag and like the League Cup game of the previous season, we also wore our all green strip.

GW484H310

59 minutes ago, resk said:

Home teams wearing their change kit. Actually makes more sense because, well, they're at home... where all their kit is.

The norm in Scotland until about the early 80s I think.

I like the idea.  Sort of good manners to change to accommodate your guests.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The norm in Scotland until about the early 80s I think.

I like the idea.  Sort of good manners to change to accommodate your guests.

I like it too. Aberdeen always wore their change strip at home in the seventies against Hearts, United and Thistle.

Archived