Dear Auntie Pie & Uncle Bov...

For those personal problems that you can't ask people you know for advice, but end up having it aired anonymously in a national newspaper you can use this thread as an alternative.

I'll go first. I remember taking my oldest boy to his first game in 2004 a 3-0 thumping of Motherwell. He was only two years old and I felt emotional about the moment, just as the game kicked off. I admit I had tear in my eye.

Anyway, roll on nearly 13 years and my boy has just broken some traumatic news to me. He didn't even prepare me for what he was about to tell me.

He doesn't like football, and doesn't want to go anymore. He says he's never liked it. It's like he's been living a lie for all these seasons.

Advice please?

34 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

For those personal problems that you can't ask people you know for advice, but end up having it aired anonymously in a national newspaper you can use this thread as an alternative.

I'll go first. I remember taking my oldest boy to his first game in 2004 a 3-0 thumping of Motherwell. He was only two years old and I felt emotional about the moment, just as the game kicked off. I admit I had tear in my eye.

Anyway, roll on nearly 13 years and my boy has just broken some traumatic news to me. He didn't even prepare me for what he was about to tell me.

He doesn't like football, and doesn't want to go anymore. He says he's never liked it. It's like he's been living a lie for all these seasons.

Advice please?

Do any of us actually enjoy football? It's fucking shite.

29 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Advice please?

Let him go. You've ruined him. That 3-0 game was when we had all the beach balls etc wasn't it? When you've seen Derek Young score a goal then run around in a giant sombrero you know football is only going to be a disappointment after that. 

My first game was against Brechin at East End in front of a few hundred miserable souls. It was only going to be onwards and upwards from there. 

Now is your chance to do something else with your son. Maybe find a new pastime you can enjoy together? 

31 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Advice please?

Seriously?  Tell him it's OK, it's his choice and he shouldn't feel bad about it.  And don't keep bringing it up unless he does.

44 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Advice please?

Get his genes tested.

3 minutes ago, LiamDFC said:

Do any of us actually enjoy football? It's fucking shite.

I concur. 

All these years I've paid good money just to experience nervousness, anger, palpitations, sore throats, sit in freezing temperatures, pay ridiculous money to eat abattoir floor scrapings in burnt pastry and ultimately, disappointment. 

We must be mental.

I don't really like football anymore either, I won't ever watch on TV and Locke is making it hard to watch us, good luck to the lad get him onto something more exciting. 

Let him go. You've ruined him. That 3-0 game was when we had all the beach balls etc wasn't it? When you've seen Derek Young score a goal then run around in a giant sombrero you know football is only going to be a disappointment after that. 
My first game was against Brechin at East End in front of a few hundred miserable souls. It was only going to be onwards and upwards from there. 
Now is your chance to do something else with your son. Maybe find a new pastime you can enjoy together? 

Yes, I think it was a mistake having him attend at peak Par. He seemed quite enthusiastic about being a match mascot in 2011.

Already have a number of pastimes although there's one that he does and I don't. That'd be his karate where he takes his grading for black belt next. I ain't taking that up now as I'd get my ass kicked!

Anyway, my other boy loves the fitba (unless he has immense acting ability).

1 hour ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Advice please?

Isn't it pretty normal for kids that age to go through things like this? It's not always 'cool' to be hanging about with your folks when you're a teenager. 

He'll surely drift back to it at a later age. Let the lad wonder the world until the emptiness grows inside him to unbearable levels and he has to admit to himself that the only thing that can fill it is seeing the mighty, mighty Pars.

Either that or move house one day and don't tell him.

Archived