Selkirk FC thread

afca32

It’s a shame for the Borders but as mentioned above none of the teams where senior football has been lost have set the fire heather alight in the Amateurs.  It’s worth noting Kelso did improve significantly after the folding of their Senior side but are now only a mid table side in the B division as opposed to a struggling C division side.

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/selkirk-fc-withdraw-from-lowland-league-1-4791800

Clubs said to owe £12,000 to players unpaid since December; £37,500 in bills (with electricity+gas being shut-off); and £116,000 to former committee member. As well as problem of the pavilion being mothballed, there seems to be concern over the youths and Selkirk Victoria, as they're affiliated to Selkirk FC by their constitution. Club secretary had resigned, but has been told to stay on by SFA. Other than that the details are as already known.

Edited by HibeeJibee

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/selkirk-fc-withdraw-from-lowland-league-1-4791800

Clubs said to owe £12,000 to players unpaid since December; £37,500 in bills (with electricity+gas being shut-off); and £116,000 to former committee member. As well as problem of the pavilion being mothballed, there seems to be concern over the youths and Selkirk Victoria, as they're affiliated to Selkirk FC by their constitution. Club secretary had resigned, but has been told to stay on by SFA. Other than that the details are as already known.

Interesting.  So committee member ploughs in his own cash to bring in highly paid [better standard] players, eventually gets fed up, stops paying them, wants his money back, club has to fold?

11 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Interesting.  So committee member ploughs in his own cash to bring in highly paid [better standard] players, eventually gets fed up, stops paying them, wants his money back, club has to fold?

From what I've seen the committee member behind the loans isn't pursuing the matter, but I'm guessing that's what happened.

Threw money at the beginning of last season. Then turned off the tap for whatever reason, which left the club with contracts & financial commitments they couldn't meet. 

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

From what I've seen the committee member behind the loans isn't pursuing the matter, but I'm guessing that's what happened.

Threw money at the beginning of last season. Then turned off the tap for whatever reason, which left the club with contracts & financial commitments they couldn't meet. 

Don't think it be just last season Gary O C don't think would've been cheap.

35 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

No...I don’t think that is the case. The club has had to fold to due the other outstanding debt. If you include the cost of floodlights it looks like Selkirk were in a total debt of over £200k...a huge figure for any non-league club. The committee member in question has been incredibly generous and my understanding is they were not calling in the debt. Unfortunately it looks like that person will not see any money back...and we’re not talking about a wealthy business person here who could afford to write off that kind of sum. 

It just feels so avoidable as opposed to some freak act of nature.  How were they expecting to pay for floodlights?  If the kind benefactor had used his money to cover gas and electricity instead of inflated player wages the club might still going? 

Not looking for a scapegoat but it just feels to me, as an outsider, that this is purely down to mismanagement rather than bad luck.

14 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

It just feels so avoidable as opposed to some freak act of nature.  How were they expecting to pay for floodlights?  If the kind benefactor had used his money to cover gas and electricity instead of inflated player wages the club might still going? 

Not looking for a scapegoat but it just feels to me, as an outsider, that this is purely down to mismanagement rather than bad luck.

It’s 100% mismanagement unfortunately.

I regards to the flood lights... I believe they were erected before the funding had been secured. Funders tend not to retrospectively provide money to completed projects. Ironically had they waited they probably could have secured the funding they required.  It was probably this that led to an acceleration of their demise.  

Everyone in Selkirk was aware that the sports clubs in the town had been left significant sums of money in a will. Had the floodlights been funded then I presume the committee thought they could use the money from the will to pay off the outstanding debts to players, utilities etc and maybe even begin paying back the committee member.

I think what they underestimated was that there were conditions attached to the will money...it could not be used wily nily to pay existing debt.....however, before the club had the chance to receive it the money, all £47 k was seized in relation to the floodlight debt. Even that sum was £11k short of the total bill.

So they had significant debts out with what was owed to the committee member.

It was this debt which ultimately finished Selkirk.

2 minutes ago, Soor Plooms said:

It’s 100% mismanagement unfortunately.

I regards to the flood lights... I believe they were erected before the funding had been secured. Funders tend not to retrospectively provide money to completed projects. Ironically had they waited they probably could have secured the funding they required.  It was probably this that led to an acceleration of their demise.  

Everyone in Selkirk was aware that the sports clubs in the town had been left significant sums of money in a will. Had the floodlights been funded then I presume the committee thought they could use the money from the will to pay off the outstanding debts to players, utilities etc and maybe even begin paying back the committee member.

I think what they underestimated was that there were conditions attached to the will money...it could not be used wily nily to pay existing debt.....however, before the club had the chance to receive it the money, all £47 k was seized in relation to the floodlight debt. Even that sum was £11k short of the total bill.

So they had significant debts out with what was owed to the committee member.

It was this debt which ultimately finished Selkirk.

Thanks.  As an aside the thought of someone bequeathing so much money to his local club and for it just to be swallowed up by a vanity project debt feels very sad.  No blame to the company who just want what they're due but it can't be what the donator had in mind :(

17 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Thanks.  As an aside the thought of someone bequeathing so much money to his local club and for it just to be swallowed up by a vanity project debt feels very sad.  No blame to the company who just want what they're due but it can't be what the donator had in mind :(

I know...I think it was bequeathed for the purpose of the development of youth and junior players. £47k would have secured the future of young player development for years. Tragic really. As it is the youth and junior sections along with Selkirk Vics are going to have to try and pick up the pieces and find a way to keep Yarrow Park open as a football facility.

Edited by Soor Plooms
Missed a bit!

Knowing what Garry O situation with his woman's academy team just now (a farce and a shame on the players) , he will want any bit of cash he can get. 

shame to read the situation of the club hope one day they do make a reappearance 

On 28/08/2018 at 15:04, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

In what other way could they have been dealt with? 

The authorities are consistently inconsistent. They respond on a club by club basis. If someone is willing to fight your corner or have a word in the right ear, at the right time you'll be ok. If not...

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The authorities are consistently inconsistent. They respond on a club by club basis. If someone is willing to fight your corner or have a word in the right ear, at the right time you'll be ok. If not...

I’m not sure I agree. This is a unique situation for the league, and I’m not sure what else could have been done?  

26 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Partially because it's different authorities in a lot of situations and then new rules tend to get added in reaction to whatever's gone on before. For the Lowland League this has been the first time they've had to deal with an insolvency event with one of their members.