Partick Thistle v St. Johnstone - 1/2/17

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

the second was what Saints are always liable to do.

Had a feeling at HT that was how things would end up going. It was 3/1 at HT for the game to finish 1-0 as well. Terrible decision to avoid it.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Cerny was absolutely flaming at the time wasting going on. His five minute stud clean before belting the ball out the pitch every time Hamilton were drawing with us had me literally frothing every time.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully Cerny was absolutely flaming at the time wasting going on. His five minute stud clean before belting the ball out the pitch every time Hamilton were drawing with us had me literally frothing every time.

Time wasting is genocide except when Partick Thistle do it, mate.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Timewasting is so ingrained in the mind of Tomas Cerny that he sometimes does it by accident even when we're losing. Like today, 1-0 down, nothing happening, still took the ball to the other side of the goal a few times.

Imagine the scenes if he played for Saints.

35 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Why did you quote my post? Genuinely interested.

No idea it automatically came up when I kept clicking the reply button to the thread and I moved off, back onto the thread and the same thing kept happening - but otherwise it wasn't meant to be responding to that particular post

It wasn't a criticism of St Johnstone, rather an observation that it's not entertaining and defeats the purpose of professional football. I've criticised us for doing the corner thing before. There are other, just as effective, ways to close out games that don't involve 4-5ths of the stadium being completely unable to see the ball for almost 10 minutes.
I don't blame them for doing it; unlike us they don't f**k it up. It's not what's I pay to watch though.

Dry yer eyes

First half I was certain Thistle would score. They got in behind us and created quite a few openings and looked far sharper than we did.

But when you're on top and fail to score that's what happens. Not sure what Tommy did or said at half time, but it worked. Or what Alan did or said?

Said to my pal sitting beside me that there was no way we could keep the ball in the corner for the whole 4 minutes of time added on.

The free kick almost at the six yard box which was backheeled to the corner flag and kept there (again) was genius and as hilarious as the sending off.

In the end it was a great struggle, but we overcame.

I'm not overly disheartened, as there clearly wasn't much between the sides on the night. Besides the goal the only other clear-cut chance of the game went to us when Edwards headed wide of an empty net, and we forced their 'keeper into two or three decent saves. Other than one imbecilic defensive error we defended well enough, and Keown looks a definite upgrade on Devine which was the most pressing concern for us going into the January window.

In the second half though our distribution of the ball was that of a team who were 1-0 down with 5 minutes rather than 45 minutes left - the direct approach was almost always the first choice pass. While you can argue that they were poor anyway, this was a pointless tactical approach that rendered all of Lawless, Edwards and Doolan useless.

The sooner Dumbuya is back the better, as I genuinely feel he is our best attacking asset for games like this. His tendency to take the ball inside once he crosses the halfway line opens up a genuine threat through the middle, as opposed to rolling the ball wide to one-dimensional haddies like Elliott, who whack a low hit-and-hoper into the first man repeatedly.

Hopefully we get baws deep into the one that matters in a couple of weeks.

Archived