Selkirk FC thread

afca32

11 minutes ago, Marten said:

They'd probably be seen as a relegated team, meaning they'd go into tier 6 = EOS Premier.

The way things are going it looks like Selkirk will go the same way as Kelso and end up with no senior side so I wouldn't waste time wondering what level they will fall in to.

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

It has every relevance if the teams blocking progression up the pyramid are there on false pretences.

Selkirk finished 5th last season, so they would have been in this season's Lowland League even if there had been 10 relegation places.

Selkirk finished 5th last season, so they would have been in this season's Lowland League even if there had been 10 relegation places.

Which is obviously factually accurate. Think the poster alluding to the fact that they’ve survived for so long in the Lowland under false pretences - if they’d been following the rules and paying what they could afford they’d have been out that league ages ago

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Which is a wilful misrepresentation of what I said. I'm talking about this season, last season they spent money they didn't have and as a consequence they have now essentially folded after 2 games of this season, when it would appear from reading this very forum that people have been mentioning they were in the doo doo for weeks - they have made a mockery of the LL and have taken away from Threave the opportunity to play in the LL.

Selkirk are done so they essentially fill the relegation spot for this season, the LL should come out now and say that Team 15 come the end of the season will be relegated and 2 clubs promoted (1 from EoS and 1 from South) - other clubs shouldn't survive in the LL just because of a lack of financial acumen elsewhere - demoting Selkirk over the next couple of weeks for whatever reason and not relegating anyone else will kill the league for around 13 teams who by mid August will have absolutely nothing to play for.

All IMO obviously.

Edited by Jason King

if they go into abeyance they should be relegated to bottom league of east scotland. no relegations from lowland unless hl team go to spfl and bottom team south of tay. why can’t they use amateur team to fill place in league 

1 hour ago, Golum said:

Cant say i agree with the postponement ,, not fair on other teams 

Either play or fold 

IF they can find a way to stabilise and fulfil their fixtures for this season I'd rather give them a couple of weeks breathing space than remove them.

5 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

IF they can find a way to stabilise and fulfil their fixtures for this season I'd rather give them a couple of weeks breathing space than remove them.

I agree with the sentiment but other teams wait till they get players in ( loans etc) and when their stronger they will decide to play ?

So next its ,,,,sorry we are missing 5 players who are injured and on holiday can we just miss a few weeks ?

:thumbsdown

32 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

if they go into abeyance they should be relegated to bottom league of east scotland. no relegations from lowland unless hl team go to spfl and bottom team south of tay. why can’t they use amateur team to fill place in league 

You are probably right that if Selkirk fold then no team will be relegated from LL (depending on promotion/relegation situation with SPFL) but it would be a shame as the league campaign would be pretty meaningless for many of the clubs.  

Edit: I guess not actually as there will still be the possibility for 15th to go down so teams will be trying to avoid finishing 15th.

Edited by stanley

45 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

The club is crippled with debt, the amateur team (who sit independently) would have to take that on which won't happen. Plus the fact that they play in the third tier of the local amateur league and would get walloped every week - no player in that team would give up a Saturday to be hit into double figures in Glasgow, Stirling etc every week.

The youth set up is a big concern too. Although they are technically a separate entity (not members of the club due to concerns over first team finances), Selkirk first team have used the juniors to secure additional funding and may have dragged them under as well. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen as around 100 kids would be left with no football!

19 minutes ago, stanley said:

You are probably right that if Selkirk fold then no team will be relegated from LL (depending on promotion/relegation situation with SPFL) but it would be a shame as the league campaign would be pretty meaningless for many of the clubs.  

Edit: I guess not actually as there will still be the possibility for 15th to go down so teams will be trying to avoid finishing 15th.

Just bring in auto relegation for two teams every season starting next season worth a punt

There is a case here the SFA have to answer. Clubs who have had to put up with a lot of nitpicking bureaucracy to get licenced must be wondering how Selkirk's books slipped through the net.

8 minutes ago, info said:

There is a case here the SFA have to answer. Clubs who have had to put up with a lot of nitpicking bureaucracy to get licenced must be wondering how Selkirk's books slipped through the net.

This is exactly what I was getting at a couple pages back. 

7 hours ago, Ross O'Neri said:

Threave don't want to come up.

Off-topic for this thread, but do you think Threave would want to play in a league which spanned the west of Scotland rather than the Lowland (at whatever level)?

8 hours ago, Marten said:

They'd probably be seen as a relegated team, meaning they'd go into tier 6 = EOS Premier.

You could compare it to the Gretna situation I suppose. The way I remember it they were relegated by the SPL, but couldn't meet the requirements of the SFL so were sent down to the 3rd Division before officially going bust. I'm not sure the EoS would accept a team that doesn't play out the season into their new EoS Premier.

Looking at the Lowland League's current constitution which is from 2017. If Selkirk were to resign or be expelled from the league the vacancy would be open to application.

As for relegation, the wording uses "bottom club" not 16th or 15th. So if Selkirk were to resign or be expelled there's the argument that 15th would face automatic relegation if at least one tier 6 champion is licenced. But then team 15 could just apply for the vacancy created by Selkirk's departure and not actually be relegated in the end :)

3 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

If a team goes bust/abeyance then it has to go to the bottom of the pile and start again. By next season that could well be tier 7 or 8.

The LL was formed when a certain club from Glasgow shall we say had it's problems but they didn't venture that far doon.

The LL was formed when a certain club from Glasgow shall we say had it's problems but they didn't venture that far doon.

Rangers went bust early 2012 and I believe the LL started in 2013. The lowest they could go at the time of liquidation was SFL2 I would have thought.

If it happened to any club now they should be going to the bottom of the pile, I’m surprised that the SFL2 haven’t brought in a new rule that SFL2 is as low as you can go.

13 hours ago, Jason King said:

It has every relevance if the teams blocking progression up the pyramid are there on false pretences.

You think 2 months after the juniors decide they want to feed off the sfa cash cow that they/you have some moralistic right to shout about what they want and what should happen regarding Scottish football and everyone should pipe down and agree to proposals....Selkirk were founder member's of the much ridicule lowland league at the start....pardon me if I don't bow down to junior clubs and fans proclaiming what should happen