Partick Thistle v St. Johnstone - 1/2/17

I can't say I've been particularly entertained by Thistle in our last three league games. Even the wins over Dundee and Ross County around Christmas were dug out to a degree. Our performances at Firhill leave a lot to be desired this season, as the home league table bears out.

Last three games? The whole season has been an utter drag. Last season was meh but this has shat all over it in boredom terms.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Last three games? The whole season has been an utter drag. Last season was meh but this has shat all over it in boredom terms.

Yup, I was just thinking similar. The closest we've come to entertainment was the late show at McDiarmid Park, ironically. We've had some decent showings and results on the road, but entertainment? Nah, not really.

Not sure I'd agree, I think you're always going to be entertained by a side with Barton and Erskine in it, add Dumbuya and Booth on form and there's a lot to like there.

I don't really buy into the Erskine hasn't been doing anything of late, he created our best chance on Wednesday and we completely lost control of the game when he went off. The Doolan narrative is similarly strange, he had two very difficult headers which he did very well to force decent saves from their keeper, and one well struck shot a bit too close to their keeper. He's not a world beater but he's still by miles the best option we have. 

In fairness, the first half was reasonably entertaining. If the rest of the game had continued in the same vein, I would have gone home thinking I had seen a decent match even though Thistle had again lost despite being the better team...and again been surprised by St Johnstone's success when they don't seem to offer more than a dourly efficient side.

However, the second half was a masterclass by St Johnstone in crushing the last drop of life out of the game as an entertainment spectacle...the footballing equivalent of smashing a puppy over the head with a mallet, putting it in a bag weighed down with concrete and throwing it off a bridge into a fast-flowing river. From the City End of the Jackie Husband Stand, I'm not sure we saw the ball in the last 10 minutes as it was repeatedly forced out for a series of throw-ins on the far side of the park. The 4 minutes of additional time was literally spent within a 10 yard radius of the corner flag.

Thistle contributed nothing to the entertainment in the second half - inept individual performances & inexplicable substitutions & tactics. The two most talented footballers, Erskine & Swanson, had dreadful games and were substituted early on. St Johnstone picked up 3 points without having to trouble themselves to create a chance.

It was a dire occasion...nothing looked likely to happen in the second half...I had time to regret going to the game, decide against travelling to Perth for the Cup Game, dread the thought of a replay at Firhill & wonder about going to any more games - the last home League Game against Kilmarnock was also little more than an exhibition of head-tennis and throw-ins...I also had time to consider Trump's Immigration Policy, the Brexit Negotiations & to check the Dow Jones Index...all while waiting for the furthest St Johnstone player from the ball to trudge in slow motion to eventually take a throw in.

If the result is all that matters in Football, you can get that instantly online - there is no point in actually going to the game.

8 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

In fairness, the first half was reasonably entertaining. If the rest of the game had continued in the same vein, I would have gone home thinking I had seen a decent match even though Thistle had again lost despite being the better team...and again been surprised by St Johnstone's success when they don't seem to offer more than a dourly efficient side.

However, the second half was a masterclass by St Johnstone in crushing the last drop of life out of the game as an entertainment spectacle...the footballing equivalent of smashing a puppy over the head with a mallet, putting it in a bag weighed down with concrete and throwing it off a bridge into a fast-flowing river. From the City End of the Jackie Husband Stand, I'm not sure we saw the ball in the last 10 minutes as it was repeatedly forced out for a series of throw-ins on the far side of the park. The 4 minutes of additional time was literally spent within a 10 yard radius of the corner flag.

Thistle contributed nothing to the entertainment in the second half - inept individual performances & inexplicable substitutions & tactics. The two most talented footballers, Erskine & Swanson, had dreadful games and were substituted early on. St Johnstone picked up 3 points without having to trouble themselves to create a chance.

It was a dire occasion...nothing looked likely to happen in the second half...I had time to regret going to the game, decide against travelling to Perth for the Cup Game, dread the thought of a replay at Firhill & wonder about going to any more games - the last home League Game against Kilmarnock was also little more than an exhibition of head-tennis and throw-ins...I also had time to consider Trump's Immigration Policy, the Brexit Negotiations & to check the Dow Jones Index...all while waiting for the furthest St Johnstone player from the ball to trudge in slow motion to eventually take a throw in.

If the result is all that matters in Football, you can get that instantly online - there is no point in actually going to the game.

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/what-speak-us-about/signs-you-may-be-struggling-cope/giving-yourself-strength?gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSrCPrPNd6UlyRNukNWR286z-MkEutPaJ-QHnA7gikJRoCa-zw_wcB

1 hour ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Aw diddums.. All you need is a nice wee cuddle and a cup of hot, sweet tea... Poor TB..

I see the St Johnstone bus driver was nearly killed during a horrific active shooter incident in Maryhill.

“We have had stones thrown in the past but no one with a gun, it is getting serious when firearms are used,” said Mr Docherty, 75.

The fact they only give the Victoria Cross to military personnel when a hero like this walks among us makes me sick.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I see the St Johnstone bus driver was nearly killed during a horrific active shooter incident in Maryhill.

The fact they only give the Victoria Cross to military personnel when a hero like this walks among us makes me sick.

I was on the bus. My head was only 6 inches from the point of impact, and I can tell ya, no way was it anything other than the standard roadside rock, used for millenia by wee shites to pan bus windae in.  As far as I was aware, Maryhills finest had felt some collars, all under the age of being arrested. The best line in the newspaper report was the quote

" I thought it was a stone but when I had a look I realised it was an air rifle or worse."   WTF does he mean by worse??? Sawnoff shotgun?  RPG?? Cruise Missile??

I see in all the comments, not one mention was given about  the danger the fans were in.  I am now in negotiations to purchase a BAZOOKA prior to the  cup game and perhaps a few hand grenades.

"DON'T PUSH ME"

rambo_400x400.jpg

The second life threatening incident for Saints fans visiting Firhill in the past few seasons.

Truly terrifying stuff, as the luck will run out eventually.

Not winning competitions does not count as an achievement, and participating in European qualifiers is not qualifying for Europe. None of these teams have accomplished anything that we haven't in our history.

Archived