Celtic v St Johnstone 25/1/17

Thought the saints had a good first half unlucky with the one that came off the post looked in from were i was,from a Celtic point of view frustrating night for 70 minutes didn't think the ball was out of play for the disallowed goal in the first half ,second half much better quicker movement and play deserved the goal and should have got the second,for me it's time to drop dembele for Griffiths. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really good first half from Saints, quite positive with two upfront and we pressed Celtics defenders high up the pitch when they tried to play it out.

Second half we were crying out for a change Celtic were dominating so much. When Celtic scored Easton was stripped and waiting to come on.. we were possibly about to go 5 at the back.  Felt we'd maybe waited a bit too long to change things though.

Hit the post, and Ando's header wide and lob were all decent.. and great play from Swanson put Kane clean thru but he dithered so long that Boyata got back to block.  It looked really poor by Kane, but I haven't seen it back.

Have to say Kane gave us very little all night. Hardly won a header or held the ball up. The midfield and defence must have been well fed up with him and Swanson in the second half as nothing stuck and we were back under pressure immediately every time.  The double change after their goal bringing on Macca and Zippy at least brought a bit of life back into us going forwards.

Far more positives than negatives though. We were very well organised and fairly solid. Both full backs played well, centre backs did okay, as did Millar and Paton. And Clark pulled off a few good saves.

There will be a few tired legs after all the chasing we had to do in the second half, so would expect a few changes on Saturday.

And yes, we're still crying out for another striker!

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Paton misplacing a pass out of play. Commentator: "couldn't have happened to a nicer man." Pathetic :lol: hope Paton equalises for #tears.

To be fair Paul Paton is an utter fucking reptile of an individual, many non Celtic fans have said likewise.

Just saying eh..

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Why do Celtic fans hate Paton?

He's a horrible little runt of a guy who spends most of his time trying to end peoples career, add to that his part in the Lukasz Zaluska city centre scrap a few years ago then its not difficult to loathe the wee c**t.

Why do Celtic fans hate Paton?

He comes across as an absolute c**t of a man every time I have seen him play. I thought that would be obvious to fans of other clubs.

His assault on Zaluska likely didn't help our opinion of him either

Edit: have not seen the game other than very brief highlights but been told he was booked for a rash challenge/kick on Tierney which wasn't the only bad tackle by a saints player tonight

I thought that our first-half performance was excellent, balancing attack and defence in a very shrewd and disciplined manner. We lacked that balance in the second-half, sacrificing our attacking threat. We defended extremely well for the most part (with a special mention for Zander who put in a very good performance). But Celtic's dominance was always likely to break us down at some point. I don't know whether it was due to tiredness or tactical instructions, but we gave them too much respect as the match wore on. Unsurprisingly, we began to look like more of an attacking threat as soon as we'd conceded.

Other thoughts:

Celtic are looking a little bit rusty after the winter break, but their quality isn't in doubt. Still, I think we definitely have a shot of taking something from our upcoming encounter at McDiarmid Park.

Paul Paton was fine until Celtic scored, but he isn't the sort of player you want in your team when you're needing to get up the pitch and score a goal.

From where I was sitting, Celtic's disallowed 'goal' probably should have counted. Shortly after that, the linesman failed to flag Scott Sinclair when he was miles offside. We probably should have had a penalty. The officials had a poor night.

I had potential winnings of £650 if Danny Swanson scored the first goal and we won 1-0. I was close to tears when he hit the post.

7 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

He's a horrible little runt of a guy who spends most of his time trying to end peoples career, add to that his part in the Lukasz Zaluska city centre scrap a few years ago then its not difficult to loathe the wee c**t.

7 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

He comes across as an absolute c**t of a man every time I have seen him play. I thought that would be obvious to fans of other clubs.

His assault on Zaluska likely didn't help our opinion of him either

Edit: have not seen the game other than very brief highlights but been told he was booked for a rash challenge/kick on Tierney which wasn't the only bad tackle by a saints player tonight

You mean when zaluska got a sore face for acting like a drunken bigoted tit :lol:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-celtic-goalkeeper-lukasz-zaluska-6715335

You mean when zaluska got a sore face for acting like a drunken bigoted tit [emoji38]

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-celtic-goalkeeper-lukasz-zaluska-6715335

http://jdoleman.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/hma-vs-paul-paton-afternoon-report.html?m=1

The version I'd be more inclined to believe from Matt McGlone.

Mark Wilson is a liar. f**k him

Looks like we should've had a penalty, yet again. One of those that would be given at the opposite end.

The only one I can think of was a possible pull at the back end of the box in the second half? I'm in the north east corner right behind it and it was never a penalty! In saying that I've not seen highlights yet so basing that on the actual moment and it wasn't a pen for me

The only one I can think of was a possible pull at the back end of the box in the second half? I'm in the north east corner right behind it and it was never a penalty! In saying that I've not seen highlights yet so basing that on the actual moment and it wasn't a pen for me

It's the one where Brown blatantly pulls, then pushes, Anderson at the back post.

Thought the first half was a decent game. Celtic had most of it but St Johnstone were fairly well organised and offered a good threat on the break. Both sides could have had a couple. The disallowed goal was a tight one, hard to tell if it was in or out when Forrest hit the cross.

Second half for the most part St Johnstone didn't come back out. Not sure if that was down to Celtic upping the tempo or St Johnstone deciding to try and sit on for the draw. Whatever the case, up until the Celtic goal they offered nothing going forward of any note.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looks like we should've had a penalty, yet again. One of those that would be given at the opposite end.

Think the penalty would have been harsh. There were a couple of similar challenges on Dembele and nothing was given there either. That linesman also disallowed the Sinclair header in the first half, which if he had been leaning towards a home win would have been very easy to give.

Craig Gordon was lucky not to get sent off. He got booked for going mental at the ref, then kept going. All the home fans were booing and as the Saints corner came in the ref managed to conjure up a Celtic free kick to take all the pressure off himself.

It was shitebag refereeing of the highest order.

I also didn't think the ball had gone out for the disallowed goal, though i felt Saints players had stopped by the time the move was finished. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

didn't think it was a penalty at the match and after watching the highlights on the SPFL website still don't,interesting that was highlighted and the disallowed goal wasn't still don't think the ball was out of play,maybe it was foul on Clark because he ended up in the goal injured strange it's not on the highlights.

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

didn't think it was a penalty at the match and after watching the highlights on the SPFL website still don't,interesting that was highlighted and the disallowed goal wasn't still don't think the ball was out of play,maybe it was foul on Clark because he ended up in the goal injured strange it's not on the highlights.

Anyone but Celtic imo.

Archived