Selkirk FC thread

afca32

46 minutes ago, gogsy said:

If you think that's bad , should see what he thinks about folk from Newtongrange.

Aye, could imagine. He's probably got a cousin in Turin calling Ronaldo a "fucking overpaid  Portuguese twat"

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What I found when looking into Selkirk FC's history is they have had to drop out of the EoS in the 80s....

Think the local Vics amateur team wound up fulfilling a Scottish Cup fixture that season so Selkirk FC could keep their SFA membership with now infamous consequences:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30379719

32 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Midweek LL match against Spartans now cancelled.  The end.

I hope now people rally around and re-form a club for the EoS next season. THE Selkirk?

Hope the local community doesn't lose access to the ground that has been developed as dismantling that is the obvious way to clear off the debts. They'll only get so much for the floodlights that were being installed and the small seated stand, so the land might have to be flogged off as well if the club own it? If the locals are happier following a local amateur club with local amateur players then as far as I can see it's not the end of the world if that's what football in Selkirk revolves around in future.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think the local Vics amateur team wound up fulfilling a Scottish Cup fixture that season so Selkirk FC could keep their SFA membership with now infamous consequences:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30379719

To be fair to the Vics players of old, they had represented Selkirk since the beginning of the South Qualifying Cup that season, and reached the Scottish Cup under their own steam by reaching the semi-finals of that competition.

Relative of mine was unused substitute for Selkirk (actually Selkirk Vics) at Stirling Albion that famous day - or put another way the man who wasn't good enough to get in the team which lost 20-0 :lol:.

FWIW - while "nae local players" certainly is a factor in Borders football, its significance is IMO also exaggerated: many people holding the view would have no intention of attending even if it was so, and certainly not with the associated poor results, while others who do attend wouldn't so readily and happily accept their team doing poorly or skittling down the levels as implied. At the same time clearly a happy balance is achievable - and not the other extreme of no local players, no local presence outside of every other Saturday, no meaningful community interaction, etc.

6 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

THE Selkirk?

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Selco surely?

Selkirk 2019 FC?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Times up sadly for Selkirk fc :(

Either regrouping and coming in at a lower level or maybe the vics could apply.

Question is when will the SLFL make an announcement on their withdrawal from the league?

Hopefully 2 clubs get promoted now from either the 3 EoS Scotland conference winners and the South of Scotland league winners.

There's a comment from the now ex chairman on the club's facebook page. The £750 bond given by the league was due in 36 hours and that time has passed, so the suspension they had because of cancelling games is back in effect. That's why the likes of the Spartans game is postponed or however it's been phrased I haven't seen it yet.

The £116k debt to the committee members isn't thought to be pursued. In terms of trying to save Selkirk FC it's the £40k debt that's an issue. While they might be kicked out of the Lowland or withdraw from it, there's maybe a way for them to still get their Scottish Cup tie this year to continue their SFA membership and that could help knock off some of that debt.

EDIT: To add the quote

Can I just say as the current stepped down chairman that the overall dept SFC is in is £40k, the other £116 is a personal dept that as I am aware will not be pursued for, my short time in the position seemed to open a massive hole in the mis management of all funds the club had coming in, to be honest I think all previous committee need to step down and give everything back to the locals, I also think yes try and maintain SFA membership and enter EOS or wind the club up regroup and rename to Selkirk Community FC, the club unfortunately faces getting thrown out the league as the SLFL put a further bond on the club that had only 36hrs without notice to find £750 then in 14 days to find £250 for the disaplinary, the club has no money to pay that and at 3.30pm yesterday was the deadline for the £750 now the club's sanction of not being allowed to play league games stays in place, I also think if run by the right people the club would have been a great community club for everyone, the club is in a way of no return unless someone with money can pay all dept and look at keeping the club's history going at a lower level of Football, I tried my hardest to figure out and pleaded for the help and got nothing, I wanted the bond with locals and the town to come back to the club but as previous people have said it's to far gone for that to happen, I had local boys from peebles, innerleithen, gala and Selkirk signed all on amateur contract and it still didn't make a difference with the town I would like to thank you all for your dedication to try hard for SFC on the field, I also would like to thank the lads who travelled from afar, Sandy,David, Shaun, Matty, Emmanuel, for sticking in and saying we want to help the club and stay playing for SFC, but mid week games and training was an issue in Selkirk but still made the journey for matches and getting home after midnight thanks Lads I appreciated it very much, if I've missed anyone I apologise, I hope that someone can bring the club back from the deep hole it is in, but I couldn't and that's why I decided to step down, I am gutted I had to do that but I have had dealings with 3 clubs now in the borders, 1 that would have possibly folded few years ago Selkirk Vics but now they are still going strong, the other Langlee Ams who were voted in to BAFL last year and they are still going strong and now Selkirk FC and not due to any fault of mine it does look like curtains closed and that is heart breaking to be honest, I hope everyone understands the trouble the club is in and it keeps surviving in some way or form and I hope I can be made welcome to come and watch games at Yarrow Park, Good Luck everyone and I personally would like to say Sorry I couldn't pull it out the mess it was left in. Jay Dee Sharkey

Edited by FairWeatherFan

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's a comment from the now ex chairman on the club's facebook page. The £750 bond given by the league was due in 36 hours and that time has passed, so the suspension they had because of cancelling games is back in effect. That's why the likes of the Spartans game is postponed or however it's been phrased I haven't seen it yet.

"Can I just say as the current stepped down chairman that the overall dept SFC is in is £40k, the other £116 is a personal dept that as I am aware will not be pursued for, my short time in the position seemed to open a massive hole in the mis management of all funds the club had coming in, to be honest I think all previous committee need to step down and give everything back to the locals, I also think yes try and maintain SFA membership and enter EOS or wind the club up regroup and rename to Selkirk Community FC, the club unfortunately faces getting thrown out the league as the SLFL put a further bond on the club that had only 36hrs without notice to find £750 then in 14 days to find £250 for the disaplinary, the club has no money to pay that and at 3.30pm yesterday was the deadline for the £750 now the club's sanction of not being allowed to play league games stays in place, I also think if run by the right people the club would have been a great community club for everyone, the club is in a way of no return unless someone with money can pay all dept and look at keeping the club's history going at a lower level of Football, I tried my hardest to figure out and pleaded for the help and got nothing, I wanted the bond with locals and the town to come back to the club but as previous people have said it's to far gone for that to happen, I had local boys from peebles, innerleithen, gala and Selkirk signed all on amateur contract and it still didn't make a difference with the town I would like to thank you all for your dedication to try hard for SFC on the field, I also would like to thank the lads who travelled from afar, Sandy,David, Shaun, Matty, Emmanuel, for sticking in and saying we want to help the club and stay playing for SFC, but mid week games and training was an issue in Selkirk but still made the journey for matches and getting home after midnight thanks Lads I appreciated it very much, if I've missed anyone I apologise, I hope that someone can bring the club back from the deep hole it is in, but I couldn't and that's why I decided to step down, I am gutted I had to do that but I have had dealings with 3 clubs now in the borders, 1 that would have possibly folded few years ago Selkirk Vics but now they are still going strong, the other Langlee Ams who were voted in to BAFL last year and they are still going strong and now Selkirk FC and not due to any fault of mine it does look like curtains closed and that is heart breaking to be honest, I hope everyone understands the trouble the club is in and it keeps surviving in some way or form and I hope I can be made welcome to come and watch games at Yarrow Park, Good Luck everyone and I personally would like to say Sorry I couldn't pull it out the mess it was left in. Jay Dee Sharkey"

2 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

so when will the league confirm they’ve resigned? leaves us bottom :(

Even if you're bottom, and that's treated as relegation, you'd have the opportunity to apply as there'd be a vacancy.

It can't go past Friday as far as i'm concerned. No chairman again, no team, just debt and well wishes. Selkirk need to withdraw or get kicked out, no more suspensions. Then the Lowland League clubs can decide how they're going to treat relegation this year to give everyone some clarity.

Although the comments under unfortunately descended into something of a bunfight over the point: it's good to note what the outgoing chairman says about those players from outwith Selkirk who have stood by the club. Those from the central belt who've kept coming, including for midweek games and training relocated locally, despite not being paid... and also those from other Border towns who have been prepared to join. Not all "outsiders" are baddies.

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

only get so much for the floodlights that were being installed

It seems they may not still be a notable part of the debt. Selkirk applied in April 2017 to Selkirk Common Good Fund for £5,000 towards the total cost of £58,000 saying the rest was coming from Scottish Football Partnership (£20,000)... Weir Trust for Sport, Health & Culture (£25,000)... Scottish Borders Council Community Grant Scheme (£5,000)... and the club itself (£3,000). Installation was scheduled for June/July 2017.

Decision was deferred in June 2017. After clarification of facilities for Selkirk JFC and their rent to Selkirk FC the full £5,000 was approved in August 2017, subject to the other funding and clarification of expenditure items in Selkirk FC's accounts.

Lights had gone up by around this time as a home game v Dalbeattie was postponed in August 2017 due to them not being connected.

Selkirk reported in September 2017 they'd been unable to secure the other funding.

However in November 2017 they reapplied for £5,000 to connect the floodlights saying they had paid for the £58,000 installation with existing club funds. Connection was scheduled for December 2017. They were awarded £4,819 in February of this year.

(All above from SBC website).

Lights have never been used. According to local papers a bequest of £47,000 left to the club was arrested a couple of months ago by sheriffs officers acting for the floodlight firm.

Edited by HibeeJibee

53 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Although the comments under unfortunately descended into something of a bunfight over the point: it's good to note what the outgoing chairman says about those players from outwith Selkirk who have stood by the club. Those from the central belt who've kept coming, including for midweek games and training relocated locally, despite not being paid... and also those from other Border towns who have been prepared to join. Not all "outsiders" are baddies.

It seems they may not still be a notable part of the debt. Selkirk applied in April 2017 to Selkirk Common Good Fund for £5,000 towards the total cost of £58,000 saying the rest was coming from Scottish Football Partnership (£20,000)... Weir Trust for Sport, Health & Culture (£25,000)... Scottish Borders Council Community Grant Scheme (£5,000)... and the club itself (£3,000). Installation was scheduled for June/July 2017.

Decision was deferred in June 2017. After clarification of facilities for Selkirk JFC and their rent to Selkirk FC the full £5,000 was approved in August 2017, subject to the other funding and clarification of expenditure items in Selkirk FC's accounts.

Lights had gone up by around this time as a home game v Dalbeattie was postponed in August 2017 due to them not being connected.

Selkirk reported in September 2017 they'd been unable to secure the other funding.

However in February 2018 they reapplied for £5,000 to connect the floodlights saying they had paid for their installation with existing club funds. Connection was scheduled for December 2017. They were awarded £4,819.

(All above from SBC website).

Lights have never been used. According to local papers a bequest of £47,000 left to the club was arrested a couple of months ago by sheriffs officers acting for the floodlight firm.

Have to ask the question again. What were the SFA licencing Inspectors doing passing their application? Club financial records were a part of the procedure.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Can I just say as the current stepped down chairman that the overall dept SFC is in is £40k, the other £116 is a personal dept that as I am aware will not be pursued for, my short time in the position seemed to open a massive hole in the mis management of all funds the club had coming in, to be honest I think all previous committee need to step down and give everything back to the locals, I also think yes try and maintain SFA membership and enter EOS or wind the club up regroup and rename to Selkirk Community FC, the club unfortunately faces getting thrown out the league as the SLFL put a further bond on the club that had only 36hrs without notice to find £750 then in 14 days to find £250 for the disaplinary, the club has no money to pay that and at 3.30pm yesterday was the deadline for the £750 now the club's sanction of not being allowed to play league games stays in place, I also think if run by the right people the club would have been a great community club for everyone, the club is in a way of no return unless someone with money can pay all dept and look at keeping the club's history going at a lower level of Football, I tried my hardest to figure out and pleaded for the help and got nothing, I wanted the bond with locals and the town to come back to the club but as previous people have said it's to far gone for that to happen, I had local boys from peebles, innerleithen, gala and Selkirk signed all on amateur contract and it still didn't make a difference with the town I would like to thank you all for your dedication to try hard for SFC on the field, I also would like to thank the lads who travelled from afar, Sandy,David, Shaun, Matty, Emmanuel, for sticking in and saying we want to help the club and stay playing for SFC, but mid week games and training was an issue in Selkirk but still made the journey for matches and getting home after midnight thanks Lads I appreciated it very much, if I've missed anyone I apologise, I hope that someone can bring the club back from the deep hole it is in, but I couldn't and that's why I decided to step down, I am gutted I had to do that but I have had dealings with 3 clubs now in the borders, 1 that would have possibly folded few years ago Selkirk Vics but now they are still going strong, the other Langlee Ams who were voted in to BAFL last year and they are still going strong and now Selkirk FC and not due to any fault of mine it does look like curtains closed and that is heart breaking to be honest, I hope everyone understands the trouble the club is in and it keeps surviving in some way or form and I hope I can be made welcome to come and watch games at Yarrow Park, Good Luck everyone and I personally would like to say Sorry I couldn't pull it out the mess it was left in. Jay Dee Sharkey

Where can we donate to buy them a return key?

Edited by AlansHotBath

LL statement:

Following a disciplinary hearing held on Tuesday 21st August, an independent panel found Selkirk FC guilty of breaching rules B14 and B15 of the SLFL rules and regulations by failing to fulfil their match with Kelty Hearts, and were subsequently fined the sum of £500, with £250 suspended on condition no further breaches occurred.

The board of the SLFL received a copy of the minutes of the hearing on Wednesday 22nd August, and after careful consideration  took the view that it could not be fully confident of Selkirk FC’s ability to fulfil fixtures going forward. Considering this, the board instructed the club to pay a bond of £750 by way of guarantee that they will fulfil future SLFL fixtures, payable by 3.30pm on Friday 24th August. The bond would be returnable at the end of the season if the club completed their scheduled fixtures.

Unfortunately, this deadline was not met by the club, and as a result the SLFL board took the decision to continue Selkirk FC’s suspension, resulting in the postponement of their next 2 fixtures against Spartans and Cumbernauld Colts respectively.

The board will now meet on Monday 3rd September to decide on what course of action should be taken against Selkirk FC.

A further statement will be released when appropriate.

On 25/08/2018 at 10:08, bendan said:

Is it actually a thing in the Borders? I don't really know about the present squads, but Vale, Gala and Selkirk were hardly known for fielding locals, were they?

One of the highlights of supporting the Welfare was to go to the Vale back in the Curries time and get called toonie b*****ds  :lol:

19 hours ago, info said:

Have to ask the question again. What were the SFA licencing Inspectors doing passing their application? Club financial records were a part of the procedure.

You are making the assumption that the correct accounts were submitted to the licence inspector .  With the reported amounts of debt owed (published by the club) income and expenditure does not appear to add up.