P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

I've got a pair of bullfinches coming in and out of my garden, we've been here four years and this is the first time we've had them. Absolutely beautiful, I'll try and snap them this week and put them up here.

This is a Song Thrush.
Differences are Mistle Thrush is larger and more greyer rather than brown in colour and has defined spots on its breast rather than the streaks of a song thrush.
If you see both regularly you will notice the differences and they are easy to tell apart

Good stuff, a few notes for the wee book we carry, when out walking with the binoculars[emoji106] thanks.

Isnt that really early?
I have been looking out for one of the pair I will typically see every day over the summer but nothing yet....saying that its been freezing and wouldnt be surprised if they fancied another couple of weeks in Africa.  Really hope they appear so as often the sight of them fishing on the river during one of my lunchtime walks is a highlight of the day.

Yep earliest yet. 8 days before last year’s first appearance.
Full record in the link below.
https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2022/03/lm12-has-arrived-back-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

26 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Yep earliest yet. 8 days before last year’s first appearance.
Full record in the link below.
https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2022/03/lm12-has-arrived-back-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

looked out my bedroom window on Saturday morning and saw one soaring overhead - nest is in woods less than a mile away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-61079397

Are they supposed to live without eating?
What about we just get rid of the sheep and we keep the eagles?

Glad I binned my SNP membership a few months back. What a fool.

The problem with the sheep crofters is that they haven’t explored every option to protect their livestock from eagles. While I’ve heard of some trying a few options many seem unwilling. I saw one guy say that sheep crofting is a “traditional way of life” that is done on a part-time, relaxed basis. Basically he was trying to suggest that eagle attack prevention methods would be too time consuming/not financially viable for the crofters. It’s a piss poor excuse.

Eagles are here to stay and crofters should learn to adapt to live alongside them. If they can’t afford to use prevention methods or invest the time into protecting their own stock into their “relaxed” way of life then perhaps they should ask themselves if they should be crofting at all. It’s already a subsidised practise - many of the crofters wouldn’t even be able to keep sheep if it weren’t for those subsidies. Sheep are also cause huge damage ecologically through grazing and the practise isn’t profitable anymore. It’s a waste of taxpayers money.

Anyway, rant over. Cull the sheep - long live the eagles.

Looks like a baby Blackbird though I'm not absolutely sure.

Have a wee look through the advice from the RSPB. It could be that one of the parents is nearby waiting for you to leave so I'd give it a bit of time by itself and then maybe give the SSPCA a call.

16 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Wee guy in my garden seems to be stuck on a step, keep running back and forth and has tried to fly up and failed a few times now. Chirping at me and everything. What do I do? 

20220418_163328.jpg

20220418_162657.jpg

Baby Blackbird - they quite often leave the nest before they're able to fly. Put it near some cover (a bush or whatever) - chances are the parents are nearby and give it half an hour or so...if it's still there after that take it in, 'cos a local cat will make short work of it if the parents have done a bunk.

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

Looks like a baby Blackbird though I'm not absolutely sure.

Have a wee look through the advice from the RSPB. It could be that one of the parents is nearby waiting for you to leave so I'd give it a bit of time by itself and then maybe give the SSPCA a call.

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

Baby Blackbird - they quite often leave the nest before they're able to fly. Put it near some cover (a bush or whatever) - chances are the parents are nearby and give it half an hour or so...if it's still there after that take it in, 'cos a local cat will make short work of it if the parents have done a bunk.

Cheers for advice guys. It's currently hiding under a garden stove thing I've got so I'll probably give it an hour and then give someone a call. Poor little guy looks terrified. 

Took my dog out for a walk and fed him, checked the garden and the wee guy was hidden under somewhere else, was trying to coax him into a box to leave him near a bush when an adult blackbird was oddly close with a worm in it's gub, thought that was strange coz the bird would usually just scran the worm straight away and then backed off and the blackbird went right down to where the other one was and presumably fed the bird and then flew away. 

Is this alright to leave for nature now? The small birds parents know where it is but at the same time he still seems stuck. 

20220418_175050.jpg

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

6 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Leave it. It has left the nest a day or two early but it will be alright if the parents are still feeding it

Aye just off the phone to the bird people, just concerned due to where it is in my garden that it might struggle to get out but sounds like it's a youngster when I thought it was an injured older bird so hopefully gains strength to get outta there. Will be on standby to Kurt Zouma any cats that I see in my garden in the meantime. 

I've no clue about birds to cheers for the help. 

3 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Took my dog out for a walk and fed him, checked the garden and the wee guy was hidden under somewhere else, was trying to coax him into a box to leave him near a bush when an adult blackbird was oddly close with a worm in it's gub, thought that was strange coz the bird would usually just scran the worm straight away and then backed off and the blackbird went right down to where the other one was and presumably fed the bird and then flew away. 

Is this alright to leave for nature now? The small birds parents know where it is but at the same time he still seems stuck. 

20220418_175050.jpg

Drop a slab on it.

3 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Aye just off the phone to the bird people, just concerned due to where it is in my garden that it might struggle to get out but sounds like it's a youngster when I thought it was an injured older bird so hopefully gains strength to get outta there. Will be on standby to Kurt Zouma any cats that I see in my garden in the meantime. 

I've no clue about birds to cheers for the help. 

Aye, a lot of songbird chicks will leave the nest that bit early...it seems counterintuitive, but as long as there's sufficient cover and the parents are still on the scene I suppose for predation reasons it makes sense for a whole brood not to be in the one place for longer than it needs to be.

I had one a couple of years ago when the neighbours came round to ask me about a baby magpie that was in their garden looking lost and abandoned...I went round to check it out and the minute I went to pick it up both parents appeared from nowhere completely losing their shit at me.

Rule of thumb is if it's fully feathered and seems to have parents around leave well alone unless it looks injured or is in imminent danger.