Inverness Caledonian v Partick: Thistles do nicely

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Inverness will have been delighted to have gained a point from that match.

Richie confirming that and that two players Warren and Tansey playing suffering from a vomiting bug. Poor game so I heard.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

Foran on the radio has just said exactly that, not acknowledging Caley are in a relegation battle. Gives me that bit more hope for us. He sounded totally out his depth.

A lot depends on the new signings and whether he has chosen wisely. There is no mistake its all very well signing players who might do the job for us in the future but we need players who can impact and lift the team right now.

3 hours ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Willie Miller is waxing lyrical about how unremittingly shite this game is.

Every week it's the same from us, don't bother wasting my Saturday afternoons watching ICT anymore, worst team since Craig Brewster was in charge.

1 hour ago, Highland No 1 said:

Every week it's the same from us, don't bother wasting my Saturday afternoons watching ICT anymore, worst team since Craig Brewster was in charge.

You really don't understand being a football fan, do you?

35 minutes ago, Highland No 1 said:

Oh I know that time is precious, and watching ICT is 2 hours I won't see again

Nothing against ICT in general but they are fucking rubbish this season.

2 hours ago, Highland No 1 said:

Oh I know that time is precious, and watching ICT is 2 hours I won't see again

So you'll watch your team when they're half decent, but f**k them if they're playing shite. Were you at Hampden enjoying the cup win?

Goodness me! Highland Number 1. Have you any idea how tough it is to support Partick Thistle? I have watched them when they were rank rotten and I will continue to watch them if they become rank rotten again.

Hopefully, that is a long way off.

Top six, for a moment or two, feels a tad better than bottom. What? A month or so ago?

You've got to have some belief in your team, even when there are no grounds for it. Frankly, that has been my entire time supporting PTFC, except for that league cup final... For most supporters of teams outwith the Old Firm, you've got to have that attitude, or just give up completely. Sadly, too many do..

You have an amazingly good club up there. It is great to away supporters, I recall being welcomed into your supporters club and fed. Though no-one told me it wasn't next to the ground! Rushing to get in, I couldn't find my ticket - which I did have - I was waved through by your 'security' or just all round good guy.

You have a lot to be proud of in supporting ICT. They are a good club and deserve your support.

On the positive side, that was a good point and it's a clean sheet. On the other hand we were dreadful and Partick should be disappointed they didn't take all three points.

We started with a different shape, 4-4-2 with Doumbaya and Anier up front and a midfield of Cole, Tansey, Draper and Polworth. I can see the logic in that line up, narrowing the midfield, try to get width from the full backs and a partnership up front with one powerful and one pacy forward. The problem was that Doumbaya simply had no idea what he was doing, a shockingly bad performance from him. He has no idea what runs to make, where to go in the pitch, how to link with Anier. It was embarrassing to be honest and, after a tactical change which put Doumbaya on his own front, Vigurs was subbed in for Doumbaya before half time. We then reshuffled to have Draper playing pushed up, Vigurs and Tansey deeper with Anier in his own up front and Polworth and Cole wider.

While all this was going on, Partick were far more threatening and used the ball well - Azeez was denied by Fon Williams from a couple of yards out, a shocking miss really. Fon Williams had another couple of great saves in the first half.

Clearly with all these changes we had zero fluency, I don't think we put together a decent passage of play once in the entire game. We hit long balls for Anier to chase or contest and got nothing out of it really. For most of the game we didn't look as though we knew where out players were supposed to be, we didn't have any decent outlets, we didn't look like we had any plans for attacking the opposition or getting the ball to dangerous areas. The only time we looked threatening was when we subbed on Aaron Doran, who had a couple of opportunities including one shot from the edge of the area that inched past. Its puzzling that Doran was dropped after being one of our best players last week and he will surely have played himself into contention for the Accies game.

It comes back to what I said earlier in the season - it's as if we just throw players into the team without really thinking about what we want them to do. We change players in the midfield all the time, we don't have any thought about what we're wanting to do. Liam Polworth had his position moved repeatedly yesterday, right to left to right. No wonder the guy hit some misplaced passes. Larnell Cole was one of our best players recently and he was moved about and then subbed off. Mulreany came on and had a couple of successful moments against their full back but his passing and crossing is poor. He can be a valuable player but needs to smarten up and learn to play properly.

Anier didn't really do much but he had little service. We hit balls up to him and he tried but looked more interested in trying to win a foul than anything else. He got away once and looked to have been fouled but nothing was given.

Defensively we kept a clean sheet but we've got OFW to thanks for that, some very poor use of the ball around our own box and organisational failures were on display, especially in the first half. Apparently Gary Warren had been ill during the week which may explain that.

The game in midweek is massive and it's hard to see from that performance how we can win. Hopefully it comes together but I'm saying that more in hope than expectation.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

While all this was going on, Partick were far more threatening and used the ball well - Azeez was denied by Fon Williams from a couple of yards out, a shocking miss really. Fon Williams had another couple of great saves in the first half.

Never. I refuse to believe it.

I haven't seen the highlights of the game yet and couldn't really tell from the far end if it was a bad miss from Azeez or a great save from the keeper.

What drives me nuts though is how often a Thistle player will have a clear sight of goal, put in a decent looking shot, but will often smack it straight

at the goalkeeper who will make an easy save every time. We need to show more guile, do the unexpected sometimes, and work the keepers more.

I'm still hoping Ade Azeez will come good as his work rate, ball retaining and positional sense are pretty decent, although I think he's another

who needs to show a bit more craft in front of goal. All in all though I reckon the Jags are being shaped into a pretty decent team by Archie.

On the positive side, that was a good point and it's a clean sheet. On the other hand we were dreadful and Partick should be disappointed they didn't take all three points.

We started with a different shape, 4-4-2 with Doumbaya and Anier up front and a midfield of Cole, Tansey, Draper and Polworth. I can see the logic in that line up, narrowing the midfield, try to get width from the full backs and a partnership up front with one powerful and one pacy forward. The problem was that Doumbaya simply had no idea what he was doing, a shockingly bad performance from him. He has no idea what runs to make, where to go in the pitch, how to link with Anier. It was embarrassing to be honest and, after a tactical change which put Doumbaya on his own front, Vigurs was subbed in for Doumbaya before half time. We then reshuffled to have Draper playing pushed up, Vigurs and Tansey deeper with Anier in his own up front and Polworth and Cole wider.

Clearly with all these changes we had zero fluency, I don't think we put together a decent passage of play once in the entire game. We hit long balls for Anier to chase or contest and got nothing out of it really. For most of the game we didn't look as though we knew where out players were supposed to be, we didn't have any decent outlets, we didn't look like we had any plans for attacking the opposition or getting the ball to dangerous areas. The only time we looked threatening was when we subbed on Aaron Doran, who had a couple of opportunities including one shot from the edge of the area that inched past. Its puzzling that Doran was dropped after being one of our best players last week and he will surely have played himself into contention for the Accies game.

It comes back to what I said earlier in the season - it's as if we just throw players into the team without really thinking about what we want them to do. We change players in the midfield all the time, we don't have any thought about what we're wanting to do. Liam Polworth had his position moved repeatedly yesterday, right to left to right. No wonder the guy hit some misplaced passes. Larnell Cole was one of our best players recently and he was moved about and then subbed off. Mulreany came on and had a couple of successful moments against their full back but his passing and crossing is poor. He can be a valuable player but needs to smarten up and learn to play properly.

Anier didn't really do much but he had little service. We hit balls up to him and he tried but looked more interested in trying to win a foul than anything else. He got away once and looked to have been fouled but nothing was given.

Defensively we kept a clean sheet but we've got OFW to thanks for that, some very poor use of the ball around our own box and organisational failures were on display, especially in the first half. Apparently Gary Warren had been ill during the week which may explain that.

The game in midweek is massive and it's hard to see from that performance how we can win. Hopefully it comes together but I'm saying that more in hope than expectation.

Nothing here I would disagree with: in fact I would suggest it is an extremely honest and balanced summary of a game that will certainly not live long in the memory.

Archived