Selkirk FC thread

afca32

14 minutes ago, Golum said:

Is the Selkirk plan to pull out the cup games and then fill their squad with the EDU sport players ?

Don't know if they'll withdraw from the South Challenge Cup. By the time the game against Upper Annandale on the 25th they should have a squad together if they're continuing. Gives them a chance to gel a little ahead of the LL fixtures beginning again. Of course it'll all largely depend on the results on the LL disciplinary meeting i'm sure. As for the EDU rumours it's been out there for a while now and hasn't been shot down as against the rules or anything like that. Continuing the open training sessions suggests they're still looking to have as many locals as possible.

Just now, newcastle broon said:

If they have trained out with Selkirk for years maybes have the open sessions elsewhere ? Maybes that's why only 2 turned up in the 1st place. Sadly they ve only had very limited local players and haven't been a borders team for years ?

That's obviously part of the problem. Not paying wages probably pissed off a large portion of players they already had, the town already has a Border Amateurs team that'll take a glut of the locals interested. Then some of the better local players that could play at this level that they haven't pissed off are probably signed up with the other nearby LL, EoS, top Border Amateur clubs.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

If they have trained out with Selkirk for years maybes have the open sessions elsewhere ? Maybes that's why only 2 turned up in the 1st place. Sadly they ve only had very limited local players and haven't been a borders team for years ?

Sometimes when a borders club have an amateur and an Eos side there’s friction between the two. 

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/stricken-selkirk-forced-to-scrap-sauchie-trip-1-4785842

Stricken Selkirk forced to scrap Sauchie trip

Selkirk FC’s game tomorrow (Saturday) at Sauchie has been called off, as the ailing side continues a near-impossible battle to recruit players.

Last night’s open training session at Yarrow Park attracted a very low response, with interim team manager Gordon Rae describing matters now as “day to day”. It’s understood the club is also facing a disciplinary meeting this coming Tuesday with the Lowland League, over its failure to fulfil recent fixtures – although more training get-togethers are due to take place the same day, and on Thursday. The club is facing possible sanctions from the Lowland League over the call-offs, which hit earlier league games with Edusport and Kelty Hearts and have now claimed tomorrow’s Football Nation Qualifying Cup fixture.

One piece of good news came earlier this week as local motoring firm Leven Car Company agreed to stay on as principal sponsor, despite the club’s financial and personnel crises. A statement on Selkirk’s Twitter and Facebook pages said Leven Car Company had confirmed it would remain as the club’s official main sponsor, “helping us through our current difficult circumstances”. The statement added: “We would like to place on record our heartfelt gratitude to Leven Car Company for this fantastic news and we look forward to working alongside them to stabilise the club and take steps forward to ensure our future.”

Earlier this week, chairman Jay-Dee Sharkey told an open meeting, attended by around 30 people at Yarrow, he believed the club could go no further in the Lowland League because of the shortage of players.

As has been well publicised, Selkirk FC has been struggling since the start of the new season with very low numbers of registered players, making it virtually impossible for them to field a team. Players left the Souters en masse over the summer because they had not been paid since December, and the club has struggled, unsurprisingly, to attract more.

Monday’s public meeting also heard the club had cumulative debts running into six figures. As well as owing around £37,500 to various concerns, it was also due a committtee member just over £116,000 in personal loans. It was agreed at the meeting to pursue legal action over some of the financial matters relating to the club’s plight.

However, no other firm decisions were made on Monday about how to proceed on other matters, with the club awaiting the outcome of talks with the Lowland League. Some short-term solutions were suggested but chairman Sharkey, who was elected at the club’s July AGM, felt the financial position could be too much of a hindrance to the way forward.

Among the options looked at was withdrawal from the Lowland League and an application to join the East of Scotland League, although the implications for Selkirk’s junior squad and its amateur team, Selkirk Victoria, were unclear.

Another Lowland League team had offered Selkirk 20 players to enable it to field a team for this season, which was being considered.

There was a fresh appeal too to the townspeople of Selkirk, for any assistance they could give to save their local football team.

On 17/08/2018 at 11:59, heedthebaa said:

Sometimes when a borders club have an amateur and an Eos side there’s friction between the two. 

There is friction between Selkirk and Selkirk Victoria.  Don't know if that was down to the previous chairman or not.

6 minutes ago, Currahee! said:

There is friction between Selkirk and Selkirk Victoria.  Don't know if that was down to the previous chairman or not.

I’d expect there is, I wrote sometimes, probably should have wrote always :lol:

30 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I’d expect there is, I wrote sometimes, probably should have wrote always :lol:

I do know Selkirk wouldn't allow the Vics to use the pitch. They also wanted to take players whenever they wanted to sit on the bench. Quite a lot of nonsense happened and the Vics totally separated themselves from Selkirk.

I think its quite telling when more people watch the Vics than Selkirk.

No getting away from the fact that this situation does not reflect well on Scotland's 5th tier.

Exactly the kind of thing which has happened to numerous clubs in leagues at all levels, e.g. Rangers, Hearts, Livingston, Airdrie et al. My own club has also had financial problems. They don’t reflect well on the people in charge of the finances at the club would be my first observation.

19 hours ago, Currahee! said:

I do know Selkirk wouldn't allow the Vics to use the pitch. They also wanted to take players whenever they wanted to sit on the bench. Quite a lot of nonsense happened and the Vics totally separated themselves from Selkirk.

I think its quite telling when more people watch the Vics than Selkirk.

16 hours ago, Currahee! said:

Just to add to the Selkirk and Vics fall out, Selkirk kept the door locked where the defibrillator is kept today.

Well all this you state was from the previous chairman?

It's time to get the heeds together and get the bond back.

Nae disrespect to the vics but if you don't follow borders fitba you wouldn't know who the vics are. 

4 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Well all this you state was from the previous chairman?

It's time to get the heeds together and get the bond back.

Nae disrespect to the vics but if you don't follow borders fitba you wouldn't know who the vics are. 

Keeping the door locked was nothing to do with the previous chairman. 

I hope it was an honest mistake.

If the committee member with the loans is feeling generous and has no realistic thoughts of getting his money back then I feel alot more positive about the debt than before when the debt levels were initially quoted. £37k whilst very high could just about be scrabbled together over the next few years, though I'd doubt any will be recovered from the former chairman.

Getting a team on the pitch seems more difficult.

Couple of thoughts.

1. If 30 people can turn up for a meeting can not a few of them play for the club. Surely the club has no expectations that whoever plays is of any quality at all. If you need to play people in their 40s who struggle through their weekly 5 a side to keep the club going is that not ok?

2. Away games seem more difficult, would the club consider 2 squads? One for borders and another for the further away games?

On another thought there was talk in one article of 'some form of administration'. Can anyone shed any light on Selkirk ' s structure here? Are they just a simple members club? What about assets?

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

If the committee member with the loans is feeling generous and has no realistic thoughts of getting his money back then I feel alot more positive about the debt than before when the debt levels were initially quoted. £37k whilst very high could just about be scrabbled together over the next few years, though I'd doubt any will be recovered from the former chairman.

Couple of thoughts.

1. If 30 people can turn up for a meeting can not a few of them play for the club. Surely the club has no expectations that whoever plays is of any quality at all. If you need to play people in their 40s who struggle through their weekly 5 a side to keep the club going is that not ok?

2. Away games seem more difficult, would the club consider 2 squads? One for borders and another for the further away games?

On another thought there was talk in one article of 'some form of administration'. Can anyone shed any light on Selkirk ' s structure here? Are they just a simple members club? What about assets?

Point 1 is more disrespectful than not turning up.

Point 2, they can't get one team together, never mind 2.

Exactly the kind of thing which has happened to numerous clubs in leagues at all levels, e.g. Rangers, Hearts, Livingston, Airdrie et al. My own club has also had financial problems. They don’t reflect well on the people in charge of the finances at the club would be my first observation.
It's the inability of a club to attract new players through open training sessions that is most embarrassing for the LL. Even with Hawick relegated, there are still at least two too many Borders clubs involved for what that region of the country can sensibly sustain at a tier 5 level.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Couple of thoughts.

It's the loans I wonder about as well. The fact the person is still on the committee suggests they're in on good terms and trying to keep the club alive. So has it been dribs and drabs over a number of years? or have they had to put more money than they would of liked in order to cover the costs of the financial mismanagement by the former chairman?

It's the loans I wonder about as well. The fact the person is still on the committee suggests they're in on good terms and trying to keep the club alive. So has it been dribs and drabs over a number of years? or have they had to put more money than they would of liked in order to cover the costs of the financial mismanagement by the former chairman?
The position of this committee person is huge.

They have obviously said they will not put more in. But quite where they stand on the historic debt is pretty much unknown. It's possible they desperately want the cash and are only on the committee and trying to improve things to get it back but they could also have limited interest in their own position and want to benefit the club

None of the clubs above had to repeatedly cancel games.

On 19/08/2018 at 11:26, parsforlife said:

The position of this committee person is huge.

They have obviously said they will not put more in. But quite where they stand on the historic debt is pretty much unknown. It's possible they desperately want the cash and are only on the committee and trying to improve things to get it back but they could also have limited interest in their own position and want to benefit the club

There's only one certainty in the whole thing. That money is lost.