P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

It's spooky how I've not seen a sparrowhawk in the garden for at least a year, then a few days after talking about them here I had this visitor today. It was sitting for about 15 minutes watching the bird feeding area until a large crow seemed to scare it off.

IMG_3556.thumb.JPG.0c7a8a5aa44202f525edc20f0f0b7301.JPG

Which poses a question - what bird doesn't take any shit off crows?

They harass buzzards, which are fairly big and I've seen red kites not take any crap from a crow but others on here have seen crows hassle red kites 

I haven't seen any crow v gull fights, I think they avoid each other. Are we therefore looking at something like a Golden Eagle? 

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

They harass buzzards, which are fairly big and I've seen red kites not take any crap from a crow but others on here have seen crows hassle red kites 

I haven't seen any crow v gull fights, I think they avoid each other. Are we therefore looking at something like a Golden Eagle? 

https://cabinetofcuriosities-greenfingers.blogspot.com/2015/09/crow-v-sparrowhawk.html

On 04/02/2023 at 09:37, Rizzo said:

The nuthatch (realised today that there is a pair of them) are yesterdays news. Been a while since I've seen my favourite in the garden but there was a few flitting about today.

+1 on the long-tailed tits.

Here's an unusual pose from the Borders.

received_1213268802635107.thumb.jpeg.d16848751f89a28fba5398eea7ea394e.jpeg

On 04/02/2023 at 09:37, Rizzo said:

The nuthatch (realised today that there is a pair of them) are yesterdays news. Been a while since I've seen my favourite in the garden but there was a few flitting about today.

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

LTTs are great fun to watch....I remember one frosty morning seeing a big load of them exiting a nest box we had set up where they'd obviously been sleeping....looked like one of those videos where you try to cram as many folk in a VW Beetle as possible....must have been 15 or 20 of them scrunched up in there for heat.

On 03/02/2023 at 17:52, tamthebam said:

Herons ?

OUAT I saw two , or three , crows trying to scare a heron away . The crows were very careful.

The heron eventually left but it might have been off its own accord

I'm not a birdwatcher by any means but I read this review of an HBO docufilm in the paper the other day and was intrigued........

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/feb/08/all-that-breathes-review-every-minute-of-this-oscar-nominated-documentary-is-gold-dust

........then last night, bugger me, it popped up on the Firestick and we watched it.......................wonderful piece of filmmaking.

Catch it if you can, TwitcherMassive of Pn'B........

ETA - Another review.....https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/feb/06/stricken-smog-oscar-tipped-delhis-bird-hospital-all-that-breathes

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

17 hours ago, philpy said:

Herons are cool as f**k. Here's one at haddington today. There was also a woodpecker drumming away, never saw it but could certainly hear it 😀 . I'll never tire of the sounds of nature. 

20230212_135312.jpg

Really bad for eating a whole nest of ducklings though so not all good.

I noticed feathers all over the garden this morning, and what looked like large blood stains. A quick look at the garden camera showed that the sparrowhawk was busy yesterday. Looks like one of the feral pigeons has been taken out. Hopefully the sparrowhawk works its way through the rest of them.

On 15/02/2023 at 16:54, Smurph said:

Excuse the poor photo but here’s a parakeet near Dawsholm Park in Glasgow

7881E660-3782-494C-B3B6-1F7CE5B4275E.thumb.jpeg.a534f203a7c36c95e8d58a6b9c1bb6ed.jpeg

Seems to be quite a few of them up that way - I've seen them at the Science Parks too. Probably won't be too long before they establish themselves throughout the leafier parts of suburbia like they have around London. They're already appearing here and there in the South Side and adjacent South Lanarkshire.

On 02/07/2021 at 12:35, KnightswoodBear said:

This poor wee c**t has decided that his reflection in the window is another Chaffinch and has literally spent hours battering off every window it fly's past. 

20210702_123307.jpg

20210702_123040.jpg

And springtime begins because either he, or one of his progeny are back tapping f**k out of every window in my house.