Selkirk FC thread

afca32

53 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Not ridiculous, forward thinking.

You seem bizarrely angry over a valid point - buttocks clenching that your team is doomed?

Selkirk haven't folded bud.

Yer last post stated they had. Whether they fulfil seasons fixtures is another question but the league certainly won't finish mid August.

There were 3 or 4 teams last season who until the end of season were sweating buckets on the SPFL2 play off and that was long after the bottom team were relegated. 

I think it's quite exciting at the bottom actually so wi a wee bit hope my team may not YET be doomed. :rolleyes:

"Better to have loved and lost" and all that. Unlike others at the time. :P

Our time will come though let's worry aboot it when it does ;) 

Edited by newcastle broon

4 hours ago, Jason King said:

Not ridiculous, forward thinking.

You seem bizarrely angry over a valid point - buttocks clenching that your team is doomed?

So you think changing a league set up after it has started is not ridiculous 

I do not see how filling a team with  Freebie loan players results in any benefit for any club ( including Selkirk )

Surely its not fair on other teams to play a higher quality Selkirk team when others did not  

just my opinion :(

Lowland League Board Statement: Selkirk FC

The board of the Lowland League would like to take this opportunity to clarify their position regarding forthcoming fixtures for Selkirk FC.

It is expected that the club will fulfil their scheduled fixture against Civil Service Strollers on Wednesday (8th August) and all subsequent Lowland League fixtures. A further statement will be issued after further consultation between the Lowland League board and the officials of Selkirk FC.

I do not see how filling a team with  Freebie loan players results in any benefit for any club ( including Selkirk )
Surely its not fair on other teams to play a higher quality Selkirk team when others did not  
just my opinion [emoji20]

There’s a maximum on number of loans and trialists able to play on any given match day I think, so likely they’d need at least a dozen signed players to maintain a squad

Maybe it would be better all round if they pulled out, got their house in order and re-joined the EoS next season. What have they left to lose, they are headed for the EoS anyway and if they drop into the Premier (assuming they survive) it could be another.long season for them.

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Maybe it would be better all round if they pulled out, got their house in order and re-joined the EoS next season. What have they left to lose, they are headed for the EoS anyway and if they drop into the Premier (assuming they survive) it could be another.long season for them.

Better all round for a team to pull out after starting the season..really...what can they do  different too "get there house in order without a team than they can with a team.....

Edited by magoo

3 minutes ago, magoo said:

Better all round for a team to pull out after starting the season..really...what can they they different too "get there house in order without a team than they can with a team.....

Trying to stuggle on with little hope of avoiding humpings and relegation isn't always the best way to go about it, particularly if they are also struggling financially. 

Look at Crossgates Primrose as a recent example, were struggling badly in the East South Division three seasons back, withdrew December, came back following season and have gone from strength to strength culminating this season in draws against Linlithgow and Penicuik and beating Sauchie in their first three games as a senior club.   Sometimes a step backwards can help move forward longer term.

Carry on this season there's the chance to avoid relegation, also means falling into EoS Premier the following season if they get relegated. Withdraw from the league they would probably have to be treated as a new applicant to the EoS and start from the bottom.

HibeeJibee broke down the club's finishes since the 80s. As a club, Selkirk are used to battling at the bottom and being on the wrong end of scorelines. Persevering at their highest level looking to defy expectations is probably better than accepting defeat and giving up so early into the season.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Carry on this season there's the chance to avoid relegation, also means falling into EoS Premier the following season if they get relegated. Withdraw from the league they would probably have to be treated as a new applicant to the EoS and start from the bottom.

HibeeJibee broke down the club's finishes since the 80s. As a club, Selkirk are used to battling at the bottom and being on the wrong end of scorelines. Persevering at their highest level looking to defy expectations is probably better than accepting defeat and giving up so early into the season.

I guess what I'm saying is that they need to take stock of where they are and what realistic chance they have of surviving long term in the LL (and for that matter an EoS Premier), as you point out historically they have always battled at the bottom, is it worth the effort this season to eventualy bow to the inevitable?  Just another way of looking at it, if they stick at it then good luck to those trying to dig them out of the mess.

15 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I guess what I'm saying is that they need to take stock of where they are and what realistic chance they have of surviving long term in the LL (and for that matter an EoS Premier), as you point out historically they have always battled at the bottom, is it worth the effort this season to eventualy bow to the inevitable?  Just another way of looking at it, if they stick at it then good luck to those trying to dig them out of the mess.

Guess it'll depend on what kind of squad they can piece together through this open day and whatever else they've been working on. If they look at what they've got and think they'll get battered each week they might not think it's worth the effort. If they think it can sneak 15th or higher they'll probably give it a go.

3 games into a 30 game season some might see this as half full or half empty.

image.png.474c010a2a87196a6c697086435d2913.png