Partick Thistle v St. Johnstone - 1/2/17

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Genuine question to Saints fans on here, is that the kind of football you's play most weeks and do you genuinely find it enjoyable? *Not a wind up*

It's genuinely not. We are a capable footballing side but Tommy loves a defensive set up for away games.

Booth has had an absolute shocker there. I admire St Johnstone, apart from our first season up and maybe one or two games in the seasons after that, our performances haven't even been that entertaining, unless they have involved us winning by 2 or more and we start playing with confidence and freedom. Why wouldn't you want to be able to hold on to 1-0 leads and be a solid top six team? 

Also, even though they were hit pretty much directly at the keeper. We have been denied by two very good reaction saves in the last two games.

21 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Genuine question to Saints fans on here, is that the kind of football you's play most weeks and do you genuinely find it enjoyable? *Not a wind up*

No. We play football when we can.  The difference is we play for results first and foremost; we scrap and battle where we have to, we generally clear our lines without messing about, but we play football at times as well.

Last night the first half was fairly open, with both teams passing it about. After about 20 minutes Thistle started dominating, as they're probably far better at a possession game than us, so we did what we had to to get the result.

Away from home in a difficult fixture sometimes that's what you've got to do.  My only gripe was running the ball into the corner flag with 5 mins to go, I've never seen us do that so early in a game, and in truth for me is pretty pish in a routine league fixture, I'd rather see us go for a second and kill the game and save that until the final 20 seconds...

But if those 3 points are what helps us get to Europe at the end of the season, then I'll not be complaining too much :thumsup2

Regarding Danny Swanson, he lost a really close friend around Xmas time and I am guessing it has impacted him that it has started to effect his performances. Also his form early season was ridiculously good and only natural for him to struggle to hit those highs Every week. Alot of teams now double up on him etc and he is finding it tougher.

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Regarding Danny Swanson, he lost a really close friend around Xmas time and I am guessing it has impacted him that it has started to effect his performances. Also his form early season was ridiculously good and only natural for him to struggle those highs. Alot of teams now double up on him etc and he is finding it tougher.

Sorry to hear that Danny.

Yes

Anti football 4 LYF.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

My only gripe was running the ball into the corner flag with 5 mins to go, I've never seen us do that so early in a game, and in truth for me is pretty pish in a routine league fixture, I'd rather see us go for a second and kill the game and save that until the final 20 seconds...

I'm glad at least some of you get where I'm coming from with this. St Johnstone are a good enough side that with us chasing the game they could have as easily scored a second to kill it off in the last 10 minutes as they could have just played for time in the corner. No denying the tactic worked, but I'd like to see a league where the mentality of clubs across the board, but especially in the position St Johnstone are in would be "let's get that second goal, it might help us pip the Glasgow Protestants, the Edinburgh Protestants or the Infamous to a higher league position."

FWIW, I think Wright's pragmatic rather than naturally defensive. We have played entertaining football under him when we have had the quality in the final third - notably in the cup winning season and the first half of last season.

One of the reasons for the success saints have had the last 5 years or so has been managers that have dealt with periods when we don't carry much threat by resorting to being hard to beat. At the moment we lack quality going forward and the one stand out we have being off form - but still took 6 from 6 in the last two games. I imagine more principled teams wouldn't have.

I'm glad at least some of you get where I'm coming from with this. St Johnstone are a good enough side that with us chasing the game they could have as easily scored a second to kill it off in the last 10 minutes as they could have just played for time in the corner. No denying the tactic worked, but I'd like to see a league where the mentality of clubs across the board, but especially in the position St Johnstone are in would be "let's get that second goal, it might help us pip the Glasgow Protestants, the Edinburgh Protestants or the Infamous to a higher league position."

Wright was assistant, and then manager, during a spell where we regularly conceded counter attacking goals, which costs us points. He learned from that to the degree he was probably thinking a cast iron 1-0 win (which going deep against soft teams like Partick guarantees) gives us a better chance than gambling on scoring another, which matter little due to the gulf in goal difference between us and those above us.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Wright was assistant, and then manager, during a spell where we regularly conceded counter attacking goals, which costs us points. He learned from that to the degree he was probably thinking a cast iron 1-0 win (which going deep against soft teams like Partick guarantees) gives us a better chance than gambling on scoring another, which matter little due to the gulf in goal difference between us and those above us.

It's negative thinking like that that explains why Scotland might as well have a 4-team top-tier and then an 8-team league below it.

We also lost/drew(?) a game against a pish Barry Smith Dundee side by pissing about in the last minutes instead of running the clock down which might explain the mind set a bit.

That and Macca is a bit of a c*nt.

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

For all St johnstones perceived negative football, is it not down to the home team to overcome that (considering they play an attacking brand according to supporters) ??

Of course it is. No one on this thread has disputed that Thistle were rotten, especially in the second half, yesterday evening.

I'd rather win and ugly and get opposition fans seething than win playing Barca style football tbh.

It's negative thinking like that that explains why Scotland might as well have a 4-team top-tier and then an 8-team league below it.

How is wanting three points less ambitious than wanting to score one more goal?

Wanting to score more goals isn't mutually inconsistent with wanting three points.

Well yeah, but you seem to be suggesting not wanting to score a second is a lack of ambition to catch the teams above us, which is moronic.

We can only gain more points than them, so winning more games is more important than goals. Understanding we're worse going forward than these clubs isn't a lack of ambition

Archived