P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

8 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Cormorant at Lithgae this time last year. No allowed to travel that far right now, shame as I've been looking forward to catching the Great Crested Grebes.

JB7D8893.thumb.jpeg.e362cdf9f5ff5275164c1225a739cedd.jpeg

Saw one of these fly past me along the River Don at Dyce last week  (~3 miles inland).  Not quite where I expected to see one, even though there's plenty of them further down the coast around Stonehaven.  Very impressive in flight.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Saw one of these fly past me along the River Don at Dyce last week  (~3 miles inland).  Not quite where I expected to see one, even though there's plenty of them further down the coast around Stonehaven.  Very impressive in flight.

Saw one fly over Balmore Road at Lambhill. Assumed it didn't know the Chip Stop was now a bookies

Saw one fly over Balmore Road at Lambhill. Assumed it didn't know the Chip Stop was now a bookies
They are rife out my way in Kirky, a few well stocked lochs, the canal and the Kelvin are obvious hunting grounds.

A Grey Wagtail down the River Esk a couple of days ago. Expected to see a Dipper on the shitey boulder and waited about an hour and a half but you can't have everything...

EOSR1341.thumb.jpg.d3d20d104b948d946351e3d55055f728.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

18 hours ago, The Mantis said:

A Grey Wagtail down the River Esk a couple of days ago. Expected to see a Dipper on the shitey boulder and waited about an hour and a half but you can't have everything...

River Almond yesterday, and Spring was very much in the air. All sorts of pairings-up going on, including: goldcrests, song thrushes, robins, mallards, goosanders, red-breasted mergansers, goldeneyes, dabchicks, grey wagtails....

... oh, and dippers. Which led to me taking my favourite dipper photo so far.

1626116935_118A2280(2).thumb.JPG.cf1571d6a21b6e1b4ae845d313c8eda4.JPG

Mating Dippers Cropped.jpg

35 minutes ago, sugna said:

River Almond yesterday, and Spring was very much in the air. All sorts of pairings-up going on, including: goldcrests, song thrushes, robins, mallards, goosanders, red-breasted mergansers, goldeneyes, dabchicks, grey wagtails....

... oh, and dippers. Which led to me taking my favourite dipper photo so far.

1626116935_118A2280(2).thumb.JPG.cf1571d6a21b6e1b4ae845d313c8eda4.JPG

Mating Dippers Cropped.jpg

Excellent stuff. Got some hot Mallard action at Musselburgh today 😂 plus a square go between a Mallard male and a female Goosander.

34 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Excellent stuff. Got some hot Mallard action at Musselburgh today 😂 plus a square go between a Mallard male and a female Goosander.

The mallards were at it on the Almond, too. The drakes are not generous lovers.

We saw an interesting encounter between the 4 goldeneyes (2 pairs) and the drake merganser: it almost looked as thought the merganser was going to abandon his mate to join up with the goldeneyes, as the mergansers swam upstream past them. I like to think they were fooled by the drake goldeneyes' colour scheme.

11 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I think the mods will be moving this to NSFW.

😄

I deleted something like "Mods, you can move this to NSFW" before posting the dipper photos!

Even the less explicit birds were gearing up for the mating season, though. Some great plumage and great singing.

Saw a kingfisher at saughton park today, but the little bugger didn't stop on the two occasions. Same happened at haddington last Sunday, so heading Down early doors tommorow. Hopefully third time lucky.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Saw a kingfisher at saughton park today, but the little bugger didn't stop on the two occasions. Same happened at haddington last Sunday, so heading Down early doors tommorow. Hopefully third time lucky.

Crossing from East Lothian into Edinburgh eh.... :whistle 

They're fast buggers are Kingfishers so good luck 

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Crossing from East Lothian into Edinburgh eh.... :whistle 

They're fast buggers are Kingfishers so good luck the 

The wife was getting her covid vaccine at the EICC, so when In Rome...

2 hours ago, philpy said:

I've see one a couple of times on the Tweed but absolutely no chance of getting a photo of it even if I used the fastest shutter speed on the camera I'd still be struggling. No chance of seeing where it went to either 

25 minutes ago, stanton said:

I've see one a couple of times on the Tweed but absolutely no chance of getting a photo of it even if I used the fastest shutter speed on the camera I'd still be struggling. No chance of seeing where it went to either 

They're usually quite predictable though and happy to sit on an overhanging branch for ages. Once you scout out the likely spots on a river bank you just need to hang around for a bit. A couple of years ago there was one at Peebles near the swimming pool and you could rely on it. I went down one afternoon from Midlothian and got good shots. There's one on a pond near me and I got some reasonable shots last week as there's really only one tree it can use.
In flight? That's another ball game 😂

Edited by The Mantis