Selkirk FC thread

afca32

Article from the Southern Reporter earlier today:

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/aiming-to-make-a-fresh-start-and-take-club-out-of-crisis-1-4777867

Aiming to make a fresh start and take club out of crisis

Recently-elected Selkirk FC chairman Jay-Dee Sharkey says he’s committed to finding a path out of the crisis currently enmeshing the club and taking the Souters forward. The club has announced former Hibernian player and Gala Fairydean manager Gordon Rae as interim first-team boss, after the departure of Terry Ferguson following just one competitive game. Ferguson said he had deep concerns over Selkirk’s financial predicament, after claims that around £12,000 could be owed to players who had not been paid since last season.

Sharkey (43) said he could not comment at present on the financial issues. But he intended to take a methodical, step-by-step approach to steering the Yarrow Park outfit ahead. The chairman took over his new post from Ross Anderson after the July 19 annual general meeting. He was proposed and seconded, and said he hadn’t expected the job but did not want to see the club in trouble if a new chairman could not be found.

“I have a lot of things I need to look at, having just come in and taken on the role,” he said. “It’s a massive step for myself and trying to figure out what’s happend previously and how we can take the club forward.” Before Rae’s interim appointment was confirmed, Sharkey said he’d been in contact with potential managers and hoped that, despite all the current concerns, and whatever had happened before, the team could be rebuilt.

“It’s a fresh start,” he said. “Different areas in the club are being moved and changed around. We need to look at atracting players and progressing. That’s the main job at the moment – build a team before we can comment further.” How things were prioritised would be particularly important, said Sharkey. Things would have to be categorised carefully and taken step by step, against the background of potential for moving Selkirk FC forward and possibly attracting new sponsors.

“If you tackle big things straight away, you are possibly neglecting other things, which might have happened in the past,” he suggested. “It’s going to be a long road ahead – slow and patient. “What happened previously – I have that to deal with on a different level and I can’t be held responsible.” The chairman said he would be trying to focus on the best ways to run the club and hoped to have people around him who could bring back the trust and excitement, as well as bringing back the community and the town of Selkirk as well.

However, Selkirk suffered a 10-0 hammering at East Kilbride on Saturday in the first game of the new Lowland League season. Last night, they went down 8-0 in a home game agains Gretna 2008. This Saturday, they are due to face Edusport Academy at home, followed by another game at Yarrow Park on Wednesday evening against Civil Service Strollers.

Apart from last season, Selkirk have always been near the bottom of the Lowland League. Where did they finish prior to that in the East of Scotland? Can't find any EoS tables online for 2012-13 and the few seasons before that.

Edited by Ginaro

Returned for 1986-87 after folding for 2yrs:

EOS League
1986-87       12 / 18

EOSL First Division
1987-88          9 / 10
1988-89          8 / 10
1989-90          5 / 10
1990-91          6 / 10
1991-92          3 / 10
1992-93          8 / 10
1993-94          4 / 10
1994-95          6 / 11
1995-96          6 / 12
1996-97          3 / 12
1997-98       10 / 12
1998-99       11 / 13
1999-00       11 / 11
2000-01       10 / 11
2001-02       10 / 12
2002-03          8 / 12
2003-04          8 / 12
2004-05          3 / 12
2005-06          2 / 12 (promoted)

EOSL Premier Division
2006-07       10 / 12
2007-08       11 / 12 (reprieved relegation as Annan elected to SFL post-season)
2008-09       10 / 12
2009-10       10 / 11 (effectively reprieved relegation as Dalbeattie resigned pre-season)
2010-11       10 / 12
2011-12       12 / 12 (relegated)

EOSL First Division
2012-13          9 / 14

Lowland League
2013-14       12 / 12
2014-15       12 / 14
2015-16       12 / 15
2016-17       15 / 16
2017-18          5 / 16

Returned for 1986-87 after folding for 2yrs:

EOS League
1986-87       12 / 18

EOSL First Division
1987-88          9 / 10
1988-89          8 / 10
1989-90          5 / 10
1990-91          6 / 10
1991-92          3 / 10
1992-93          8 / 10
1993-94          4 / 10
1994-95          6 / 11
1995-96          6 / 12
1996-97          3 / 12
1997-98       10 / 12
1998-99       11 / 13
1999-00       11 / 11
2000-01       10 / 11
2001-02       10 / 12
2002-03          8 / 12
2003-04          8 / 12
2004-05          3 / 12
2005-06          2 / 12 (promoted)

EOSL Premier Division
2006-07       10 / 12
2007-08       11 / 12 (reprieved relegation as Annan elected to SFL post-season)
2008-09       10 / 12
2009-10       10 / 11 (effectively reprieved relegation as Dalbeattie resigned pre-season)
2010-11       10 / 12
2011-12       12 / 12 (relegated)

EOSL First Division
2012-13          9 / 14

Lowland League
2013-14       12 / 12
2014-15       12 / 14
2015-16       12 / 15
2016-17       15 / 16
2017-18          5 / 16

So essentially they’ve been horrific for just about every one of their 30 years back. The only exception being last season where they couldn’t afford to pay the players they used to get into that situation.

Thanks for that @HibeeJibee, basically 17/18 was a total one-off.

According to their accounts at the end of May 2016 they had £36k in the bank: https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s18336/Item 7a - Application from Selkirk FC.pdf

The floodlights funding application in April 2017 shows they were only spending £3k of their own money and getting £50k of the £58k required from other sources. So where did all that money go in 16/17 and 17/18 - did they splash the cash on players in the latter season? Is there any way the SFA licensing process could have stopped it getting to this stage?

Edited by Ginaro

Sad state of affairs but sometimes living beyond your means catches up eventually ?

IMO if possible moving to EOS  as option now as their league has not started yet 

Delaying games would not be an option as other teams would be discriminated by this ( can we wait till we have a strong 11 players to play later ! ) 

Therefore option s 

1.Continue as is (despite the drubbings and hope it improves )

2.Fold - re enter EOS next season

3.Move to EOS ( if allowed ) now 

4. ?

The season has started they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the EOS this season.

The season has started they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the EOS this season.
I dunno drs, im sure everyone in conference B would be happy to swap them for last season's EoS runner up. [emoji846]

Whatever happens, hope they survive. Whatever the problems on and off the field, it's always a nice place to go and the people who run the club couldn't be any more welcoming the times I've been there. Not nice seeing them struggling.

Sorry but they have played TWO games in the Lowland League - for them then to be allowed to pull out of that league and then enter into a different league where clubs have already started playing fixtures, albeit cup ties, would be Junior levels of ineptness and corruption from the EOS and LL.

It does highlight though that there should certainly be more relegation places at the bottom of the LL to ensure progressive clubs can make appropriate moves upwards and it also highlights that maybe governance isn't what it could be in the LL.

Whatever happens, hope they survive. Whatever the problems on and off the field, it's always a nice place to go and the people who run the club couldn't be any more welcoming the times I've been there. Not nice seeing them struggling.

This I don’t get that much. Those nice people who welcome you, have been the same people mismanaging the funds and essentially not paying the players what they are due.

If your bosses at work didn’t pay you since Christmas would you still want them to stay in the gig because they were always nice to you at break and lunch time?

f**k it's been a long time since I've been on here but thought I'd throw in my pennies worth:

1. No chairman 

2. No players (Only 5 available for game tomorrow)

3. No manager

4. No money 

The crooks that have run the club for the last 7 or 8 years have ruined the club. Spending money like it's going out of fashion and not looking to the future and now look what's happened. Projects like the Majorca Academy etc were an absolute farce. Players travelling up to Selkirk from all over the country whose families paid for them to stay and play were misled. It was all a scam IMO. The former chairman should be hung out to dry for this and I hope he is made to pay for all the false promises that has ultimately cost the club. 

Club received a £47k windfall a month or so ago, after a man in the town passed away and left money to all the sports clubs. This went straight into their debts and it hasn't even touched the sides. Absolute joke. No money left at all to invest in the Juniors whose own setup could now be compromised.

A dark dark day for football in Selkirk, a club formed in 1880 and dragged through the gutter by reckless management.

Edited by Selkirk Loyal

15 minutes ago, Selkirk Loyal said:

f**k it's been a long time since I've been on here but thought I'd throw in my pennies worth:

1. No chairman 

3. No manager

4. No money 

The crooks that have run the club for the last 7 or 8 years have ruined the club. Spending money like it's going out of fashion and not looking to the future and now look what's happened. Projects like the Majorca Academy etc were an absolute farce. Players travelling up to Selkirk from all over the country whose families paid for them to stay and play were misled. It was all a scam IMO. The former chairman should be hung out to dry for this and I hope he is made to pay for all the false promises that has ultimately cost the club. 

Club received a £47k windfall a month or so ago, after a man in the town passed away and left money to all the sports clubs. This went straight into their debts and it hasn't even touched the sides. Absolute joke. No money left at all to invest in the Juniors whose own setup could now be compromised.

A dark dark day for football in Selkirk, a club formed in 1880 and dragged through the gutter by reckless management.

This stuff has been doing the rounds now it’s hit the heights of Pie & Bovril. The wonderful world of non league fitba eh. 

1. No chairman 
3. No manager
4. No money 

[emoji1319][emoji1319]
Excellent post