Canary Islands

welshbairn

Went last year to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and am thinking of maybe Santa Cruz in Tenerife early next year. I prefer proper towns/cities to holiday resorts but it's not a hard fast rule. I know a few posters on here go regularly, so hopefully you'll have some tips.

Los Cristianos/Las Americas are quite substantial, although they are a bit lager, bacon 'n eggs etc. Not the best ever destinations but compensated for by the weather and plenty of local football. I've got to like the familiarity of knowing where places are as well. I've found it pretty cheap, even in decent places.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Been going to Lanzarote for years, firstly to Teguise but then to Playa Blanca which is a lot better.  Great if you like walking without too much effort (you can walk from one end of the resort to the other and only cross two road) or tackle the Papagayo beaches if you want something more strenuous.

Lots of stuff by Enrico Manrique around the island (Google him) and a live volcano!

Go a couple of times a year to a house a friend of a friend rents out in Callao Salvaje. Near enough for a quick bus ride into Las Americas but far enough away for bit of piece and quiet. 

Nice wee village with loads of food and bar options and a lovely man made beach. Also , the Hard Rock hotel has just opened in the next village over. 

16 minutes ago, saint dave said:

Go a couple of times a year to a house a friend of a friend rents out in Callao Salvaje. Near enough for a quick bus ride into Las Americas but far enough away for bit of piece and quiet. 

Nice wee village with loads of food and bar options and a lovely man made beach. Also , the Hard Rock hotel has just opened in the next village over. 

The likes of us won't be in there. We can look in on the way to the pub for a roast dinner and the live game on SKY.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Went last year to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and am thinking of maybe Santa Cruz in Tenerife early next year. I prefer proper towns/cities to holiday resorts but it's not a hard fast rule. I know a few posters on here go regularly, so hopefully you'll have some tips.

Like Gran Canaria, the temperatures in the north of the island are a few degrees lower than the south early in the year. Puerto de a la Cruz is a smart resort in the north of the island but the beaches have black sand. 

My recommendation is the top end of Costa Adeje/La Caleta. There are several smart hotels, shops and restaurants near the El Duque beach with its imported golden sand. The Gran Sur shopping centre has more boutiques if your wife has a sizeable credit limit. 

A must is an evening trip up Mount Teide. It's one of best places on the planet for star gazing. La Gomera, a short boat trip from Los Cristianos, is worth a visit too.

• 1 month later...

Booked an apartment in Puerto de la Cruz for a week in January. If it's a shithole I'm going to hunt the Bishop down and kill him. I'm not bothered about the colour of the sand.

P.S. No longer available, still looking..

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Playa Blanca is meh. Use to go there when i was was younger. On a hill so good for walks, but its full of english bars and restaurants.

I use to quite like Gran Canaria but Puerto Rico is just shit. Plenty stuff to be doing on the Island but certainly no longer than a week.

Only Island i have not been to is Fuerteventura, that may be better? 

The centre is so-so, West of the centre is not great but East, towards and including the marina, is really nice.  You won't go many places in the Canaries that doesn't have its share of English type pubs.

Finally sorted an apartment in Puerto de la Cruz, £30 a night plus £60 for the flights. No bad. Got it through Airbnb which was a pain in the arse, had to upload a picture, driving license and a 30 second video of myself. Weird. Nice looking flat though, wifi and smoking allowed.

992bf422-002e-4dab-a52d-b2e75cf64ead.jpg

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Finally sorted an apartment in Puerto de la Cruz, £30 a night plus £60 for the flights. No bad. Got it through Airbnb which was a pain in the arse, had to upload a picture, driving license and a 30 second video of myself. Weird. Nice looking flat though, wifi and smoking allowed.

992bf422-002e-4dab-a52d-b2e75cf64ead.jpg

Have you seen the movie "Hostel"?

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Have you seen the movie "Hostel"?

Heart warming tale of Youth Hostelers discovering themselves with a few merry japes? 

P.S. Heard of it but just looked up the plot and it sounds hysterical. Viewing sorted for tonight.

Edited by welshbairn

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

What's people's thoughts on Fuerteventura?? The missus and I at thinking of heading there late October start of November.

Only island in the Canaries I have never been too before. Where's best to go?

I like it very much. Great golden sandy beaches and cheap bars. If you stay in Corralejo (north), the ferry to Playa Blanca on Lanzarote takes about an hour. Corralejo is famous for its sand dunes like Maspalomas on Gran Canaria. It is a large resort with a large choice of bars, restaurants and shops. The south of the island, Jandia, is often a few degrees warmer than the north. Costa Caleta, near the airport, is good for golf.

On 01/09/2017 at 14:38, wellboy1991 said:

What's people's thoughts on Fuerteventura?? The missus and I at thinking of heading there late October start of November.

Only island in the Canaries I have never been too before. Where's best to go?

Always found Fuerte to be the least developed of the main islands.

Depends on what you are after, but Corralejo is much of a muchness with all the other Brit/German overun holiday resorts. I also thought it was quite run down. The dunes are nice though.

Jandia in the South of the island is much classier. Also check out El Cotillo in the NW of the island. Nice beaches just to the North of the town.

I don't know if its now lost to the sea but the wreck of the American Star on the West Coast used to be worth seeing. Lovely beach with a bloody great cruise ship washed up....bit surreal.

41 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If you don't like the Germans, don't go to Jandia.

If you like some decent beer, sausages and watching the Bundesliga whilst having some good banter with our European brethren then Jandia is the place to go.

I've mentioned before on here that I live not far from a naturists beach on the Almeria coast - an area much frequented by nature loving Germans. They don't seem at all put out by occasional perverts (half clothed) staring at them.

I like Germans.

Fuerteventura is my favourite of all the Canaries - by a margin.

Used to go to Caleta de Fuste (lots of big chain hotels, decent safe wee beach if you've got kids) but kinda got bored of it after 3/4 years.

Corralejo now my default choice although disappointed to find the shabby wee Coronita beach bar at the bottom of the town had closed. Seems to me like they stopped food and drink on the beach and that was the end of it. Now replaced by a much shinier (i.e. more expensive) version where you have to eat inside. I suppose it's what some folk would call progress...☹️

Fuerteventura is an Island of stunning landscapes which change as the light changes through the day. I go to the El Cotillo/Lajares area in the north (near Corralejo) once a year in spring. Ideal for relaxing and destressing. Great beaches, good bars and cafes. Car hire pretty cheap through local companies and a great way to see the island.

• 4 months later...