P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

No pictures but saw (and heard!) a corncrake in Valtos on Lewis yesterday. First time.

A great one to tick off as they’re seemingly such secretive birds. Heard then saw one (*presumably a Male) last summer at Njugals Water near Scalloway on Shetland.
*Read that it’s usually just the Male that will call out, either to attract a female or defend territory. Anyway he was off as soon as he was spotted.

5 hours ago, rollstar said:

I heard my first cuckoo of the year last Saturday, the 7th of May, while out on a hill in the north Highlands. It was going on all day but I didn't see it.

Heard one today at Loch Migdale!

4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

A great one to tick off as they’re seemingly such secretive birds. Heard then saw one (*presumably a Male) last summer at Njugals Water near Scalloway on Shetland.
*Read that it’s usually just the Male that will call out, either to attract a female or defend territory. Anyway he was off as soon as he was spotted.

It was a male I saw. There might have been a female in there with him, he was ducking his head up and down below the long grass, so I might have seen two, I’m not sure. I heard, then saw, another one at the Gearrannan blackhouse village.

There used to be lots of speugs in the garden when I was a lad 40 years ago. The neighbour would put out breadcrumbs for them and you'd see a lot. They declined in the 80s and 90s so it's nice to see them back.

Our little South Edinburgh suburb seems to have a good variety of birds now, which is heartening. I wish we had more song thrushes though as there's plenty of snails to eat .

On 23/05/2022 at 23:15, tamthebam said:

There used to be lots of speugs in the garden when I was a lad 40 years ago. The neighbour would put out breadcrumbs for them and you'd see a lot. They declined in the 80s and 90s so it's nice to see them back.

Our little South Edinburgh suburb seems to have a good variety of birds now, which is heartening. I wish we had more song thrushes though as there's plenty of snails to eat .

I've noticed both sparrows and starlings making a bit of a comeback - I've seen one pair of sparrows collecting nest material in the garden and there was a male investigating an old rone pipe the other day, however that's already occupied by the great tits that nest there every year.

There's still a good number of song thrushes about but certainly around my bit they seem to have made the collective decision not to be garden birds anymore. Our garden backs onto woodland, and while it's rare to see one in the garden itself you don't need to go far into the woods to both see and hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out for walk and spotted this bird grazing on an empty sports field. Was taken at max magnification on phone from around 75 minutes. My brother reckons an Oyster Catcher. I am inclined to agree. Any other ideas? Was very white wings and undercarriage when it flew away.

Thank you.

May be an image of bird and nature

Was out for walk and spotted this bird grazing on an empty sports field. Was taken at max magnification on phone from around 75 minutes. My brother reckons an Oyster Catcher. I am inclined to agree. Any other ideas? Was very white wings and undercarriage when it flew away.
Thank you.

285594335_10158854230237507_1416789200688276347_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=CpaNiowjhpIAX-_PZtq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8RsyeMOKyhjFLKbeI0rOOCK2kODCozBnVUQhZN2zhdmw&oe=629FEDE2

Can’t see it’s striking red/yellow eye and bill (also with a short yellow tip) in that shot, but it’s definitely an Oystercatcher.[emoji106]

3 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Usually invisible but sounding loud overhead, I finally caught one on the ground. A wee lark.

image.thumb.jpeg.1025d0c9b55b5cf746b9f565450f7327.jpeg

Lovely stuff. Saw plenty at Aberlady Bay the other day. There was a barnacle goose there which I thought was a tad unusual. I’m pretty sure I head a whitethroat but couldn’t see it. I visited Fowlsheugh today for the first time. Fantastic place, a bit like St Abbs. Usual array of kittiwake, fulmar, guillemot, razorbill, the odd gannet and a solitary puffin.

Edited by Enigma