P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Did you actually? Man they are pretty rare, and hard to see. Only ever seen them once when I was with people who knew where and how to spot them.

They appear now and again in our local park in winter apparently. but I've yet to see one there.

Best place to see them in the whole country are the grounds of Scone Palace - they're really elusive, so even then you're not guaranteed to actually see one, although chances are you'll hear them.

In other finch-related news, recently had siskins in the garden for the first time

We've got feeders, but once filled they normally don't survive contact with the local magpie population for long. They were flitting about some bushes just outside the kitchen window one of the frosty mornings last week - our garden backs onto woodland, so I assume they've been hanging about there.

They appear now and again in our local park in winter apparently. but I've yet to see one there.
Best place to see them in the whole country are the grounds of Scone Palace - they're really elusive, so even then you're not guaranteed to actually see one, although chances are you'll hear them.
In other finch-related news, recently had siskins in the garden for the first time

Yes Scone Palace was where I saw them. They were in the canopy of the trees, very high up. Apparently winter time is the best time to see them because there are no leaves. I remember watching them through a telescope.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We had a tiny little Goldcrest here for a few days earlier in the winter but the local bully boys (sparrows and robins) appeared to chase him off.

Saw a Goldcrest out by Mid Calder on Hogmanay. Took our total for the year to 90 species. Could have been a lot more, but we're bad at gulls and only count a species if we're sure.

I'd garrotte a Goldeneye to see a Hawfinch.

43 minutes ago, sugna said:

Saw a Goldcrest out by Mid Calder on Hogmanay. Took our total for the year to 90 species. Could have been a lot more, but we're bad at gulls and only count a species if we're sure.

I'd garrotte a Goldeneye to see a Hawfinch.

I always think the person who was worst at gulls was whoever gave some of them their British names - off the top of my head, the black-headed gull doesn't have a black head, the lesser black-backed gull doesn't have a black back, the common gull isn't particularly common and the herring gull doesn't have any preference for fish.

And guess where the Iceland gull doesn't breed.

Anyone seen anything exciting of late? I've been hoping for the Waxwings to return to Perth but I haven't seen/heard anything about them. Very sad.

Is there any British species that anyone's really keen to tick off their list? I still haven't seen a Golden Eagle and a Capercaillie. Going to have to make a trip north at some point to see those ones.

Loch Erne's only about 30 miles from Perth, Golden Eagle and Osprey![emoji6]

On 2/14/2017 at 10:30, jamamafegan said:

Anyone seen anything exciting of late? I've been hoping for the Waxwings to return to Perth but I haven't seen/heard anything about them. Very sad.

Is there any British species that anyone's really keen to tick off their list? I still haven't seen a Golden Eagle and a Capercaillie. Going to have to make a trip north at some point to see those ones.

I saw a golden eagle just as we were leaving the Trossachs to head back via Callendar after walking the dog.  

There's a wee car park at the foot of the logging track at Bochastle (just past the Lade Inn - Google Street View) and were just about to pull out when I spotted a bird quartering backwards and forwards across the slope in front of us (the north end of the Glen Finglas trail).  It was only about six feet off the ground so at at first I thought it was a female hen harrier but I got the trusty monocular out and the thing was huge.  Then the sun caught it and there was no doubt - my first, up-close eagle.

On 16/02/2017 at 21:12, The DA said:

I saw a golden eagle just as we were leaving the Trossachs to head back via Callendar after walking the dog.  

There's a wee car park at the foot of the logging track at Bochastle (just past the Lade Inn - Google Street View) and were just about to pull out when I spotted a bird quartering backwards and forwards across the slope in front of us (the north end of the Glen Finglas trail).  It was only about six feet off the ground so at at first I thought it was a female hen harrier but I got the trusty monocular out and the thing was huge.  Then the sun caught it and there was no doubt - my first, up-close eagle.

The village I stay in when I go to Lewis. Sometimes you can go there for a week and see nowt, not even buzzards. Other times it's wall to wall eagles.

IMG_7349.thumb.jpg.15fba94fe570f0823f47713de5d9f936.jpg

20 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

The village I stay in when I go to Lewis. Sometimes you can go there for a week and see nowt, not even buzzards. Other times it's wall to wall eagles.

IMG_7349.thumb.jpg.15fba94fe570f0823f47713de5d9f936.jpg

That's a bird with attitude.  Obviously, Scotland's national bird - it's lifting a fucking caber for god's sake

I was walking back along the Doune trail with the dog and there were three red kites and two buzzards circling above me.  One of the kites whooshed past me no more than 20 metres away.  What a country we live in.

Edited by The DA

On a related note, last time I holidayed on Mull, there used to be a White-tailed eagle that sat on a pole between Tobermory and Salen (A84).  Every time we drove south, it would be sitting there, surveying its domain.

Does anyone know if it's still there?  Apparently, they live up to 25 years so mebbees...

39 minutes ago, The DA said:

I was walking back along the Doune trail with the dog and there were three red kites and two buzzards circling above me.  One of the kites whooshed past me no more than 20 metres away.  What a country we live in.

It's something I miss since moving from Deeside.  'Here' you may see some dead foxes, badgers or muntjacs on the back roads as opposed to 'there' where it was always a thrill to see some living wildlife when you took the weans for a walk.  We do, though, have an abundance of red kites and they look magnificent soaring overhead.  They do seem to be the lazy b*****ds of the raptor world...certainly where we are...and it's common to see them raking through bins or eating roadkill.

I never saw a when I lived 'up there' but they seem hard wee b*****ds:

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's something I miss since moving from Deeside.  'Here' you may see some dead foxes, badgers or deer or muntjacs on the back roads as opposed to 'there' where it was always a thrill to see some living wildlife when you took the weans for a walk.  We do, though, have an abundance of red kites and they look magnificent soaring overhead.  They do seem to be the lazy b*****ds of the raptor world...certainly where we are...and it's common to see them raking through bins or eating roadkill.

I never saw a when I lived 'up there' but they seem hard wee b*****ds:

Wuss. Why didn't he kick it in the pie?