Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

Some of the rumours doing the rounds are mental. There seems to be a very strong belief that Jamie Roberts is in, Davies is a stick on, and Joseph is out! Also, sounds like Scotland will be lucky to get any more than one player in the squad.

There is no fucking way I'm paying for Sky Sports and getting up early to watch Jamie fucking Roberts trundling into crash balls.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's almost certainly because he didn't have time to do a 'dossier' on every player.
I was a guest at a fairly prestigious corporate 'do' in 1994 where Sir Clive was the keynote speaker, after England's WC win, and he droned on for over an hour reading out the details of each team member's training schedule and diet.  Not one single remark about rugby as a sport.
I acknowledge his achievement but deprecate his attitude.

He must've really bored you if it seems like it was in 1994 instead of 2004!

That's almost certainly because he didn't have time to do a 'dossier' on every player.
I was a guest at a fairly prestigious corporate 'do' in 1994 where Sir Clive was the keynote speaker, after England's WC win, and he droned on for over an hour reading out the details of each team member's training schedule and diet.  Not one single remark about rugby as a sport.
I acknowledge his achievement but deprecate his attitude.

Heard some 3rd hand anecdotes that even in the England set up he very much had his favourites eg matt Dawson n was pretty unpopular for claiming the glory when stuff went well and delegating blame when it went wrong. Outside of his slams n rwc he led England to some real humpings and a lot of mutterings from players that essentially andy Robinson was driving force behind rwc with Woodward rarely seen. Comes over as a p***k n loves putting boot into any English coach that loses. Has plenty of media chums though.

1 minute ago, same_ol_g35 said:

He must've really bored you if it seems like it was in 1994 instead of 2004!

It was a dry do.  An hour in Sir Clive's company without a drink was like 2 decades.

You're right, though.  I got the number wrong but the spirit right.

Some of the rumours doing the rounds are mental. There seems to be a very strong belief that Jamie Roberts is in, Davies is a stick on, and Joseph is out! Also, sounds like Scotland will be lucky to get any more than one player in the squad.
There is no fucking way I'm paying for Sky Sports and getting up early to watch Jamie fucking Roberts trundling into crash balls.

Gatland is gonna ship 50 + each test if some of the selection rumours are true. I still hope we have minimal players exposed to this shambles and keep our guys for our own tour.

21 hours ago, dogmc said:

Was a farce tbh. Hed battered the nz n sa props and was in great form arguably best lh in northern hemisphere n none of the lions coaches including scrum coach rowntree bothered watching him live. Absolute dung English props were picked incl matt Stevens n vuinipola which very nearly cost the test series. Grant has never recovered his form since then. Euan Murray was treated as disdainfully in prev tour. This time out reckon hogg will be in test squad (quite possibly on bench though gatland will be under pressure to pick him from all sections of media). Johnny will be in squad i think maybe on bench for tests but more likely wed team. Laidlaw might go in the wed team. Tbh i dont think gatland will take anymore. Nel is injured n gatland was fuming about toony snubbing the chance to carry the cones so much as there are plenty of other guys deserving i doubt they will get a sniff.

The Grant thing was weird. Both he and Corbiserio weren't picked, despite being two of the best and most in form props in the world at the time. I think part of the problem was they were a wee bit before their time. Almost all props now look and play the way Grant and Corbs did then, but back then all Gatland wanted was those fat, hairy, Welsh shiters who were only good at cheating in scrums and had to be hauled off after 50 mins to be strapped into their ventilators.

The Grant thing was weird. Both he and Corbiserio weren't picked, despite being two of the best and most in form props in the world at the time. I think part of the problem was they were a wee bit before their time. Almost all props now look and play the way Grant and Corbs did then, but back then all Gatland wanted was those fat, hairy, Welsh shiters who were only good at cheating in scrums and had to be hauled off after 50 mins to be strapped into their ventilators.

Picking vunipola was the one that really boiled my piss. Never been able to scrummage n it almost cost a test series against a side that a pish Scotland team beat home n away.

More rumours on bbc website that Hartley wont make squad (decent decisions hes a disciplinary liability) and Warburton will not only be in squad but will be skipper !!?? Hes been pish all season. Last Glasgow game v cardiff i didnt realise hed played til the post match interviews. Apparently only hogg and either maitland or Seymour will be picked from Scotland. Would amuse me if hogg told gatland to ram it. Gatland will be brutalised by the English media for ignoring so many of their players when the inevitable thumpings occur. Id hope we dont send in players as injury cover and concentrate on our own tour. This should be start point to next rwc n lions is now an irrelevance with that clown in charge of them.

6 minutes ago, dogmc said:

More rumours on bbc website that Hartley wont make squad (decent decisions hes a disciplinary liability) and Warburton will not only be in squad but will be skipper !!?? Hes been pish all season. Last Glasgow game v cardiff i didnt realise hed played til the post match interviews. Apparently only hogg and either maitland or Seymour will be picked from Scotland. Would amuse me if hogg told gatland to ram it. Gatland will be brutalised by the English media for ignoring so many of their players when the inevitable thumpings occur. Id hope we dont send in players as injury cover and concentrate on our own tour. This should be start point to next rwc n lions is now an irrelevance with that clown in charge of them.

Telegraph seem to think they know the squad. They've got only Hogg from Scotland. Seymour and Maitland miss out to Nowell and Earls. Teo, Davies and Roberts preferred to the good centers who play for the home nations. Biggar is in there as well. In fact, the entire Welsh back line, the most impotent in the six nations, make it. Apart from Scott Williams of course, the one who actually looked OK.

Telegraph seem to think they know the squad. They've got only Hogg from Scotland. Seymour and Maitland miss out to Nowell and Earls. Teo, Davies and Roberts preferred to the good centers who play for the home nations. Biggar is in there as well. In fact, the entire Welsh back line, the most impotent in the six nations, make it. Apart from Scott Williams of course, the one who actually looked OK.

Fucking hell [emoji23] someone needs to put the pacific islands on a tsunami alert due to everone in new Zealand pishing themselves. Gatland must have put his life savings on a whitewash for nz !

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

I remember when I used to love The Lions.  Changed days.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Me too. The 1997 series against South Africa, the first test especially, was one of my favourite sporting occasions of all time. If Townsend and Guscott were playing now they'd be at home watching Dan Biggar chuck crash balls at Jamie Roberts.

Yep. Same. It was very nearly done prior to 89 tour due to poor results n lots of in fighting on prev tours. 89 apparently was a lot of factionalism behind the scenes but the squad came together. The 97 tour was the highlight of lions during my lifetime cos a) they pissed off the English media n pundits with some very left field but ultimately brilliant selections b ) they beat the saffers n left them utterly seething c) the living with the lions doc n that telfer speech.
If the selection rumours are correct i think that more than just Scotland fans will feel disenfranchised. Theres a real chance of not just losing all the tests heavily but losing a good portion of the provincial games too. I wonder if its a real humiliation will there be a subsequent lions tour? Its a bit of an anomaly already in modern rugby and its only really the commercial appeal that has kept it going. Gatland was always a bad choice albeit with very few other willing candidates, but he coukd end up being disastrous for the whole lions conceot.

Me too. The 1997 series against South Africa, the first test especially, was one of my favourite sporting occasions of all time. If Townsend and Guscott were playing now they'd be at home watching Dan Biggar chuck crash balls at Jamie Roberts.

Not to mention tom smith n paul wallace not getting a sniff....or Bentley. All too small. Theres something wrong when the selections from 20 years ago are more forward thinking than Gatlands...

Agree with a dogmc about not wanting any Scottish players to go and also regarding Warburton during the Glasgow-Cardiff game. My dad asked at near the end if he was playing because he hadn't seen him and I said I only knew he was as I'd seen him leading Cardiff out the tunnel.

Also, Dan Biggar :lol:

Agree with a dogmc about not wanting any Scottish players to go and also regarding Warburton during the Glasgow-Cardiff game. My dad asked at near the end if he was playing because he hadn't seen him and I said I only knew he was as I'd seen him leading Cardiff out the tunnel.
Also, Dan Biggar [emoji38]

Wales fans were screaming for biggar to be dropped in favour of sam Davies. I can only assume Gatlands moving back to nz after the tour. Hes gonna be slaughtered by the media here.

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

Me too. The 1997 series against South Africa, the first test especially, was one of my favourite sporting occasions of all time. 

I was living in Hackney in 1997 and was (still am) pals with a bloke from Neath and we organised ourselves to watch the test matches in what was then Terry Neill's (ex Arsenal) wine bar on Holborn Viaduct.

My mate had wanted some leek-muncher in as prop instead of Tom Smith.  Instead, the bold Tam confounded the rugby world by being one of the best players of the tournament.

I was living in Hackney in 1997 and was (still am) pals with a bloke from Neath and we organised ourselves to watch the test matches in what was then Terry Neill's (ex Arsenal) wine bar on Holborn Viaduct.
My mate had wanted some leek-muncher in as prop instead of Tom Smith.  Instead, the bold Tam confounded the rugby world by being one of the best players of the tournament.

Hadnt even been capped by Scotland at that point. English media were fuming that him n Wallace had been picked for squad ahead of English props. Turned to pure apoplexy when they were picked for tests [emoji16] Picking Bentley from league was unpopular too yet the selections were inspired.

Archived