P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

• 4 weeks later...

Had a wander and ended up at the Kelvin before it flows through the Garscube Estate/ Glasgow University Sports grounds the other side of Maryhill Road. Spotted a heron and just managed to snap him flying away.

May be an image of body of water, nature and tree

My crow and magpie feeding programme had been going great. To the extent they'd become very trusting and don't fly away if I get close. However, I was feeding them yesterday and was interrupted by seagulls. I chased those b*****ds eventually, but I think I've spooked the others a bit.

How do you attract good birds but not shitey ones like gulls.

The pigeons seem to have taken the hint and know they aren't wanted.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My crow and magpie feeding programme had been going great. To the extent they'd become very trusting and don't fly away if I get close. However, I was feeding them yesterday and was interrupted by seagulls. I chased those b*****ds eventually, but I think I've spooked the others a bit.

How do you attract good birds but not shitey ones like gulls.

The pigeons seem to have taken the hint and know they aren't wanted.

More crows and magpies than gulls these day Sarge.

• 1 month later...

I was just out in the garden, just after 10pm and pitch black, when a collared dove fluttered down from the trees and landed in the garden. It sat beside the fence, roughly where there was a pile of feathers the other day. It didn't move when I approached it, only moving away when I touched it. It didn't seem to be too interested in flying back up into the trees. As there are several cats in our garden at night, I didn't want to leave it so I caught it in a blanket, and put it in a box in the garage with some food and water, with the intention of letting it out in the morning. Have I done the right thing?

5 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I was just out in the garden, just after 10pm and pitch black, when a collared dove fluttered down from the trees and landed in the garden. It sat beside the fence, roughly where there was a pile of feathers the other day. It didn't move when I approached it, only moving away when I touched it. It didn't seem to be too interested in flying back up into the trees. As there are several cats in our garden at night, I didn't want to leave it so I caught it in a blanket, and put it in a box in the garage with some food and water, with the intention of letting it out in the morning. Have I done the right thing?

Probably. There may be something wrong with it as it let you get so close as to touch it, that's not normal. See how it is in the morning

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There was a buzzard circling our street this morning - I only noticed it because of it "keening"

I'm a buzzard's flight from some green space but it's still odd to see one above a fairly urban area

Do you live somewhere on the Balmoral to Edinburgh route?

I know they're territorial buggers but every time I go into the garden I am carefully scrutinized by a robin.
It's not afraid and comes very close to me 

Got a couple in my garden that clearly think safety is to be found within two feet of my rabbit. Tbf, they are not wrong so far.

23 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I know they're territorial buggers but every time I go into the garden I am scrutinized by a robin.

It's not afraid and comes very close to me 

Do you have a relative that's passed away in the last ten years or so? Extensive research on Facebook tells me that it's most likely their reincarnation come to visit.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Do you have a relative that's passed away in the last ten years or so? Extensive research on Facebook tells me that it's most likely their reincarnation come to visit.

Can't be the old man- the robin is too energetic!