Partick Thistle v St. Johnstone - 1/2/17

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a truly dreadful way to spend an evening - a fucking painful excuse for a game of football. Credit to St Johnstone for defending the gift of a goal that we gave them. Not pretty to watch but I always find those wins far more satisfying than a resounding trouncing. I'm weird though, I suppose.

I thought after a slow start that we came into the game in the first half and were really the only team in it for a large spell. Miraculous save from Clark to deny Keown at point blank range. The ever frustrating (for me at least) Edwards decided to acrobatically attempt to diving head towards an open goal when he appeared to be in a better position to volley. Two real good chances; had either went in, I think we might have had a more enjoyable night.

Real lapse in concentration from Booth. Can't be too harsh on him as he has been the epitome of consistency for quite some time. As soon as St Johnstone had something to hold onto, it was going to be a long night.

It was up to us to find a way back into the game but instead, we resorted to a horrifically ham-fisted style and allowed St Johnstone to drag us into a scrap which they were better equipped to win. 

Couldn't see what happened with Christie's sending off. He had a tremendous amount of the ball tonight and utterly failed on almost every occasion to deliver any quality into the box - I say almost as there was an early low cross that evaded everyone. Our full backs are vitally important to our attacking style and Christie simply doesn't possess the quality on the ball that we need there at the minute. It's horses for courses to a certain extent, and I think he's a good option there, but in games where we're looking to be in the ascendancy, I think we need more quality from that position.

Barton is wasted in midfield for me; I think we benefit as a team far more with his presence at the back. Welsh didn't deserve to be subbed tonight; Lawless contributed little all night and was outmuscled at every turn especially when deploying him in-field, and I think Edwards has massive holes in his game that are particularly exposed when he plays deeper. Either of them should have been hooked for Osman but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

First time seeing Keown, and I thought he was too small for my liking. If I recall, the passage of play that led to the goal resulted from him losing out in the air. Tidy enough on the ball but - shock, horror - I think I prefer Devine who was actually starting to grow on me. Can see Keown doing a turn at full back if Dumbuya isn't quite fit enough to start.

Finishing the game with Azeez and Amoo as our strikeforce really highlighted the absence of a proper forward alternative. But to be fair, we could still be playing and not have come any closer to an equaliser.

Glad that I can't make the Cup game if that drudgery is what awaits. 

Well that was a truly dreadful way to spend an evening - a fucking painful excuse for a game of football. Credit to St Johnstone for defending the gift of a goal that we gave them. Not pretty to watch but I always find those wins far more satisfying than a resounding trouncing. I'm weird though, I suppose.
I thought after a slow start that we came into the game in the first half and were really the only team in it for a large spell. Miraculous save from Clark to deny Keown at point blank range. The ever frustrating (for me at least) Edwards decided to acrobatically attempt to diving head towards an open goal when he appeared to be in a better position to volley. Two real good chances; had either went in, I think we might have had a more enjoyable night.
Real lapse in concentration from Booth. Can't be too harsh on him as he has been the epitome of consistency for quite some time. As soon as St Johnstone had something to hold onto, it was going to be a long night.
It was up to us to find a way back into the game but instead, we resorted to a horrifically ham-fisted style and allowed St Johnstone to drag us into a scrap which they were better equipped to win. 
Couldn't see what happened with Christie's sending off. He had a tremendous amount of the ball tonight and utterly failed on almost every occasion to deliver any quality into the box - I say almost as there was an early low cross that evaded everyone. Our full backs are vitally important to our attacking style and Christie simply doesn't possess the quality on the ball that we need there at the minute. It's horses for courses to a certain extent, and I think he's a good option there, but in games where we're looking to be in the ascendancy, I think we need more quality from that position.
Barton is wasted in midfield for me; I think we benefit as a team far more with his presence at the back. Welsh didn't deserve to be subbed tonight; Lawless contributed little all night and was outmuscled at every turn especially when deploying him in-field, and I think Edwards has massive holes in his game that are particularly exposed when he plays deeper. Either of them should have been hooked for Osman but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
First time seeing Keown, and I thought he was too small for my liking. If I recall, the passage of play that led to the goal resulted from him losing out in the air. Tidy enough on the ball but - shock, horror - I think I prefer Devine who was actually starting to grow on me. Can see Keown doing a turn at full back if Dumbuya isn't quite fit enough to start.
Finishing the game with Azeez and Amoo as our strikeforce really highlighted the absence of a proper forward alternative. But to be fair, we could still be playing and not have come any closer to an equaliser.
Glad that I can't make the Cup game if that drudgery is what awaits. 

Agree with most of this. But Keown seems very tidy and really didn't put a foot wrong all night and almost got us a result. He'll be good for us and seems to have clicked with Lindsay. Agree with You on Booth. His mistake and it cost us dearly but he's been very good since coming to us. Elliott also had a great first half, battering runs down the wing, but needless red at end of the match. Very immature.

I totally agree with on Barton. He's not a central midfielder. He's better marshaling the defense. His size, vision and ability to be cool under pressure. He doesn't play with enough energy or quickness to be in midfield.

Edwards again works extremely hard but he lacks that killer instinct. And what has happened to Squiddy? He's really not firing at all. Some nice attempts but his consistency isn't there. Far too quiet. Welsh was his consistent self tonight.

But the player who I think really needs to buck up is Lawless. Why is Archibald playing this guy? He's anonymous for large periods, and when he does come into the game creates very little. He's lacks physicality and really creates very little at present.

We just cannot beat teams in the top six or on a night when it matters. We've got to win our home games if we want to finish 5th - 6th and whilst we have a squad as good as I've seen in a long time the stability and touch of final third quality just isn't there yet. Our home form is poor. Saints you can see are very well organized and drilled. They didn't play great but they did all the fundamentals very well. A good side. Miller was excellent this evening.

We can finish in top 6 but there is something missing. Amoo coming on at end to play in a forwards position wasn't really a good move and I'm convinced we need a whily, tenured, mature Grady type up front or in attacking mid role. We lack that experience up front. Love Dools but he also hasn't had as good a season as the previous few. He's been inconsistent. Plus Azeez is useless as an impact sub. It's not his game. He's a big lad who needs to get plenty of play time and we aren't going to do that for him due to his lack of scoring prowess.

Some of you may disagree but that's my thoughts on the game tonight. We've got depth and strength but we are just missing that last ingredient. Surely we have to click at some point?

A stereotypical Saints away performance under Tommy Wright.

Thistle deserved to be well ahead in the first half, in what was a very open game up til half time, but they were poor second half and created very little.

Zander was excellent for us, Chris Millar made more tackles/ nicked the ball more than any midfielder I've seen in a while, he was excellent. Macca was superb.  Thought Easton and Shaughnessy also had decent games.

Nothing at all came off for Swanson, and Spoony was a big improvement. Danny was poor and looked low on confidence.

I'm perfectly happy with a shitfest win away from home, as you need that over the course of the season, but but travelling thru to Glasgow to watch your team and for 5 of the 90 minutes you get to watch them try to stand over the ball at the corner flag is shite.  Fair enough the last 20 seconds, or if it's a win in a big European match, but it's away at Partick Thistle in the league FFS.

I realise this is probably against the grain!

That free kick when Spoony could have had a go at curling it into the top corner, instead we play it backwards out to the corner flag ... :wacko:

Congratulations St Johnstone on breaking Partick Thistle [emoji38]

I see there's a thread on your forum about how we're driving attendances down at Firhill and that people will boycott the cup game to prevent us getting money (we don't need the money from that game, fwiw).

Verging on beating Aberdeen fans for the biggest meltdown here, just needing a player to label us a rugby team.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I see there's a thread on your forum about how we're driving attendances down at Firhill and that people will boycott the cup game to prevent us getting money (we don't need the money from that game, fwiw).

Verging on beating Aberdeen fans for the biggest meltdown here, just needing a player to label us a rugby team.

The Jags fans on here are the cream of the crop in an online sense. WAT is pretty poor and Facebook is utter eye cancer at times (although this trait can be applied to most if not all clubs from what I've seen).

Getting beat 1-0 is actually an improvement on the 2-0 defeat at the start of this season :rolleyes:

The seethe over the way St Johnstone played second half is embarrassing. They efficiently closed out the game and got the three points. I can't see their fans caring about whether they enjoyed the spectacle because I bet they enjoyed the result.

If Chelsea or man united do it away in the league to say city or to a European team then their managers are hailed as master tacticians etc. When saints and Tommy Wright do it, they are crucified for anti football blah blah. Not one single fuck is given by this team or manager and they love noising opponents and their fans up. As TW said last night, the players were totally buzzing that another three points were collected on the road. Now to go hunting the sheep for third place.....

If we locate a spine and somehow grind out a 1-0 win at Pittodrie on Saturday, with Tomas Cerny taking 2 and a half minutes over every goal kick in the second half, I for one will not applaud as it besmirches the traditions of The Partick Thistle Style.

Fucking gimps man.

That facebook page is superb though, same folk calling St Johnstone all the anti-football hoofball dicks under then sun and saying we were too tippy tappy and need to be more direct.

10 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

It wasn't a criticism of St Johnstone, rather an observation that it's not entertaining and defeats the purpose of professional football. 

The purpose of professional football is to win matches   

The purpose of professional football is to win matches   

No, you're wrong. Every time we beat Partick we get told its better to lose while playing with "class"

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

With an attitude like that to winning,  it's no wonder that Partick Thistle are Glasgow's least successful side. 

Think you'll find that would be The Rangers

Good bants from the Perth boys. Defeats like that really bring the roasters in the north stand out. Personal favourite of the night was "Alan Archibald am gonnae shag yer wife" that plus the responses provided a good bit of humour on an otherwise dull half. 

45 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

If we locate a spine and somehow grind out a 1-0 win at Pittodrie on Saturday, with Tomas Cerny taking 2 and a half minutes over every goal kick in the second half, I for one will not applaud as it besmirches the traditions of The Partick Thistle Style.

Fucking gimps man.

That facebook page is superb though, same folk calling St Johnstone all the anti-football hoofball dicks under then sun and saying we were too tippy tappy and need to be more direct.

Absolutely this.

As the game wore on and the tears began to flow from the row behind me (they are complete and utter gimps), there were all kinds of shouts towards Tommy Wright and St Johnstone in general about how boring they were, how awful their style of play was, even how embarassed they should be.  Aye, they looked really embarassed picking up another three points while not playing even close to well.  We gifted them the first goal, and then they did exactly what they needed to do to win the game,  It was brutal to watch, but I 100% guarantee that had we been in that position and started going to the corner, they would be getting hailed as the heroes.  As others have said, Cerny can't help himself doing that most of the time anyway.

Not too many positives for us.  Right up to the first goal we were playing well and should've been ahead had it not been for a wonderful save.  Thought Keown looked very good, and until Booth shat himself we were defending really well.  Barton made a lot more mistakes than usual with his passing.  Erskine was absolutely woeful and looked like he had never seen his feet before.  

Archived