Selkirk FC thread

afca32

2 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Bet you any money that Selkirk will be treated as 16th and 15th will only be a 'possible relegation'.

Another one wanting rules changed when a season started as I've already said Gretna t lose 8 goals and 3 points EK likewise wi 10 goals.......

They'll go wi that one 

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

All depends how the constitution is worded. If it says bottom club as people have been claiming on here and Selkirk are gone with their record completely expunged then interesting times ahead.

The only rules & Regs they have on their website are from summer 2017, but I doubt much of anything changed. In terms of withdrawing it looks like their record will be declared null and void:

image.png.bf96ff6dfd85ebddd3aa149d862f9560.png

How admissions currently appear:

image.png.a86adab3e78d4bfe24ae75e69421630e.png

But of course they can always change it up if they feel the need:

image.png.94d8dfa86fb6028ed91bd0d11c67d175.png

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Terminology may be getting lost in translation, but Border Telegraph implies they're folding - entire committee resigned (of an unincorporated association), LL and SFA membership going, etc.

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/16602379.football-bosses-in-selkirk-reach-the-end-of-the-road/

Selkirk FC have completely folded, no membership will be retained. Suspect it will be a long long time if ever again that the town has a senior side. 

With administration imminent there is definitely uncertainty over what will happen with the clubrooms and 3 pitches but the Juniors and Vics are desperate to keep the rooms and pitches functional if the opportunity presents itself.

IMO the statement from Selkirk FC doesn't do enough. You'd think the club only existed when the Lowland League started. This is a club founded in 1880! Suppose that sums up why the town and the club have been so divided for years.

Another one wanting rules changed when a season started as I've already said Gretna t lose 8 goals and 3 points EK likewise wi 10 goals.......
They'll go wi that one 
If the league rules say the "bottom" club is relegated then no rules are being changed. Probably boils down to the interpretation of who is "bottom" in these circumstances.

Re "losing" points and goals, obviously it has no effect over the course of a season.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:18, cheeky said:

You are making the assumption that the correct accounts were submitted to the licence inspector .  With the reported amounts of debt owed (published by the club) income and expenditure does not appear to add up.

FWIW their accounts for 2015-16 and 2016-17... purportedly... are in the public domain, having been submitted to the council in connection with application to Common Good for floodlights grants.

See:

p3-5 ... https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s16598/Item 8 - Application from Selkirk FC.pdf

p3-5 ... https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s20812/Item 7a - Application from Selkirk Football Club.pdf

1 minute ago, Selkirk Loyal said:

Selkirk FC have completely folded, no membership will be retained. Suspect it will be a long long time if ever again that the town has a senior side. 

With administration imminent there is definitely uncertainty over what will happen with the clubrooms and 3 pitches but the Juniors and Vics are desperate to keep the rooms and pitches functional if the opportunity presents itself.

IMO the statement from Selkirk FC doesn't do enough. You'd think the club only existed when the Lowland League started. This is a club founded in 1880! Suppose that sums up why the town and the club have been so divided for years.

Thanks, that's what I expected. It did seem a strange statement - you were almost wondering if there was going to be a follow-up saying they were going to try and fulfil the Scottish Cup tie in a few weeks, or similar.

As you say tragic that a club dating back to 1880 - claiming to be the oldest in the Borders indeed - has ended like this. Think they may be oldest SFA members in the Borders, too. Participants in the first-ever rugby 7s... winning the inaugural Border Cup... death of Bob Mercer... nursery of Bobby Johnstone... players capped for Scotland Amateurs... Stirling Albion 20-0 Selkirk...

Developed a nice little ground with the pavilion, terrace and stand - granted the floodlights weren't paid for.

That's a lot of history, a lot of passion, a lot of people long-dead - and living.

R.I.P. Selkirk FC.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:33, HibeeJibee said:

Selkirk 0-5 Civil Service Strollers

Quiet, even sombre atmosphere at the game tonight
Late-on the sun was setting and smoke from a bonfire drifted across the ground. Not omens, let's hope.

... but so it proved.

:(

2248923420_66e4559e54_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

FWIW their accounts for 2015-16 and 2016-17... purportedly... are in the public domain, having been submitted to the council in connection with application to Common Good for floodlights grants.

See:

p3-5 ... https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s16598/Item 8 - Application from Selkirk FC.pdf

p3-5 ... https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s20812/Item 7a - Application from Selkirk Football Club.pdf

It is all irrelevant now. It is a sad day for Selkirk F C and the town.  

But also the committee ( not just the present one) is also accountable for the financial mess which has caused this. 

I am left wondering if this is a hangover from the o’connor days. I aways wondered how they could afford guys like him and the boy Kenneth when they were lucky to have 50 paying fans.  Seems like the answer is they couldn’t.

Thanks, that's what I expected. It did seem a strange statement - you were almost wondering if there was going to be a follow-up saying they were going to try and fulfil the Scottish Cup tie in a few weeks, or similar.

As you say tragic that a club dating back to 1880 - claiming to be the oldest in the Borders indeed - has ended like this. Think they may be oldest SFA members in the Borders, too. Participants in the first-ever rugby 7s... winning the inaugural Border Cup... death of Bob Mercer... nursery of Bobby Johnstone... players capped for Scotland Amateurs... Stirling Albion 20-0 Selkirk...

Developed a nice little ground with the pavilion, terrace and stand - granted the floodlights weren't paid for.

That's a lot of history, a lot of passion, a lot of people long-dead - and living.

R.I.P. Selkirk FC.

Exactly this. Many fond years at Ettrick Park as well and so many people in the town affiliated with the club in some way... but somewhere along the road Selkirk FC lost its identity in the town and there should be people involved in the committee over the past few years having a long hard look at themselves.

Thinking back to 10 years ago...albeit struggling in the East of Scotland Premier and battling relegation most seasons, a team of Borderers won the Image Printers Cup. You had families down watching, Youths and Vics involved as one big committee and the bar in the club would run on a Sunday with the big screen up attracting plenty of punters.

The Lowland League has turned out to be one slow painful death for Selkirk FC. Chased a dream that was never going to happen. Still can't believe that the committee didn't see it coming and put anything in place to stop this. From what I've heard they foolishly followed a chairman who seems to have been involved with the club to try and enhance his own personal business gains. Not sure if any action will be taken legally in regards to that. 

Anyway it's done now and fingers crossed there will be an amateur side and Youth set up going strong by the end of this season. It's always been a challenge competing with rugby in the town, but they and the cricket club have offered their changing facilities to help out in the current plight. Hopefully the community pulls together and we don't lose football altogether in Selkirk. 

http://slfl.co.uk/selkirk-fc-resign-from-scottish-lowland-league/

Selkirk FC Resign from Scottish Lowland League

The board of the GeoSonic Lowland League are disappointed to announce that Selkirk Football Club have resigned their membership in the league owing to insurmountable difficulties.

It is very disappointing to lose one of our member clubs, especially so early in the league season but given the extent of Selkirk’s issues we understand their decision, and wish them well as they seek to ensure that the town has a football team in years to come.

The board will meet on Monday evening (3rd September) to discuss the implications of this announcement and a further statement will be issued following the meeting.

We are unable to make any further statement regarding this announcement until issues such as promotion/relegation and outstanding results have been discussed at Monday’s meeting.

29 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'd found the 15-16 accounts but hadn't seen the 16-17 ones - that's even more staggering as it shows them doing well that season!

So correct me if I'm wrong here - they made £4k profit in 16-17, and in June 2017 had £40k in the bank. Then in the space of almost 15 months they have racked up debts of over £100k and have now folded?  They finished 15th in 16-17 and then went on a spending spree, just so they could finish 5th and then cease to exist a few months later? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I'd found the 15-16 accounts but hadn't seen the 16-17 ones - that's even more staggering as it shows them doing well that season!

So correct me if I'm wrong here - they made £4k profit in 16-17, and in June 2017 had £40k in the bank. Then in the space of almost 15 months they have racked up debts of over £100k and have now folded?  They finished 15th in 16-17 and then went on a spending spree, just so they could finish 5th and then cease to exist a few months later? :wacko:

The way I read it they never had that amount of money in the bank at anyone time. It was mainly the value of the stadium as an asset that makes it look good.

image.png.2fef7b23a5344fb84762e82edc416804.png

18 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

they have racked up debts of over £100k and have now folded? 

Debts more like £200,000?

According to today's paper "in excess of £37,000" is currently due to various people and organisations - e.g. former players, energy companies, council, local coach, printing, accountancy and engineering firms. Then "in excess of £110,000" is currently due to a former committee member in loans . Then recently a £47,000 bequest was seized by floodlight company whose quote was £58,000. That makes £194,000+ to £205,000+.

Forgot to mention in my sentimental run-down that Selkirk once played France, in a pre-tournament friendly for WC 1966 (the French based themselves in Peebles). Souters lost 9-2.

Au revoir, les Bleus.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The way I read it they never had that amount of money in the bank at anyone time. It was mainly the value of the stadium as an asset that makes it look good.

That would make more sense - though I wonder what the grants and donations consist of? Still, they were living within their means to finish 15th that season - after that they had a choice of probably finishing 16th or going for the boom and bust 5th place. Prolonging the inevitable for one season but killing the club.

Debts more like £200,000?

According to today's paper "in excess of £37,000" is currently due to various people and organisations - e.g. former players, energy companies, council, local coach, printing, accountancy and engineering firms. Then "in excess of £110,000" is currently due to a former committee member in loans . Then recently a £47,000 bequest was seized by floodlight company whose quote was £58,000. That makes £194,000+ to £205,000+.

What you really want to see if the profit and loss account for 17/18 given those figures. Though it is something for the administrators to look into further down the line.

Today is just a truely sad day for senior football in Selkirk and the Borders.

That would make more sense - though I wonder what the grants and donations consist of? Still, they were living within their means to finish 15th that season - after that they had a choice of probably finishing 16th or going for the boom and bust 5th place. Prolonging the inevitable for one season but killing the club.

Don’t see why they thought 5th was worth it. There’s only two real targets financially. Stay in it ( so aim for 14th) or win it and get promoted ( or a profitable league cup group if you don’t).

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

An absolute shame, but even as an outsider I did wonder how long they could keep this up. Hopefully the Vics and juniors can somehow keep the use of the facilities at least 

Worrying thing heed is there could be more clubs oot there, whilst the non league set up in Scotland is in transition, that in the next few seasons could be in same boat.