P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Carnage/drama in the garden today, been watching some kind of thrush for the past few weeks, eating the white berries off next doors rowan tree, it's slightly bigger than a blackbird/brown /speckled breast, quite aggresive. Quite rare?

Will be either a redwing or a fieldfare - winter visitors to our gardens. Both species are common winter migrants but are a rare breeding species in the UK.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Will be either a redwing or a fieldfare - winter visitors to our gardens. Both species are common winter migrants but are a rare breeding species in the UK.

Cheers, done a bit of googling, think it was a mistle thrush.

RIP.

14 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Get that the hawk has to eat, but think that was maybe a rare bird, (anybody know) only really seen that one.

Thank you.

Yes I don't think hawks cook their food.

Edited by thisal

12 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Cheers, done a bit of googling, think it was a mistle thrush.

RIP.

Appreciate you've said you think mistle thrush but have a wee gander here if that helps at all? 

On 16/12/2022 at 13:14, Soapy FFC said:

The cold snap, and now snow, has brought the birds back to the garden in force. There was a Pied Wagtail (I think) bobbing about, which is the first time I can recall one being in the garden.

1070098976_Piedwagtail.thumb.JPG.69760d75e71d90e456758cd3b8cc42de.JPG

Under normal circumstances you'd be more likely to see them on open grassland - and car parks, which they seem to love - but cold weather can bring them into closer contact with humans and they can be surprisingly confiding..

During that long freeze in 2010 or whenever it was, there was one that would turn up on the window ledge of my city centre office block most days and wait for me to feed it...wouldn't let me hand feed it, but flitted a couple of windows down until I'd put the food out. Seemed to like tiny bits of canteen roll & sausage.

Edited by Hillonearth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I was intending doing the Garden Bird Watch today, but it's windy and there are hardly any birds about. The same thing happened last year, normally lots of birds until I decide to count them then they all hide.

I wonder if anyone's survey has ever gone "Robin..blackbird... SPARROWHAWK...ah stuff it..."

13 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

It's a couple of years ago, but I was 'lucky' enough to watch the sparrowhawk catch a starling in the garden one day. This is one of the good action shots.

Sparrowhawk.thumb.JPG.ce21dc826d41a80ebc73a4bad88420e4.JPG

Had the pleasure once of, while walking to my car, seeing a squirrel pelting across the lot, and jumping up into my wheel well to avoid the hawk that was swooping in from behind him. The hawk flew off to perch on a light stand, and the squirrel, on top of my tyre, would poke his head out every 10-15 seconds to see if he was still there. The hawk gave up after a couple of minutes and the squirrel made it to his tree shortly thereafter,