Selkirk FC thread

afca32

35 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

No getting away from the fact that this situation does not reflect well on Scotland's 5th tier.

Not really. Having spent the bulk of their time pre-Lowland League in the EoS First or finishing 10th or lower in the EoS Premier. Selkirk are one of the clubs that would seen as candidates for back to back relegations now that the EoS has been beefed up.

So on the field struggles isn't surprising. Then look at Wigtown & Bladnoch 2014-15 SoS Champions, SoS runners up in 2016-17 and then they withdraw from the SoS just before the 2017-18 season starts. At a certain level with limited resources and size of town getting teams together can be difficult.

As for the admin issues there's been far worse affairs.

• Top Tier Rangers and Gretna going into administration then liquidation.
  • Airdrieonians getting liquidated (with a homeless Clydebank being taken over and rebranded Airdrie United in the process).
  • The repeat administrations of Dundee and Livingston.
  • Admin stricken Motherwell avoiding relegation because Falkirk didn't have a 10,000 all seater stadium.
  • All the other administrations.
Edited by FairWeatherFan

As a follower of East Kilbride FC I'm a big fan of the Lowland League and also of the pyramid so my comment wasn't borne of some petty attempt at point scoring.  I just thought that a team potentially folding after 2 league games didn't reflect well on the league as a whole.

I've discussed the LL with friends and family many times and tried to make them realise that there's little between the teams at the bottom of league 2 and the top of the LL and that it would be great if we eventually had an automatic promotion rather than a play off against team 10.

Did any of the admins listed above happen this early in a season and lead to talk of games being declared null and void and points being stricken?

24 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Did any of the admins listed above happen this early in a season and lead to talk of games being declared null and void and points being stricken?

Gretna's administrators resigned them from the SFL after they failed to find a buyer, in time for Annan to get their place in August 2008.

Livi were bumped down two divisions on 5 August 2009, with the first matches that season being on 8 August and Airdrie getting a reprieve from relegation. They had already been papped out of two cup competitions.

All the others were either able to play through administration, or went tits up in the summer. I'm not sure if some of them didn't get a bit of help from the authorities to be sure of fulfilling their fixtures though, I recall early payments of TV or other money being made.

7 hours ago, The_Judge said:

As a follower of East Kilbride FC I'm a big fan of the Lowland League and also of the pyramid so my comment wasn't borne of some petty attempt at point scoring.  I just thought that a team potentially folding after 2 league games didn't reflect well on the league as a whole.

I've discussed the LL with friends and family many times and tried to make them realise that there's little between the teams at the bottom of league 2 and the top of the LL and that it would be great if we eventually had an automatic promotion rather than a play off against team 10.

It's too easy a process though to suggest something doesn't reflect well on the league that is outwith the leagues control... I agree there isn't a great deal of difference between the bottom of spfl2 and the top 2 or 3 teams in the LL and that negotiation for automatic promotion is vital for a free flowing pyramid. 

In short I prefer the more pragmatic approach, the LL has no control over the Selkirk situation, the situation is a one off and completely out of sync with the way each of the other clubs are run and a situation like this may never happen again in the LL...... But the league is still a good league, with good clubs and new clubs in the eosfl trying their best to get there as soon as they can..... It will only get stronger in the future. 

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Gretna's administrators resigned them from the SFL after they failed to find a buyer, in time for Annan to get their place in August 2008.

Livi were bumped down two divisions on 5 August 2009, with the first matches that season being on 8 August and Airdrie getting a reprieve from relegation. They had already been papped out of two cup competitions.

All the others were either able to play through administration, or went tits up in the summer. I'm not sure if some of them didn't get a bit of help from the authorities to be sure of fulfilling their fixtures though, I recall early payments of TV or other money being made.

Yes Gretna got prize/TV/sponsorship money paid early in order that they could complete the season.

Soon before RFC went into admin and subsequently got erased from history, the rules were changed so the mythical club/company separation could take place.

1 hour ago, Jamesw said:

Eosfl website has a W/O for sauchie so no game this wk.

I thought it was leaving things a bit late considering they still have one of these open training sessions tonight to help find players. Gives them till the 25th until another game has to be played and by then they'll likely have a better sense of where they are players wise, financially and LL disciplinary wise.

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I thought it was leaving things a bit late considering they still have one of these open training sessions tonight to help find players. Gives them till the 25th until another game has to be played and by then they'll likely have a better sense of where they are players wise, financially and LL disciplinary wise.

5 minutes ago, Golum said:

next league match is as next week another cup ,

28/08/2018    The Spartans vs Selkirk    19:45    Lowland League    Ainslie Park

Hopefully they are sorted by then  

You are both right. Having scratched from travelling to Sauchie this Sat, their next game is South Challenge Cup tie home to Upper Annandale a week on Sat, then at Spartans on the Tuesday, then at Cumbernauld.

Edusport was at home.

Their season to date has been:

Sat 28 Jul        East Kilbride 10-0 Selkirk
Wed 1 Aug     Selkirk 0-8 Gretna
Sat 4 Aug         Selkirk v Edusport
Wed 8 Aug     Selkirk 0-5 Civil Service
Sat 11 Aug      Kelty v Selkirk
Sat 18 Aug      Sauchie v Selkirk (EQC R1)
Sat 25 Aug      Selkirk v Upper Annandale (SCC R1)
Tue 28 Aug     Spartans v Selkirk
Sat 1 Sep          Cumbernauld v Selkirk
Sat 8 Sep          Selkirk v Gala

Edited by HibeeJibee

16 minutes ago, Soor Plooms said:

Thanks for that.

Only two players turned up to last night's open training session. Looking to do more sessions next Tuesday and Thursday.

28 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thanks for that.

Only two players turned up to last night's open training session. Looking to do more sessions next Tuesday and Thursday.

Is the Selkirk plan to pull out the cup games and then fill their squad with the EDU sport players ?