Celtic v St Johnstone 25/1/17

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Promising position breaks down because Cummins was offside.
Diddy.

To be fair, Kane didn't offer much more. I like both of them as players and they both provide something to the squad but we desperately need a better option outside Maclean upfront. I'd suggest we might have taken something from tonight if we had a Sandaza/May type in the final third.

They ball didn't stick at all in the second half until we made the double substitution. Fairly happy with the performance though. On the whole competed very well and plenty positives moving onto Saturday. Tierney is some player btw. Surely he won't be at Celtic long

I'm not trying to troll St Johnstone fans because Tommy Wright is undeniably a fantastic manager. Does he have an eye for a striker though? You've been relying on a broken down Steven MacLean for a few seasons now. Chris Kane has never really made the breakthrough he initially promised to do, Graham Cummins is rather average and having checked Wiki to see if there was anyone I'd missed - I take it Coulson hasn't made an impact?

Without any disrespect, St Johnstone have built one of the best 'steady eddie' sides Scottish football has seen. Never having a quality that is striking, but always a cohesive unit. I know it's easy to have a pop at Dundee considering Marcus Haber is our top man and we are hardly goal getters ourselves (Although as many of you acknowledged, Haber is a different player to the one St Johnstone had). It's just a genuine question - other than Stevie May - Tommy Wright has seemed to strike poorly when it comes to forward men.

Thought we did alright in the first half but a real slog after the break and agree with the above that the ball not sticking was a real problem. Not a good night for Chris Kane.

On the positive, we defended pretty well and can we begin to say that Millar is over his injury troubles? As always at Celtic Park, his composure on the ball stood out amongst what was often panic.

Celtic were decent in fairness to them and agree with the earlier poster about the threat Tierney poses.

As much as I love Millar, I don't think we'll ever be in a position to say he's over his injury troubles. Would imagine he will swap out for Davidson on Saturday. What Millar brings to our team is so important though and keeping him fit will be vital to us finishing top 6, IMO.

Fairly sure that MacLean, statistically, is one of the deadliest strikers in the country over the past three years. I gb he gets a shot off inside the box, he generally seems to score. "Broken down" is the opposite of what I'd use to describe him tbh, he's actually having the best few seasons of his career.

Obviously TW does struggle to get a striker, although both Cummins and Kane are good enough to rotate in and out at this level. Fallon, Iwelumo, Morgan, Sutton and Gormley is a bad list to have. I'd be surprised if we never signed a striker this window anyway tbh, even if it's a loan until the summer.

Archived