Selkirk FC thread

afca32

I really dont think Selkirk will field a team. It's a shame for everyone involved but it's best to take a step back and regroup in tier 8 next season.

It's a farce that they're like maybe we will, maybe we wont get a team and with Jaydee resigning that probably confirms everything we're reading. It's.a shame for any club but losing 5+-0 every week is no way to appeal to the locals

All the lies and deceit have ended any realistic chance of Selkirk FC going forward. Nobody in the town wants to back them, no player wants to sign for them. 

With no money (and ridiculous debt) it's impossible to compete in the EoS league never mind the Lowland League. The open trials have been a disaster and the desire to link up with Edusport (and laterally another side who had explored the option of buying the club over to take Selkirk's place in the LL) was hardly going to appeal to the "locals".

IMO the only reason they haven't folded yet is due to the huge sum of money due to one of the committee members as eluded to in an earlier post. The amount of debt racked up is crazy and what makes it's even more crazy is the fact this was allowed to go on for the past few years under the noses of the committee members, even though it was glaringly obvious to those on the outside that there had to be some dodgy dealings going on financially.

Going forward, it's essential that the Youths don't end up folding. They have a great hardworking committee who manage their own finances and have the backing of local sponsors etc. The same goes for Selkirk Vics. What happens with the clubrooms and pitches is anyone's guess really but there's certainly the desire to ensure the Youths and Vics carry on.

Should add that it appears Jaydee Sharkey done everything he could to fix the mess and should be commended for his efforts. Perhaps if he'd been chairman 6 or 7 years ago things might be different.

Edited by Selkirk Loyal

8 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

True, but I’d rather watch a local Eyemouth team (getting hee haw and having to pay a £10er every week for the privilege to play) knocking their pan in, but getting pumped, than watch a bunch of fucking overpaid  arrogant toonies who are only there to coin it in and don’t really give a f**k for the town. As I’ve said, we’re a strange bunch imo doon here  :P

ps....... it’s your year  ;)

Definitely Heed and that’s what will get local folk out watching. It’s interesting that Selkirk Vics who are one of the worst teams in the Border Amateurs get way more than the LL team. Then again I guess it is free to watch. 

PS ... Win draw or lose ... it’s always our year :P 

1 hour ago, Selkirk Loyal said:

All the lies and deceit have ended any realistic chance of Selkirk FC going forward. Nobody in the town wants to back them, no player wants to sign for them. 

With no money (and ridiculous debt) it's impossible to compete in the EoS league never mind the Lowland League. The open trials have been a disaster and the desire to link up with Edusport (and laterally another side who had explored the option of buying the club over to take Selkirk's place in the LL) was hardly going to appeal to the "locals".

IMO the only reason they haven't folded yet is due to the huge sum of money due to one of the committee members as eluded to in an earlier post. The amount of debt racked up is crazy and what makes it's even more crazy is the fact this was allowed to go on for the past few years under the noses of the committee members, even though it was glaringly obvious to those on the outside that there had to be some dodgy dealings going on financially.

Going forward, it's essential that the Youths don't end up folding. They have a great hardworking committee who manage their own finances and have the backing of local sponsors etc. The same goes for Selkirk Vics. What happens with the clubrooms and pitches is anyone's guess really but there's certainly the desire to ensure the Youths and Vics carry on.

Should add that it appears Jaydee Sharkey done everything he could to fix the mess and should be commended for his efforts. Perhaps if he'd been chairman 6 or 7 years ago things might be different.

As an outsider, I certainly wondered where the money was coming from and how long it would last. Hopefully the Vics and kids can at the least come out unscathed in all this. As much as I understand the level of footballer from outwith the borders can be appealing, it can also backfire using them through time though 

It's sad to see a club struggle, but there never seemed to be any foundation behind what Selkirk were doing. 

I'm curious about what the Lowland League have in place to monitor football debts. I'd have thought not paying players ought to prevent a club starting the next season.

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's sad to see a club struggle, but there never seemed to be any foundation behind what Selkirk were doing. 

I'm curious about what the Lowland League have in place to monitor football debts. I'd have thought not paying players ought to prevent a club starting the next season.

I heard that it costs between 30-50k a season to run a team in the LL. Not sure how accurate that figure is. When Selkirk have one man and their dug down watching and the referee costs are around £200 they are automatically at a loss. 

Can't help but think that down the line all Borders side will be down the bottom end of the EoS once the ex Juniors make their way through. Don't get me wrong the LL is a great league but you need to have money to compete. Otherwise you'd be as well dropping out and surviving elsewhere. I'm sure Gala and the Vale will be on top of their finances though! 

Selkirk ultimately is a rugby town and if you want to see how a club should be run you just need to hop over the fence to Selkirk RFC.

26 minutes ago, Selkirk Loyal said:

Selkirk ultimately is a rugby town and if you want to see how a club should be run you just need to hop over the fence to Selkirk RFC.

Absolutely. And given the small population and strength of the rugby club, there never seemed room for a football club playing at LL level.

44 minutes ago, Nittenrab said:

" we don’t like toonies "

"bunch of fucking overpaid  arrogant toonies"

Fucking grow up, inbreed comments.

While the obsession with fielding local players rather than the best ones they can attract isn't a peculiarly Borders thing, it does seem to be particularly strong in that area - maybe it stems from club rugby having that mindset.

Unfortunately, it's also something that'll doom most of the clubs there to ultimately play at a fairly low level once things level out, as in a place with a population of 6000-odd  it would be virtually impossible to find a squad capable of playing at Tier 5/6 level who all live in the environs of the town.  

There are parallels elsewhere lest I be accused of Borders-bashing; the Junior side Stonehouse Violet initially folded because they didn't have enough locals wanting to join their committee. Outsiders came in to resurrect the club and brought in players from surrounding areas, only for no bugger to go and watch them because they weren't playing enough local lads for their taste.

Result? No more Stonehouse Violet. Small town Scotland can be deeply strange.

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

While the obsession with fielding local players rather than the best ones they can attract isn't a peculiarly Borders thing, it does seem to be particularly strong in that area - maybe it stems from club rugby having that mindset.

Is it actually a thing in the Borders? I don't really know about the present squads, but Vale, Gala and Selkirk were hardly known for fielding locals, were they?

What I found when looking into Selkirk FC's history is they have had to drop out of the EoS in the 80s. With the way the EoS is likely to evolve, and the support the town of Selkirk have shown for football in the past, i'm sure they'll end up with a team at some level of the pyramid eventually.

I was secretly hoping for a Selkirk v Fort William Scottish Cup tie, but that doesn't look like that'll happen now.

Just now, bendan said:

Is it actually a thing in the Borders? I don't really know about the present squads, but Vale, Gala and Selkirk were hardly known for fielding locals, were they?

Like I said, it's hardly unique to the area, but I get the feeling from conversations with locals whenever I'm down that way that where the players are sourced from seems to be more of a consideration there than it would be in some places.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

It’s up to the SFA to monitor finances, that’s what the license system is for.

22 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Like I said, it's hardly unique to the area, but I get the feeling from conversations with locals whenever I'm down that way that where the players are sourced from seems to be more of a consideration there than it would be in some places.

Its a more localized version than what you see at the top of the game I suppose.

If you're going to be struggling with non-Scottish players, why not go with young Scots because it can't be any worse and they aren't seen as crap mercenaries.

Clubs have to show their accounts for each year as part of the licensing. I’m hazarding a guess here, but I’m assuming that Selkirk were ‘creative’ in how they reported these various debts so as not to raise any alarms.

15 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

In terms of licensing, yes, but there could be a big time lag between a problem arising and any reporting to the SFA. Don't the SPFL have standards regarding the payment of debts to players and other clubs?

For SPFL clubs, the rules state:

'E19 - Any Club which commits a Remuneration Default shall not, except with the consent of the Board, to be given in the Board’s absolute discretion, apply to have Scottish FA Registered with it or Play any Professional Player who is not an Under 20 Player and/or who was not Scottish FA Registered with that Club at the date of the relevant Remuneration Default until the Board notifies the Club in writing that it is satisfied that such Remuneration Default shall no longer continue or subsist.'

Which seems to say you can't sign new players until you have cleared existing debts to players/coaches. Don't the LL have anything similar?