P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

My bird feeder has been strangely quiet for a few weeks, taking a lot longer than usual to be emptied.

Think I might have discovered the reason yesterday. Got home from the football and there was a sparrowhawk sitting on top of the fence in next door's driveway.

My bird feeder has been strangely quiet for a few weeks, taking a lot longer than usual to be emptied.

Think I might have discovered the reason yesterday. Got home from the football and there was a sparrowhawk sitting on top of the fence in next door's driveway.
Saw one in my garden last year take out a wood pigeon with extreme prejudice. Absolute killing machines.

Amongst the usual Blackbirds and Sparrows et al, we have a one legged Starling 'visiting' us. There's also a few Thrushes. 

The one legged Starling toerag seems to be coping pretty well, so good on him/her.

Not sure how many Thrushes or pairs there are? When I was a young loon they were pretty much birds you saw every day.

I'm gonna try to get a few photos but I'm pish poor with the camera/phone. 

Saw a kingfisher for the first time on the Water of Leith a few weeks ago. I felt particularly vindicated as I decided last minute to take a slightly longer route home via the river on the off chance I might see something interesting.

29 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Saw a kingfisher for the first time on the Water of Leith a few weeks ago. I felt particularly vindicated as I decided last minute to take a slightly longer route home via the river on the off chance I might see something interesting.

Whereabouts was this? I've still not seen one so I'm looking to find a good spot to go looking for one at some point.

One of the Thrushes we have visiting. The photo isn't great as it's taken behind glass, so apologies if it's a wee bit blurry.

IMG_20220407_135327.thumb.jpg.002976ffb3c53dce4f534bc676f6f479.jpg

Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush?? And if it’s clear to some posters, what’s the best way to tell between the two? Cheers

38 minutes ago, RiG said:

Whereabouts was this? I've still not seen one so I'm looking to find a good spot to go looking for one at some point.

From Gorgie Road, near the bridge that enters Saughton Park. Across the road from Luckies pub pretty much. Saw an otter in the same spot on Monday night too.

On 22/03/2022 at 07:32, Clockwork said:

LM12 back (arriving at 12.00 Noon on the 13th), for an 11th consecutive season!emoji106.png

Isnt that really early?

I have been looking out for one of the pair I will typically see every day over the summer but nothing yet....saying that its been freezing and wouldnt be surprised if they fancied another couple of weeks in Africa.  Really hope they appear so as often the sight of them fishing on the river during one of my lunchtime walks is a highlight of the day.

10 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush?? And if it’s clear to some posters, what’s the best way to tell between the two? Cheers

This is a Song Thrush.

Differences are Mistle Thrush is larger and more greyer rather than brown in colour and has defined spots on its breast rather than the streaks of a song thrush.

If you see both regularly you will notice the differences and they are easy to tell apart