Canary Islands

welshbairn

13 hours ago, CraigFairlie said:

Think it must have been to be with the testing. Was cancelled by the travel agents and not us. 

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s pretty crap.  We flew out yesterday.

#playablanca 

image.jpeg.858c9b06f937fb7e93a7714f8eec44d5.jpeg

^^^ CraigFairlie

• 2 weeks later...
Heading for a wee 4 night break at the end of Feb to Maspalomas in Gran Canaria.
Done Lanzarote and Fuerteventura but not Gran Canaria. Is there any in particular worth doing?

Was there in November. Great big long beach but not much going on otherwise outside the usual hotel stuff. Better to head in to Playa Del Ingles, which is about 15-20 mins on the bus away. Yumbo Centre is always got a good buzz about it, right in the middle of PDE.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Was there in November. Great big long beach but not much going on otherwise outside the usual hotel stuff. Better to head in to Playa Del Ingles, which is about 15-20 mins on the bus away. Yumbo Centre is always got a good buzz about it, right in the middle of PDE.

Cheers, I expect it to be dead at the end of Feb. Just glad to get somewhere a bit warmer for a while.

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

I haven't been away in years on holiday. What would you consider a good price for a week in one of the Canary Islands, decent hotel, at least half board, with transfers and luggage included?

Get on to jet2’s website just now, price depends on what you’re looking for, everyone’s idea of decent hotel is different, for some folks its a 3 star near the beach/bar areas and for others its a 4/5 star out of the way etc. What time of year you looking to go? Is it just you and the other half or are you taking the kids too? i have booked a good few holiday packages with jet2 and in terms of the value for money, decent aircraft, luggage included/transfers, good number of routes out of Glasgow/Edinburgh they are hard to beat, lots of sales on just now. STRONGLY ADVISE you to book direct with them rather than go through a high street travel agent who would basically sell you the same holiday but bump the price up to take a cut. 
Had a quick look 5th Feb, number of deals from Edinburgh, 4 star A/I around £600 pp in Lanzarote. Same date from Glasgow about £650 for 4 star A/I, half board options about £100 per person cheaper than that. -nb they’ve actually got a ‘save £100’ offer on just now so you can take that off those prices too. Actually might try book something myself now haha. 

• 1 month later...

Booked up for Lanzarote next month, staying in Playa Blanca. What is Arrecife airport like? My only other experience of tourist trap island airports was Heraklion and I fucking hated every second of that shithole.

5 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Booked up for Lanzarote next month, staying in Playa Blanca. What is Arrecife airport like? My only other experience of tourist trap island airports was Heraklion and I fucking hated every second of that shithole.

Airport is fine, usually lots of taxis.  If the testing regime is still in place it is dealt with very efficiently at the airport, passport control slower now due to the U.K. being a third country.

PB is getting steadier now, I’d imagine by April it will be very busy.

In Tenerife just now, airport was great we were in our taxi about 20 mins after touch down. Just make sure you have the Spanish passenger locator form filled out and have the QR code either printer off or on your phone.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Not sure what I was expecting from Playa Blanca or Lanzarote in general but it was a bit too heavy on the fitba top wearing red faced UK folk for my liking

Which part of Playa Blanca were you staying in.  I think it’s a phenomenon in all Spanish holiday resorts but I find the marina are of PB less so.

40 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Not sure what I was expecting from Playa Blanca or Lanzarote in general but it was a bit too heavy on the fitba top wearing red faced UK folk for my liking

I stayed in Arrecife, pretty much like a normal Spanish town as I remember it, more touristy by the marina but mainly from the Spanish mainland.

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Embrace and enjoy it. Shout good natured abuse at someone wearing a football shirt. It's banter, they'll love it... it's why they wore it.

Plenty of lager with your full English will put you in the mood.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I stayed in Arrecife, pretty much like a normal Spanish town as I remember it, more touristy by the marina but mainly from the Spanish mainland.

Yeah it’s a working town, it’s also a shithole with no redeeming features.  A nightmare place to park too, I pity anyone who has to drive there every day for work purposes.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Yeah it’s a working town, it’s also a shithole with no redeeming features.  A nightmare place to park too, I pity anyone who has to drive there every day for work purposes.

You think? I had a cracking holiday there, great food, decent bars. And plenty buses for getting about.

Just noticed on the jet2 app that you only have to fill out the passenger locator form for the canaries if you're not fully vaccinated.
It also says "in the case of minors, an adult can fill out the form on their behalf".

Does this mean I'd still need to fill out a form for my daughter as she's under 12 but not have to fill out one for myself?