P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

There's a chaffinch Been perched atop a telegraph pole just outside work for the last 3 days, chirping away like f**k incessantly, can I shoot the little fucker?? 

I've spent a lot of time in the country in my life and last week was the first time I had seen a Tree-creeper!

Cracking wee bird. Had one as a regular in trees around the farm yard. Could watch it for ages going up and down the trees.

I am so lucky where I live in rural Aberdeenshire...go down to the river every day just down from my house and usually see an Osprey fishing, ducks and their ducklings, moor hens, heron and some geese that never made it north in April (Greylag and Canada)  Then in my garden a huge variety of small birds at my feeders - past couple of days a couple young woodpeckers have fledged the nest and started eating paenuts.  My office desk is my kitchen table and looks directly at my feeders

Has anybody else noticed a lack of swallows, housemartins and swifts. Not seen a single one this year
I've had swifts out the back for a few weeks in leafy suburban East Dunbartonshire.

Seen hunners of swallows feeding on the Kelvin last week too.

I think they were a week or two later than usual though.

finally - nine months after moving in here (and following an equally barren year or so at the previous place) the local goldfinch population have realised that there is a sodding great pot of niger seeds out specifically for their delectation and delight, and are regularly stuffing themselves ! 

coincidence or otherwise, this has followed on smartly from ditching a second, useless 'proper' niger seed feeder and filling up a normal one with the things (and - after previous instances on here - having made sure that there was no plastic sleeve blocking the holes !); i reckon goldfinches have recently developed fatter beaks and are unable to push their pointy faces in to the tiny holes on the 'proper' feeders - they're probably american or something...

DSC_1889.thumb.JPG.dd133330b45f099643e206bede10308c.JPG

On 18/06/2020 at 18:12, Herman Hessian said:

finally - nine months after moving in here (and following an equally barren year or so at the previous place) the local goldfinch population have realised that there is a sodding great pot of niger seeds out specifically for their delectation and delight, and are regularly stuffing themselves ! 

coincidence or otherwise, this has followed on smartly from ditching a second, useless 'proper' niger seed feeder and filling up a normal one with the things (and - after previous instances on here - having made sure that there was no plastic sleeve blocking the holes !)

DSC_1889.thumb.JPG.dd133330b45f099643e206bede10308c.JPG

Which stupid c**t did that? :unsure2:

28 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

superb. never seen one in the flesh before.

I hadn't even heard one until I took a walk up past Rullion Green a few years ago and there was a right noisy one in some woods.

Penicuik takes its name from the Welsh for "hill of the cuckoo" so it was nice to have the name confirmed.