P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

15 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

A couple of months ago I made a nest box and put it up on the back of the house, but I didn't see any interest in it apart from one blue tit having a look just after I mounted it. Sitting out in the sun today I noticed tits coming and going from it, so happily it looks like there are young in the box.

Tit.thumb.JPG.5302453bd0b55e2b96f97037b07d2fff.JPG

If ever a post merited a Kenneth Williams response, then this is it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/06/2023 at 22:12, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Didn't get a picture so you'll have to believe me but there were two bullfinches on my walk tonight.

Never seen one before so had to look up what they were.

It's not the best picture but Mr and Mrs are fairly regular visitors.

20230520_173612.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My very cheap phone with sporadic internet connection (3G out on the Cornish coast) doesn't help me out here, but there's a pair of swallows with five newly-hatched offspring in my other shed, the annoying thing is I am in the middle of clearing everything out so that's on hold for another couple of weeks. 

Also I think a Spitfire [Edit: wrong species according to the internet]  might have just gone over about seven minutes ago, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight over Falmouth was cancelled today but this thing was flying over Looe in a north-easterly direction around 5pm in case anyone has one of those flight path link things.  

Edited by IncomingExile

• 2 weeks later...

Consensus on the Scottish bird and wildlife photography group I posted this on is so far 3-1 in favour of this being a tree sparrow rather than a house sparrow. Would be a new one for my garden but I'm not convinced (it almost seems like a mix of the two species).

What think the bird people of P&B.

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

6 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Consensus on the Scottish bird and wildlife photography group I posted this on is so far 3-1 in favour of this being a tree sparrow rather than a house sparrow. Would be a new one for my garden but I'm not convinced (it almost seems like a mix of the two species).

What think the bird people of P&B.

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

Definitely a Tree sparrow.

Tree sparrow has a brown hat, house sparrow has a grey hat.

16 hours ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

Definitely a Tree sparrow.

Tree sparrow has a brown hat, house sparrow has a grey hat.

These wee guys do actually have a really weak grey hat compared to the house sparrows but not the solid brown of a tree sparrow or the bold grey of a house sparrow. Consensus now seems to be that they're hybrids so have e-mailed the BTO to get their take.

Sitting out the back here and between the starlings, sparrows, blackbirds and my own two budgies it sound like a feckin pet shop.

There are two baby blackbords right now who seem to be just hopping around the ground the last few days. Eating my strawberries and being fed red holly berries of the dad.  Great fun to watch. I wondered where my strawbs were going.

20230707_162001.jpg

On 10/07/2023 at 20:44, Soapy FFC said:

Not a particularly exotic picture, but I saw 2 wood pigeons sitting on a roof in the pouring rain, cuddling into each other, and thought it was quite touching.

IMG_3879.thumb.JPG.fb385b5716819fcd61ef7bcf074b7f1a.JPG

We've got 4 or 5 living in the big tree in our garden. Not sure if they live in pairs, but we often see 2 of them snuggling like that or sometimes having a scrap (probably a couple then...).

20230711_183509.thumb.jpg.16ccd4b0d5fb301960ec951130bccfb8.jpg

20230711_183440.thumb.jpg.c9f38ba431506110a78cead1a2414f20.jpg

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

We've got 4 or 5 living in the big tree in our garden. Not sure if they live in pairs, but we often see 2 of them snuggling like that or sometimes having a scrap (probably a couple then...).

20230711_183509.thumb.jpg.16ccd4b0d5fb301960ec951130bccfb8.jpg

20230711_183440.thumb.jpg.c9f38ba431506110a78cead1a2414f20.jpg

We have lots of them in the area. I don't mind them as they tend to, as you say, stay in pairs. I hate the feral pigeons with a passion though. They come in a flock of, at times, 20 or more and devour every bit of food that is lying about. I hate them.