P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

7 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Not from my garden, as a first floor flat doesn't have one, but this is a Ptarmigan from last weekend being completely trolled by Scottish winter near the top of Cona'Mheall near Ullapool. 

32516694055_3af8936489.jpg

:lol: Is that a photo you took yourself, bud?

Just now, jupe1407 said:

Yeah, during a round of the Beinn Deargs. Saw quite a few Ptarmigan in full winter garb with absolutely no snow on the hills. The eagles will be pleased emoji23.png

It's a brilliant snap.  I guess the hare will have their snow jaikets on too?  That's something I miss moving from Aberdeenshire back 'down here'.

It's a brilliant snap.  I guess the hare will have their snow jaikets on too?  That's something I miss moving from Aberdeenshire back 'down here'.

Cheers. We were surprised we got that close. That was from only about 15-20 yards away!

We only saw one hare but that was further south the day before on Sgor Gaoith, just above Loch Einich. It was half white/half brown.

A fair smattering of snow today high up so the Ptarmigan might yet be alive [emoji23]

I've generally found Glenshee to be the best place for mountain hares. Hundreds of them on the hills around the ski centre

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I've generally found Glenshee to be the best place for mountain hares. Hundreds of them on the hills around the ski centre

Based on my wee yin's age it must be 13 years since we went to Glenshee.  My ex took the older two skiing and I put the wee yin in the back pack and walked up the hill opposite the ski centre. We (I) saw a good dozen hare and loads of tracks.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Based on my wee yin's age it must be 13 years since we went to Glenshee.  My ex took the older two skiing and I put the wee yin in the back pack and walked up the hill opposite the ski centre. We (I) saw a good dozen hare and loads of tracks.

That'll be Glas Maol up past the Meall Odhar tow, there's plenty on there. Perfect terrain for them. There's also a herd of 400+ deer that cut about there at certain times of year. My other half and I walked the eastern hills there a couple of years back and got back to the car in late evening just before sunset. There were hundreds of them wandering about the centre and car park :lol:  Pretty surreal.

On 1/27/2017 at 13:53, jamamafegan said:

The Waxwings arrived a while ago. I had them in my garden but annoyingly my camera was out of battery...

To my amazement, mine wasn't. That's the sort of stunt cameras like to pull when you get a good sighting. One of today's hundred or so Waxwings.

Smaller.jpg

There seems to be a problem with the RSPB site today and I can't load my results after my count this morning:

Jackdaws 10

Sparrow 9

Woodpigeon 4

Blackbird 3

Dunnock 2

Starling 2

Magpie 2

Blue Tit 2

Great Tit 1

Robin 1

Starlings spotted are down for me, usually at least 7. Sparrows are up from 4 or 5. Dunnocks are a new addition. The rest pretty much the same as the last couple of years.

16 minutes ago, The DA said:

How do you tell them apart from shags?

Cormorants are quite a bit bigger, obviously not much use unless side by side but with experience you can tell them apart by size.

Cormorants also have a clearly defined white throat patch. Shags will have a black throat or a grey white small throat patch.

If its inland its almost certain to be a cormorant as shags are exclusively coastal.

It really just comes down to experience of observing both birds and you get a feel for identifying them

Cormorants are quite a bit bigger, obviously not much use unless side by side but with experience you can tell them apart by size.
Cormorants also have a clearly defined white throat patch. Shags will have a black throat or a grey white small throat patch.
If its inland its almost certain to be a cormorant as shags are exclusively coastal.
It really just comes down to experience of observing both birds and you get a feel for identifying them

Thanks for that. They were spotted at Culzean Castle.

9 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Thanks for that. They were spotted at Culzean Castle.

That's pretty coastal, Wile.  There does seem to be a white throat patch on the one on the left but it's hard to tell.

ETA: this page is quite interesting.  Apparently, cormorants are now more common in Europe than at any time in the last 150 years.

Wonder what they taste like.  Fishy, I'd imagine.

Edited by The DA