P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

On 25/02/2023 at 11:04, KnightswoodBear said:

And springtime begins because either he, or one of his progeny are back tapping f**k out of every window in my house. 

Last year we had a thrush that spent hours everyday siting on the wing mirrors of the cars outside and 'attacking' it's reflection in the windows. The biggest problem was the crap it left on the car doors.

Thrush.thumb.JPG.3fb7525494101864525b9eb022ab6d40.JPG

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Wife is in Morocco with her pals. Sad I know but she sends me bird pics every day. A common Bulbul at breakfast this morning. Pretty sure it is, their guide was IDing for them

IMG-20230307-WA0000.jpg

Looks like it - north Africa's weird as it's just far enough from Europe that for the most part the birdlife has only changed subtly, so something like a bulbul that's quintessentially African is a good one to see.

I was in Tunisia a while back and just hanging about the hotel we had Spanish sparrows, spotless starlings, palm doves, serins, slender-billed gulls, ultramarine tits, desert shrikes and so on....everything seemed to have a direct equivalent to something at home. Managed to see Eleonora's falcon down at the ruins at Carthage as well.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Looks like it - north Africa's weird as it's just far enough from Europe that for the most part the birdlife has only changed subtly, so something like a bulbul that's quintessentially African is a good one to see.

I was in Tunisia a while back and just hanging about the hotel we had Spanish sparrows, spotless starlings, palm doves, serins, slender-billed gulls, ultramarine tits, desert shrikes and so on....everything seemed to have a direct equivalent to something at home. Managed to see Eleonora's falcon down at the ruins at Carthage as well.

I'd of liked to have gone for that very reason but the annual Cheltenham Festival trip is next week so the trade off had to be made. I'm relying on my wife deciding if something merits a pic for me or not. The Bulbul is the first she has sent that as you say is not easy to tick even just across the straights into Europe. Bound to have been a few more she didn't realise although she seems to have their guide on the case now albeit a bit late as she is home tomorrow. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2023 at 17:57, Eednud said:

A white backed magpie or Australian magpie in flight. This bird is on the state (South Australia) coat of arms and flag. 

FullSizeR.jpeg

I have a one-legged Magpie that lives in the tree in my back garden. Not sure how or when It lost its leg but It's well-fed and healthy looking. It also has a lovely nature.

044.jpg

Took this in the garden a while back. It appeared a few times. One of the days it hid behind a shed and hollowed out a pigeon. I never knew it was there and absolutely shat it when it managed to fly over the fence with pigeon carcass in its beak.

It flew into the neighbours garden and dropped it. Picked it up again and flew over the fence there and promptly dropped the hollowed bloody mess at the feet of the folk 2 doors along having lunch in their garden. The image of the wife running up the garden away from it will never leave me 😂

FB_IMG_1683181911307-01.jpeg

On 07/03/2023 at 08:17, tamthebam said:

A walk through the woods yesterday. 

Plenty of things twittering about in the trees but I'm a rubbish birdwatcher and all I saw was a blue tit and this great tit. 

coaltit2.jpg.c25e71bd55d624c6cf32f61691de0d84.jpg

coaltit.jpg.afe93b0f81ae6a49f839f6aad675a04e.jpg

Nice pair of tits

Every year since we've been here we've had a pair of (usually) blackcaps or (more rarely) garden warblers in the garden...never the two the same year for some reason. Was beginning to think this was the first year we'd drawn a blank until this morning when the male blackcap finally showed himself.

They're just skulking wee buggers to see.

9 hours ago, philpy said:

I heard a cuckoo up near threpmuir last weekend. Never saw it, but still cool as f**k to hear it.

I heard one near Rullion Green a few years ago. Appropriate as the name of Penicuik comes from the Welsh pen-y-cog or "hill of the cuckoo"

Noisy bassa it was too.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of months ago I made a nest box and put it up on the back of the house, but I didn't see any interest in it apart from one blue tit having a look just after I mounted it. Sitting out in the sun today I noticed tits coming and going from it, so happily it looks like there are young in the box.

Tit.thumb.JPG.5302453bd0b55e2b96f97037b07d2fff.JPG