Uefa nations league

Bambino7

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I get the impression that literally nobody is taking winning this tournament seriously at all. 

England, who are bigging it up as a Euros equivalent in the media, aside, obviously. 

Literally no-one is doing that.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

22 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Literally no-one is doing that.

As someone who's sits and watches SSN, I disagree. 

Guest Moomintroll
As someone who's sits and watches SSN, I disagree. 
To be fair, with the odd exception, the papers aren't really going down that route. They are seeing it more as a chance to win something competitive that will give the team confidence for the Euros but they certainly aren't going OTT about it. A lot of people, Martin Samuel especially, have been particularly scathing about the pointless 3rd place play off. SSN are going overboard though to fill airtime & I am sick of looking at the spivs stupid face.

Must admit I've caught snippets of 'first major tournament win since 66' and 'will show English football's dominance hot on the heels of the two Euro Finals' but generally it seems to have been second fiddle to the women's world cup until the last couple of days.

Guest Moomintroll
Must admit I've caught snippets of 'first major tournament win since 66' and 'will show English football's dominance hot on the heels of the two Euro Finals' but generally it seems to have been second fiddle to the women's world cup until the last couple of days.
From what I have been reading it seems to have been CWC>WWC>NL, up until yesterday but even that seemed fairly balanced by the usual standards with some good writing around the other teams involved. Even Jo Konta's exploits have been getting a decent amount of attention in comparison.

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Hypothetically, if you were to swap Ronaldo and Messi's nationalities, would Ronaldo have won the World Cup with Argentina? Would Messi have won the Euros with Portugal?

Hypothetically, f**k knows. 

Guest Moomintroll

I think@ali_91 was on to something here up until that last last sentence. It is a matter of opinion but I will always have Messi ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo as best player. In terms of being the most effective player, however, especially in important games I would lean towards Ronaldo, they are two very distinct things & I cannot formulate an argument against his influence in games that really matter.

36 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Hypothetically, if you were to swap Ronaldo and Messi's nationalities, would Ronaldo have won the World Cup with Argentina? Would Messi have won the Euros with Portugal?

Yes to both IMO, as Ronaldo wouldn't have been posted completely missing in the 2014 WC Final. 

Guest Moomintroll
You have to remember Messi has been in 4 international finals compared to Ronaldo’s 2. I find it hard to believe Ronaldo wouldn’t have won at least 1, but probably more, of those 4 finals that Messi didn’t.

I know it’s a team game, but Messi performances in international finals have been shocking.
I believe that Messi is still overall a better footballer, Ronaldo still does more in International terms but seems slightly less influential in decisive domestic games. If i was backing someone to to dominate a domestic game then I would pick Messi. If I want to win a semifinal internationally then Ronaldo will come through but neither of the two have ever really saw it through if you discount Ronaldos Chewin the Fat sketch tribute. Bottom line is that they both have slightly differing abilities & mental aptitudes, it probably isn't fair to try & split them. f**k ever trying to deal with them in the same team however.

As someone said on here a couple of years ago - Messi can do it all he wants against Getafe and Magaluf United, but when it comes to the big stage, there's only one man who does the business year upon year.

Guest Moomintroll
As someone said on here a couple of years ago - Messi can do it all he wants against Getafe and Magaluf United, but when it comes to the big stage, there's only one man who does the business year upon year.
He actually doesn't though, he gets them there & someone else does the job at the end. Over the last few years Bale & Casemiro have arguably been as important in Finals, like I said at the start, I still maintain that Ronaldo is arguably more effective but that does not mean he is bettrr overall. Quite disrespectful of other teams in La Liga to call them Magaluf Utd, sure Sevilla will be happy with that.

Guest Moomintroll
In pretty much every important knock-out game for almost 10 years it's been shocking 1 CL win since 2011 is a dreadful record for the alleged best player of all time.

The people that think Messi is the best player in the world will probably think Neymar or Hazard are the next best players, and after them whoever at that point happens to be the best dribbler in the world will also be the best player in the world. These people are fucking thickos.
Hazarding, (no pun indended) a comment here, but generalising people's opinions thus may well indicate some intolerance on your part & will cast aspertions on your claim that Estragon is the fud. In summation, stop accusing other people of being fucking thickos when you express such a half baked theory yourself.

Guest Moomintroll
Stop telling me what to do MATE
Not really sure at which point I told you what to do there, well done on finding your Caps Lock key btw.

Guest Moomintroll
Not really sure at which point I told you what to do there, well done on finding your Caps Lock key btw.
Except, of course, at the point I told you what to do..

Guest Moomintroll

"stop accusing other people of being fucking thickos when you express such a half baked theory yourself."

There you go MATE.
Beat you to it thankfully, I still maintain that Messi is a better footballer overall but Cristiano Ronaldo is able to contribute more, & be more effective when he is playing in games where he feels he is the difference. Does that make him better, doubtfully. Does that make Messi a flat track bully, probably. Does that make Ronaldo only want to perform when it matters most & not be a team player, possibly. It does suggest that Ronaldo is more effective when it comes to it, but week in, week out Messi is a fantastic footballer.
PS, what did Estragon do to piss you off so much? I am.intrigued.