TRNSMT Festival

Ira Gaines

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cure haven't played in Scotland for a very long time? Late 80s? Can't see them playing.

A step in the right direction. A non-camping festival with acts that made TITP what it was back in the day. Can only be a success...surely.

But they don't ever tour in Scotland. Don't think a new festival is going to change anything tbqhwy. Would love to be proved wrong, because they're one of my favourite bands. 

According to the Record, Biffy are doing the Sunday and Kasabian the Saturday. Which would tell me their sources aren't as good at DF as they used to be since Kasabian are a UK festival exclusive at Reading and Leeds. Either that or it was a total guess.

Liam Gallagher somewhere on the lineup too.

They were an England and Wales exclusive and always billed as that.

EDIT: Worth noting that Melvin Benn kept on calling them a "festival exclusive" along with a few other bands that played that year. Folk just assumed he meant UK festival exclusive.

EDIT 2: Seems only one lot actually sold it as a UK exclusive. Everyone else was rightly skeptical.

But they don't ever tour in Scotland. Don't think a new festival is going to change anything tbqhwy. Would love to be proved wrong, because they're one of my favourite bands. 

They've been touring with The Twilight Sad for the last year...perhaps their decision (if true) has been influenced by them.

If The Cure play, then I'll definitely be going for that day. Probably would mean that The Twilight Sad would be on that bill as well. Saw them twice last year and both times they were excellent. Can't really see it myself.

Knowing DF, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until when the Ed Sheeran tickets sell out (if they haven't already) before announcing him as one of the headliners.

7 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Biffy and Kasabian would be unbelievably predictable. Thought I heard this was being aimed at an older crowd?

“It’s obviously been inspired by the success of Radio 1’s Big Weekend – but won’t be as young a crowd as that, or have the pop or dance acts. It looks like the idea is maybe to pull on the heartstrings of the older T crowd, people who loved it at Balado and could be tempted back. That sort of crowd has no interest in camping out in a field – they want to get a taxi home or stay in a nice hotel. That’s what this festival will bring and it looks like it should be a huge success.”

That was a quote from a source in the NME back in November. It would be awful for them to go with Biffy Clyro, Kasabian, Noel Gallagher et al. Very boring and predictable. I can't see it, though. I think there's going to be real change with this festival. Radiohead look dead-certs. Hopefully they push the boat out with the other two. 

I'm interested to see if there's going to be more than one stage.

I'd say Biffy Clyro is a good bet with them not being exclusive at DL and Glasto not deeming them big enough to headline. It's the other headliner that seems to be a mystery. Foo Fighters would be my guess, and I'd be happy with that three.

Stereophonics subbing is a guess as DF do like their Phonics and they're about. Hoping for Alt-J to take one of them spots as well. Them into Radiohead would be excellent.

Announcement at 19.45 tonight on their Facebook, but they've got a live video with hints on it. The dead certs from that seem to be Radiohead, The 1975 and Catfish and the Bottlemen. Pretty sure about Biffy Clyro and Ocean Colour Scene. Kanye West and Foo Fighters COULD be hints but not sure. And George Ezra seems to be on there. I think there's a clue with a lot of lower bill lyrics on them.

If I had to guess, I'd say the top three are Radiohead, Kanye West and Biffy Clyro.

EDIT: Radio 1 have an announcement at 19.45. Facebook at that time or very shortly after.

Archived