Selkirk FC thread

afca32

6 minutes ago, Currahee! said:

Hearing they've folded.

I think if you could nae pay yer bills you'd tend to fold as well. As I said earlier the extra fine was like the final nail in coffin. I hope they can rebuild and start again it's a great wee set up doon there.

3 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I think if you could nae pay yer bills you'd tend to fold as well. As I said earlier the extra fine was like the final nail in coffin. I hope they can rebuild and start again it's a great wee set up doon there.

There was seemingly a meeting tonight and they can't pay their debts. 

Hope they can regroup at start again in the EOS. The Lowland was just too much. Shame for everyone involved and the town.

Midweek LL match against Spartans now cancelled.  The end.
I hope now people rally around and re-form a club for the EoS next season. THE Selkirk?
Why even bother reforming for EOS? If nobody bothers watching and they will continue to run at a loss, maybe just time to close the doors for good?
Scottish football seems to have this overriding favouring of tradition over common sense.

48 minutes ago, TheLad said:

Why even bother reforming for EOS? If nobody bothers watching and they will continue to run at a loss, maybe just time to close the doors for good?
Scottish football seems to have this overriding favouring of tradition over common sense.

Don’t think that’s particularly fair.  They can reform at a lower level get a local core of players much like Peebles have done and get more support that way.  The town can certainly sustain a lower league EoS side.  

It’s a cracking wee ground and a great place to visit.  In a way that’s been their downfall as they met the criteria for a Lowland League club without having the playing squad to back it up and suffered the consequences of paying for a better quality of player.

1 hour ago, TheLad said:

As amigan said, there's no reason why they can't reform and join the EoS at the bottom level and live within their means, the Pyramid is there for clubs of all abilities and I understand there is a good youth set-up associated with the club.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Piece in the Border Telegraph saying it was the rest of the committee that quit last night and makes it out that the Lowland League are going to have to be the ones to lay the final blow on Monday.

If that is the case then it’s a bad move by the club, it would look better for them if they resigned instead of the ignominy of expulsion.

24 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

If that is the case then it’s a bad move by the club, it would look better for them if they resigned instead of the ignominy of expulsion.

They've already gotten some sympathy for it. To some it'll all be the fault of the evil Lowland League bosses kicking them while their down.

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They've already gotten some sympathy for it. To some it'll all be the fault of the evil Lowland League bosses kicking them while their down.

Very true, conveniently forgetting the previous fiancial catastrophe, not to mention the non payment of players.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Cant really get any further doon for kicks anyway. Too much water has gone under bridge now.fingers certainly won't or should be pointed at LL  :o

Scottish football is uniquely terrible at dealing with failing clubs. (dead Rangers, "Livingston", dead Airdrie, etc etc)

This is a farce that should have been ended a couple of weeks ago.

I am sorry for Selkirk and hope the club will be able to re-group at a lower level for next season.

37 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Scottish football is uniquely terrible at dealing with failing clubs. (dead Rangers, "Livingston", dead Airdrie, etc etc)

I am sorry for Selkirk and hope the club will be able to re-group at a lower level for next season.

In what other way could they have been dealt with? The club itself could have ended the “farce” themselves when it became apparent their state of affairs were so dire.

Edited by Baxter's Nutmeg

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Interesting. I'd like to see your dataset for  such a statement. How do you feel England has handled the Middlesbrough or Leeds situations, for example? And what's your thoughts on the whole Fiorentina saga?

There's a comment from the now ex chairman on the club's facebook page. The £750 bond given by the league was due in 36 hours and that time has passed, so the suspension they had because of cancelling games is back in effect. That's why the likes of the Spartans game is postponed or however it's been phrased I haven't seen it yet.
The £116k debt to the committee members isn't thought to be pursued. In terms of trying to save Selkirk FC it's the £40k debt that's an issue. While they might be kicked out of the Lowland or withdraw from it, there's maybe a way for them to still get their Scottish Cup tie this year to continue their SFA membership and that could help knock off some of that debt.
EDIT: To add the quote
  Can I just say as the current stepped down chairman that the overall dept SFC is in is £40k, the other £116 is a personal dept that as I am aware will not be pursued for, my short time in the position seemed to open a massive hole in the mis management of all funds the club had coming in, to be honest I think all previous committee need to step down and give everything back to the locals, I also think yes try and maintain SFA membership and enter EOS or wind the club up regroup and rename to Selkirk Community FC, the club unfortunately faces getting thrown out the league as the SLFL put a further bond on the club that had only 36hrs without notice to find £750 then in 14 days to find £250 for the disaplinary, the club has no money to pay that and at 3.30pm yesterday was the deadline for the £750 now the club's sanction of not being allowed to play league games stays in place, I also think if run by the right people the club would have been a great community club for everyone, the club is in a way of no return unless someone with money can pay all dept and look at keeping the club's history going at a lower level of Football, I tried my hardest to figure out and pleaded for the help and got nothing, I wanted the bond with locals and the town to come back to the club but as previous people have said it's to far gone for that to happen, I had local boys from peebles, innerleithen, gala and Selkirk signed all on amateur contract and it still didn't make a difference with the town I would like to thank you all for your dedication to try hard for SFC on the field, I also would like to thank the lads who travelled from afar, Sandy,David, Shaun, Matty, Emmanuel, for sticking in and saying we want to help the club and stay playing for SFC, but mid week games and training was an issue in Selkirk but still made the journey for matches and getting home after midnight thanks Lads I appreciated it very much, if I've missed anyone I apologise, I hope that someone can bring the club back from the deep hole it is in, but I couldn't and that's why I decided to step down, I am gutted I had to do that but I have had dealings with 3 clubs now in the borders, 1 that would have possibly folded few years ago Selkirk Vics but now they are still going strong, the other Langlee Ams who were voted in to BAFL last year and they are still going strong and now Selkirk FC and not due to any fault of mine it does look like curtains closed and that is heart breaking to be honest, I hope everyone understands the trouble the club is in and it keeps surviving in some way or form and I hope I can be made welcome to come and watch games at Yarrow Park, Good Luck everyone and I personally would like to say Sorry I couldn't pull it out the mess it was left in. Jay Dee Sharkey

The real losers are those owed money, including players who in good faith spent time and money getting to training and matches, only to be left out of pocket. Too many creditors of Scottish football clubs have either gone unpaid or had to take a loss; they are why the football authorities have a moral obligation to prevent members from spending unsustainably. It's sad for the handful of fans but they can always start a phoenix club - those creditors are never getting paid.

19 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Interesting. I'd like to see your dataset for  such a statement. How do you feel England has handled the Middlesbrough or Leeds situations, for example? And what's your thoughts on the whole Fiorentina saga?

are you referring to Boro in 1986? the club managed (just) to scrape through that problem by playing in Hartlepool for two home games. Leeds collapsed down the divisions in the 2000s after the David O'Leary era. They seem to have weathered the Ken Bates and Italian shyster era. Fiorentina, I grant you, was a farcical case.

not sure how either case is relevant to the administration of a football club about 1/1000th of the size of these?

The SFA / SFL (historically) have been terrible in allowing basket case clubs to drag on for months after a death event, undermining the integrity of the competition they participate in, and wasting everyone's time.

No one wants to see a club go under. There should be much stricter financial checks / audits- two per season- to reduce the wriggle room for fantasist and shyster chairmen content to spend way beyond a club's means and then walk off into the sunset as what's left burns to the ground.

In that way, no club would be "too big an institution to fail" (dead Rangers), would undergo farcical seven year cycles of death and rebirth (the West Lothian Franchise should have been launched into oblivion at the end of the Massone era- initially the old SFL was actually going to let them continue in the Championship without sanction, until there was an outcry), or be left to play virtually a full season with teams of youth players and wheezing old boilers coming out of retirement to help out, in front of two dozen fans, at some else's ground (Clydebank before they were franchised).

I say again, I am very sorry for Selkirk and their fans and I hope they are able to re form and re build under decent local ownership, and play at a level they can sustain. The issue IMO is one of governance and a need for the game's administrators to be asking many more questions of struggling clubs, including asking tough questions about finances and sustainability. Shyster chairmen are able to exploit this and ex-players, creditors and fans are left to deal with the legacy.

Dataset :lol: