Selkirk FC thread

afca32

I'm not following the argument about going into abeyance. If Selkirk have debts surely it would make more sense to trundle on with ammies playing to get at least some income? Or would the cost of hosting/travelling still outweigh matchday income?

Unless the idea is they do a Sevco and come back as a phoenix club

Factual point here: it's possible to end bottom and not go down. Either by LL champion winning promotion and Elgin/Peterhead being relegated, or neither EOSL/SOSL winner being licensed.
Think they still need to apply to stay under that scenario and other licensed clubs can apply to replace them. That's what happened with Threave anyway who chose not to apply when finishing bottom.

5 hours ago, Golum said:

I applaud the effort being made by those left at Selkirk in their efforts to continue :thumsup2

But will be interesting to see how many of those players stay after their visit to Kelty :whistle

They have quite a tough few weeks all-told: Civil Service tomorrow; away to Kelty on Saturday; cup-ties at Sauchie and v Upper Annandale; midweek trip to Spartans; away to Cumbernauld.

As of yesterday - before last night's open trial - they had 6 signed players, with 2 more in process and some loans coming in, according to the local paper:

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/16400525.selkirk-host-open-training-session-to-ease-player-shortage/

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

I also hear that tomorrows Selkirk game is on, hope they can gather together get some points on the board and relegate the seething mess that is the Whitehill fandom.

Kingy do you put the milk in your tea before or after the hot water? 

5 minutes ago, Banana man said:

So it’s ok for the club to carry on & just completely ignore the fact they broke contracts last season leaving many players unpaid as well as other outstanding  debts? Doesn’t seem right that??

Suppose if they try and continue they can get money from the SFA, Scottish Cup first round, and sponsors.

40 minutes ago, Banana man said:

So it’s ok for the club to carry on & just completely ignore the fact they broke contracts last season leaving many players unpaid as well as other outstanding  debts? Doesn’t seem right that??

If the players are unpaid they have avenues to claim back their money, the same's true of anyone else with outstanding debts. I'm not entirely what the league can do until someone starts a chain reaction by claiming for money that the club can't pay or they voluntarily go into administration/bust.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

...As of yesterday - before last night's open trial - they had 6 signed players, with 2 more in process and some loans coming in, according to the local paper...

Mind boggling for a club at this level until you remember this is a relatively remote town of 5000 or so with rugby as the main sport that would never have got anywhere near the fifth tier if the juniors had been part of the pyramid process from the outset. An amateur club should be about the limit of what you would expect Selkirk to sustain, so it was probably only a matter of time until it all unravelled.

Last season it was Hawick , this season will be Selkirk or Welfare ,,,,money eventually catches up and those with limited ( or those that over spent and didnt pay their players ) will eventually sink out the league for good

Thats just the way it is :(

2 hours ago, Golum said:

Last season it was Hawick , this season will be Selkirk or Welfare ,,,,money eventually catches up and those with limited ( or those that over spent and didnt pay their players ) will eventually sink out the league for good

Thats just the way it is :(

I reckon 2 will be  relegated this season anyway.

Albion Rovers haven't started well and reading through the lines it looks like they're in for a tough season.

Edited by newcastle broon

Projecting miles ahead I too have a hunch that Albion Rovers may finish bottom. 

Hoping for an EK v Cove playoff as that would be a cracker.

Predicting EK going all the way resulting in just the one relegation, potentially saving Welfare - all’s well that ends well. Let’s just end the season now on this!

Quiet, even sombre atmosphere at the game tonight - also a poor crowd, given the homesters situation and it being the only game on. Both sides had 14-man squads... for Selkirk this was 4 up on last midweek, for Civil Service apparently the result of two-thirds of a team's worth being out injured / suspended. Chat on the terraces was the home side had added a couple of locals and a couple of loaness from Edusport though I could not tell myself. From a team-line it seemed about two-thirds were signed, one-third trialists. It certainly looked a mix of ages and experience.

Scoreline was about right - maybe a goal harsh on Selkirk. They worked hard without threatening much, and have their keeper to thank for several excellent blocks and a couple of snap saves. CSS scored fairly early by a glanced header off a floated cross, then bundled-home an effort from close in to lead by 2 at HT, having also blasted several efforts high or wide and spurned some 1-on-1s. Selkirk had spells of possession and it was to-n-fro early in 2nd half. Civil stung 2 more from cut-backs after the hour, then a rocket towards the end. FT 0-5.

Late-on the sun was setting and smoke from a bonfire drifted across the ground. Not omens, let's hope.

Projecting miles ahead I too have a hunch that Albion Rovers may finish bottom. 
Hoping for an EK v Cove playoff as that would be a cracker.
Predicting EK going all the way resulting in just the one relegation, potentially saving Welfare - all’s well that ends well. Let’s just end the season now on this!
I agree except Shire vs Cove has more appeal I'd say [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Think the LL winners go up this year though, regardless of who's 10th.

50 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

I agree except Shire vs Cove has more appeal I'd say emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png.

Think the LL winners go up this year though, regardless of who's 10th.

Lol love it!

Shire had great end to last season so never know. I was there when they went down and I’ll be back if they end up in playoff. 

Great year for the Lowland League upcoming yet again