P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

I did the Big Garden Birdwatch today, and whilst I had a good selection of birds, there was only a fraction of the numbers I normally see on a day to day basis. Not sure if it was the sparrowhawk hanging around early on, the cat that appeared later, or the wind starting to get up with the incoming storm. For instance, I saw 3 yellowhammers when I normally have at least a dozen. And not one goldfinch, when for months I've had at least 6 or 7.

42 minutes ago, philpy said:

Spent ages filling up the feeders today, and also putting suet block feeders out, along with some mealworm and fatballs  on the bird table. Only the regular visiting robin appeared briefly,  before 6 huge rooks took over and trashed the place 😂

😄We get Jackdaws doing that job. Had 11 in today near the end of my hour. Top visitor was the sparrow with a new record for me of 12.

32 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Big Rider said:
Anybody do the Big Garden Birdwatch this year? 
I got loads more sightings than usual which I put down to getting up earlier and providing more variety of feed. The storm on Saturday might have brought a few more birds out too.
Highlights this year were greenfinch, siskin, song thrush and bullfinch. 

I had siskins and long tailed tits which we haven't had before.

We had a bunch of long tailed tits last week. Never seen them in the garden before. Sadly they didn't turn up to be counted today.

Glad to see a greenfinch too as they have been decimated by a disease that's thought to be caught at dirty feeders.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Birds are ridiculously sensitive to anything they can inhale. We have parakeets in the living room and can't use scented candles, air freshener or non-stick pans. They have to go upstairs if we're doing any serious cleaning in winter so might well have been fumes of some description.

10 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Birds are ridiculously sensitive to anything they can inhale. We have parakeets in the living room and can't use scented candles, air freshener or non-stick pans. They have to go upstairs if we're doing any serious cleaning in winter so might well have been fumes of some description.

image.png.09e2554e0ed3c1940bc5031927adf029.png

I was up Corstorphine Hill last week and heard a woodpecker which was pretty surprising for me, though I now know they are frequently spotted there. Seen a few dippers on the Water of Leith in that time as well so Edinburgh is proving surprisingly fruitful for bird spotting having lived more rurally for the last few years.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

I was up Corstorphine Hill last week and heard a woodpecker which was pretty surprising for me, though I now know they are frequently spotted there. Seen a few dippers on the Water of Leith in that time as well so Edinburgh is proving surprisingly fruitful for bird spotting having lived more rurally for the last few years.

We do quite well for variety of birds here, perhaps thanks to folk putting out food for them. There's also a variety of habitats around Edinburgh- Duddingston Loch, Water of Leith, the sea, community woodlands, hills etc 

I was a bit surprised driving through Wester Hailes the other week and I saw a funny looking crow perched on top of a lamppost. Turned out to be a cormorant!

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We do quite well for variety of birds here, perhaps thanks to folk putting out food for them. There's also a variety of habitats around Edinburgh- Duddingston Loch, Water of Leith, the sea, community woodlands, hills etc 

I was a bit surprised driving through Wester Hailes the other week and I saw a funny looking crow perched on top of a lamppost. Turned out to be a cormorant!

You get all kinds of birds in wester hailes... (so I've been told)