Selkirk FC thread

afca32

I assume Selkirk let the league know they couldn’t play and I’m also sure the club have a lot going on at the moment, so not sure Kelty should feel so slighted.  Games are called off all the time for weather and rearranged.  

The club is on its arse no need to kick them when they are down.

Its not great from Selkirk but surely it’s understandable in the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, amigan said:

I assume Selkirk let the league know they couldn’t play and I’m also sure the club have a lot going on at the moment, so not sure Kelty should feel so slighted.  Games are called off all the time for weather and rearranged.  

Surely a quick email or call to explain wouldn't have taken than long to send its a courtesy and good manners if nothing else. 

It’s not understandable at all. It’s common courtesy. A five minute phone call or five minutes to compose an email would have sufficed.

Much as I’m aware that the new folk have inherited this situation with Selkirk, it’s like saying that Ann budge should have been allowed to keep Hearts in the top league because she took over someone else’s issues- the game doesn’t work like that.

As for the games called off chat, games aren’t called off for bad weather on excellent 4G surfaces in August, which is why kelty can offer packages well in advance and fill up hospitality at that time of year. Selkirks mis management is now costing other teams money as well.

The teams they’ve played in midweek will have come to some considerable cost to get their players to the game in time- travel expenses, players leaving shifts early etc. And that’s through no fault of the other clubs involved- it’s time to come to a definitive decision that means no other clubs or players are left out of pocket.

1 hour ago, surely not! said:

It’s not understandable at all. It’s common courtesy. A five minute phone call or five minutes to compose an email would have sufficed.

Much as I’m aware that the new folk have inherited this situation with Selkirk, it’s like saying that Ann budge should have been allowed to keep Hearts in the top league because she took over someone else’s issues- the game doesn’t work like that.

As for the games called off chat, games aren’t called off for bad weather on excellent 4G surfaces in August, which is why kelty can offer packages well in advance and fill up hospitality at that time of year. Selkirks mis management is now costing other teams money as well.

The teams they’ve played in midweek will have come to some considerable cost to get their players to the game in time- travel expenses, players leaving shifts early etc. And that’s through no fault of the other clubs involved- it’s time to come to a definitive decision that means no other clubs or players are left out of pocket.

How do you know there could be a freak flood 4g isn’t infallible and the Scottish Weather is unpredictable.   My point was more related to the season as a whole rather than August but that maybe went over your head.

Its the 5th tier of Scottish Football so to equate the situation here to a professional club is ridiculous. The lowland league should definitely all they can to support Selkirk.  In all likelihood they will be relegated and find their level which is probably around that of Peebles Rovers and other teams with towns from a similar population like Kelty.

1 hour ago, amigan said:

No one is kicking them when they’re down and it would have been common courtesy to send some type of correspondence to kelty 

That's a bit shitty from Kelty to release that. 100% contradiction and playing the victim here.

Is it hell, its directly hurting kelty to a sum of several thousand pounds, they are well within their rights to assure their support and sponsors that they did everything they could to fulfil the fixture as it might be the difference between these sponsors bothering to rebook. I trust the entire content of the statement is accurate? If so then whats the issue?

7 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
22 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:
6D30F344-54E3-4F98-BABD-88A73A67D608.thumb.jpeg.e2d37fd8dde8acdd38b1dffc0eee6aea.jpeg

That's a bit shitty from Kelty to release that. 100% contradiction and playing the victim here.

Nonsense! They offered to pay for transport - hardly playing victim. Selkirk had a team midweek then suddenly not for an away game at the weekend. That's not sustainable for the league and Kelty have every right to have expected some communication directly from Selkirk.

It would be the same if a game was rescheduled. Fair play you offerred them a bus but the club are in absolute crisis. They had 4 trialists on Wednesday and a bunch of teenagers. Nobody wants to play and get pumped every week.

There's barely any members of staff running the club and to be honest they're having a really tough time as it is, so holding a grudge over them not phoning is pathetic as I assume you and your club would be okay to lose money because they phoned to say sorry? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just now, selfassemblyshire said:

It would be the same if a game was rescheduled. Fair play you offerred them a bus but the club are in absolute crisis. They had 4 trialists on Wednesday and a bunch of teenagers. Nobody wants to play and get pumped every week.

There's barely any members of staff running the club and to be honest they're having a really tough time as it is, so holding a grudge over them not phoning is pathetic as I assume you and your club would be okay to lose money because they phoned to say sorry? emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

It's not them holding a grudge. Whenever Kelty seem to make a statement it tends to be more open and transparent than the usual, and they typically go into detail over the course of events that led to the statement being made so as to communicate the situation to their fans fully. This statement about the Selkirk game being called off falls in line with their approach to social media.

Some examples

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not sure Kelty have gained anything, other than venting frustration, by releasing a public statement. 

A simple expression of disappointment at losing out would have been enough. Other points should have been made privately.

100 % this.

Was there any need to make the bus public?  They informed the LL who informed Kelty. Do players no get their payments anyways? No need to quote the 2k lost either. 

Did they make it public a few weeks ago when arranging a friendly the other team were made to pay halfers on everything? Only going by someone's post on here right enough so might no be any truth in it but still sometimes better no washing linen in public :whistle

21 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

100 % this.

Was there any need to make the bus public?  They informed the LL who informed Kelty. Do players no get their payments anyways? No need to quote the 2k lost either. 

Did they make it public a few weeks ago when arranging a friendly the other team were made to pay halfers on everything? Only going by someone's post on here right enough so might no be any truth in it but still sometimes better no washing linen in public :whistle

The bus is the bit that confuses me. A conversation must have taken place to make that offer. Who spoke to who, when and what was the conversation?  

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The bus is the bit that confuses me. A conversation must have taken place to make that offer. Who spoke to who, when and what was the conversation?  

I'm led to believe they have their own bus now sarge and  Good luck to them it seems a case of How the other half live :thumsup2

I'm  not excusing Selkirk, They find themselves in a  division  well above their natural level though and should probably make the best if a bad lot by taking a demotion. By the looks of it that will happen naturally.

Kelty should accept that shit happens.

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It reads to me that the offer was made as part of the call or email with the Lowland League.

LL explain that Selkirk can't get a team together, Kelty offer the bus if it would help and presumably the LL say it's a bit more difficult than just the costs and organising travel for the day.