Uefa nations league

Bambino7

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Not watching this game but apparently Portugal should have had a penalty and that Willie Collum missed it?

It could probably be argued it was obstruction and therefore an indirect free kick but he gave nothing at all. Bizarre decision to wave play on.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

52 minutes ago, xj2011 said:

not sure contact always = direct free kick... for example, obstruction involves contact but never a direct free kick

The laws of the game state "If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick". It couldn't be any clearer than that.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I saw that Bonucci and Chiellini were on the bench. Italy not taking this seriously then?

I was in Italy last week, the people I spoke to at least are very much taking this seriously. They have not won a competitive game in 2018 and would find relegation inexcusable. They were looking at this competition as fresh hope after missing out on the party in the summer. Serious doubts over Mancini though 

Have to say despite being extremely sceptical when it was first announced, I think it’s brilliant.

- Reduces friendlies which everyone can agree are absolutely shite

- Gives fooball fans some great competitive games to watch from Tier A instead of the usual big team drubbing wee team as in the normal qualifiers 

- Gives middling Nations like us the chance to play teams on our level to have a great chance at qualifying for a tournament

- Gives an absolute diddy the chance to make it to a finals, meaning they actually for the first time in history have a purpose rather than just turning up to be pumped 5-0 every game (playing other teams their level has made for some really good games already)

It’s great, and I can’t think why anyone wouldn’t like it other than simply not understanding it yet.

6 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Beginning to quite like this concept, a few strange placements ie Netherlands in group A but should work itself out and I like that it gives some smaller nations a chance at qualifying.

Tbh, I'd rather have seen us (The Netherlands) in group B. This group can be an embarrassment with France & Germany as opponents. If there is one country Germany would be keen to proof against they can still play good football...

Games for us in B would have been more interesting IMO.

Guest DAVIDB69
Some interesting scores so far.
Iceland 0-2 Belgium 
Spain 3-0 Croatia (almost won that group already)
Northern Ireland 2-0 Israel (in a friendly)

England v Croatia games look a play off to avoid drop to b section

26 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Whoa!  Just checking the scores and Spain now lead the Word Cup finalists 6 - 0!!!

They absolutely eviscerated what seemed to be a strong Croatia side. A midfield of Rakitic, Modric and Kovacic, and Croatia could barely get out their own half. Could easily have ended in double figure but for some last ditch tackles, cracking saves and bad decisions.

This new, more direct, Spain side look genuinely exciting, they've mixed the ability to pass the ball under heavy pressure with pace in attack and a willingness to hit the channels. Isco and Asensio are surely right up their with M'Bappe in terms of potential, Asensios ability to consistently melt a ball into the goal from thirty yards is mental.