NHS Crisis? What Crisis?

The_Kincardine

3 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

If you can't bring takeaways in, and I'm not sure you can't, then they can stop you if you need to pay.

I don't have any figures but I would imagine food is a very very small % of NHS budget.

Would probably cost more to enforce such a system than giving out free dinners?

3 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

I don't have any figures but I would imagine food is a very very small % of NHS budget.

Would probably cost more to enforce such a system than giving out free dinners?

The biggest worry I would have about a stay in a hospital would be the food.  That's not a joke, I could probably put up with most things but I'd find shit food off putting.  Mind you if I was suffering from something terminal it may put the food into perspective.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The biggest worry I would have about a stay in a hospital would be the food.  That's not a joke, I could probably put up with most things but I'd find shit food off putting.  Mind you if I was suffering from something terminal it may put the food into perspective.

I was in a few years ago for about 10 days. Food was ok but if you got a good main course the pudding was shit and vice versa.

The soup was usually ok

9 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

I was in a few years ago for about 10 days. Food was ok but if you got a good main course the pudding was shit and vice versa.

The soup was usually ok

Ten weeks of surviving on soup would probably improve my health regardless of any other reasons for a hospital stay.

5 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

The soup was usually ok

When I got my operation last July tae remove a cancerous tumour from my head (day surgery) I took a funny turn that night.
I was in hospital for 24 hours observation and the food was little and no very good.
I believe the food was cooked elsewhere and delivered to the hospital.
Admittedly the state I was in I wasnae hungry anyway.
After 24 hours they discovered I was allergic to codeine which they had given me for the pain.

Only been in hospital once in my life and received fantastic care. I had to have an emergency c-section after my wee girl decided not to cooperate in labour. I lost 4 pints of blood during the operation. The doctors and midwives were excellent, especially as they were so busy that weekend. I was in hospital for one week overall.

The food was okay, but paying for it, nah. This was served to me the first night :lol:

received_10211812938179360.jpeg

I found my maternity care to be pretty good especially when things went wrong after delivery of my third.

mental health services are utterly dire. Not enough appropriate or adequately trained staff. Huge waiting lists for psychological services. My psychiatrist has a 4 month wait for review apts as he has no other spaces. Thankfully I have very patient and good GP's and I pay to see a psychologist as and when as I need continuity. Not a new face each time I attend whom I have to brief about my 16 yr history.

It has its faults but it's still better than a service seeking profit.

My experience of the NHS is good and the food was good too. I had Leukemia and had to go in for chemo and blood transfusions chemo every month and blood transfusions every fortnight as my body couldn't produce red blood cells and the soup was tremendous. The nurses were brilliant very attentive and seemed to genuinely give a toss about their work and the patients. The NHS is one thing we should be proud of and deserves greater financial support.

5 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

My experience of the NHS is good and the food was good too. I had Leukemia and had to go in for chemo and blood transfusions chemo every month and blood transfusions every fortnight as my body couldn't produce red blood cells and the soup was tremendous. The nurses were brilliant very attentive and seemed to genuinely give a toss about their work and the patients. The NHS is one thing we should be proud of and deserves greater financial support.

"...my body couldn't produce red blood cells and the soup was tremendous."  This must be my favourite line from P&B ever.

In summer '95, my mother had a brain aneurysm. Firstly, she was in Dundee Royal Infimary. At that time, my workplace was in Strathmore Avenue, so not very far away.

DRI nursing staff were upfront - they said that the food was brought in from elsewhere (Ninewells?) and that it wouldn't feed a churchmouse. Was advised that I would be better to bring something in every evening and that we could either eat together in the ward or outside in the gardens.

As a result, I either brought something to work & reheated it in the microwave before heading to DRI at 5pm or got an Indian/Chinese carryout for us to to share. I didn't object to this, but it got much harder to provide one decent meal a day for her when she was transferred to Astley Ainslie in Edinburgh. As a result, she regularly 'escaped' and headed to the Canny Man's for beer/fags/food. They would serve her and phone the hospital to come and pick her up!

Not sure what this proves, apart from the facts that 1) The NHS staff are honest about the minor failings of the system, 2) They will turn a blind eye when circumstances apply & 3) The staff at the Canny Man are lovely people

The NHS is an utterly vast and complex organisation. I'm not sure a handful of anecdotes either way are really up to the job of a serious assessment of it's performance.

Of course but it's nice to know that at least some people have positive experience of the NHS despite what the media would have you believe.

I was very lucky.  I won the postcode lottery in that the chemo drug I got had only been approved in Scotland and not England and Wales. It is a drug called Rituximab that specifically targets Leukemik cells NICE didn't find it cost effective over the border but NHS Scotland did. I would have been on a 3 year relapse cycle with old medication just general chemo drugs and probably needed a stem cell transplant but I am now 6 years in remission and my blood results get better with every check up. 

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I was very lucky.  I won the postcode lottery in that the chemo drug I got had only been approved in Scotland and not England and Wales. It is a drug called Rituximab that specifically targets Leukemik cells NICE didn't find it cost effective over the border but NHS Scotland did. I would have been on a 3 year relapse cycle with old medication just general chemo drugs and probably needed a stem cell transplant but I am now 6 years in remission and my blood results get better with every check up. 

Well done you :thumsup2

My only disappointment with the NHS (excellent experience otherwise) was when my Dad broke his shoulder and nowhere in Inverness had a bed free. There's a community hospital a few hundred yards away that would have been perfect. Not their fault, but he had to go to a village hospital about 40 miles away. Not that bad again, but the staff seemed to have no idea how to look after a very old man with dementia, which is surprising given all the bed blocking you hear about. They didn't know that they had to show him a few times where the toilet was so he could find it himself, instead they put him in a nappy and caged his bed so he wouldn't go wandering about. Of course he didn't have a clue what to do when he needed a pish so he pulled up the nappy and tried to pish over the side of the bed. It took him a week or so when he came home to stop being incontinent. All the staff were very kind and well meaning, and perhaps they didn't have enough time to deal with him properly, but I was surprised they seemed so inexperienced.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38853700

Out of all the four UK nations, hospitals in Scotland seem to have fared the best.

Weekly data shows four-hour performance in major units hovering around the 90% mark during January.

Much of the credit has been given to the way councils and the health service are working together.

Budgets have been pooled, encouraging a close working relationship to help get frail patients out of hospital by providing extra rehabilitation services in the community.