P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

It's a goosander, not a (red-breasted) merganser.

Confusingly, in the US a goosander is called a merganser, or possibly a common merganser.

Here's my best drake merganser photie, taken just last week.

118A1316.thumb.JPG.ce3325f894f1e8237199bf2e973ff56e.JPG

... and the slightly less striking red-head, from the same outing:

118A1327.thumb.JPG.fb911dc34413af5d1897be1c4df60143.JPG

2 minutes ago, sugna said:

It's a goosander, not a (red-breasted) merganser.

Confusingly, in the US a goosander is called a merganser, or possibly a common merganser.

Here's my best drake merganser photie, taken just last week.

118A1316.thumb.JPG.ce3325f894f1e8237199bf2e973ff56e.JPG

... and the slightly less striking red-head, from the same outing:

118A1327.thumb.JPG.fb911dc34413af5d1897be1c4df60143.JPG

That actually highlights what I was going to say - the original photo is a female goosander, with the clearly defined white throat and generally less scruffy appearance than the female RBM which always look a bit more bedraggled to me :)

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

That actually highlights what I was going to say - the original photo is a female goosander, with the clearly defined white throat and generally less scruffy appearance than the female RBM which always look a bit more bedraggled to me :)

Yes, the lack of neatness is (I think) the second biggest indicator of (RB) merganser-ness.

The biggest clue is usually that they're not usually on rivers, compared to goosanders.

In the case of those photos, I was explaining that point to my non-birding companion: "That's a 'sawbill' called a 'goosander'; from a distance it looks like a related species, but.... wait a minute, those birds are a bit scruffy..."

I have had a very similar experience teaching my niece and nephew about tufties, only to clock that the bird we were looking at (12 feet away!) wasn't one.

The most noticeable thing for me is that in the Merganser, the beak is thinner and tilts slightly upwards. You can see this even at a distance. The Goosander’s bill has a definite downward hook on the end.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, sugna said:

Yes, the lack of neatness is (I think) the second biggest indicator of (RB) merganser-ness.

The biggest clue is usually that they're not usually on rivers, compared to goosanders.

In the case of those photos, I was explaining that point to my non-birding companion: "That's a 'sawbill' called a 'goosander'; from a distance it looks like a related species, but.... wait a minute, those birds are a bit scruffy..."

I have had a very similar experience teaching my niece and nephew about tufties, only to clock that the bird we were looking at (12 feet away!) wasn't one.

Goldeneyes look a bit like tufties but (obviously) they don't have the tuft 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Goldeneyes look a bit like tufties but (obviously) they don't have the tuft 

I'll look out a photo I took at the time, and invite guesses.

I'm becoming a convert to duck goldeneyes. Same big heid shape, and golden eye, but subtler plumage.

54 minutes ago, sugna said:

I'll look out a photo I took at the time, and invite guesses.

I'm becoming a convert to duck goldeneyes. Same big heid shape, and golden eye, but subtler plumage.

There were loads up at Hiogganfield last week when I went up to see the Iceland Gull - the males were in full display mode doing that weird head-bobbing thing they do...they're quite indiscriminate though, as one of them was trying to interest the female Smew that's been there all winter into some inter-species lovin'...

4 hours ago, sugna said:

... teaching my niece and nephew about tufties, only to clock that the bird we were looking at (12 feet away!) wasn't one.

Found it. When it's in the middle of other tufties, it looks enough like a tuftie to get away with it for a minute or so. Head shape (inc. nae-tuft) and bill are quite different, of course.

30704138_10156559935119734_2209891700359299072_o.thumb.jpg.30d8ef1139dad2a3a853c2b6f427f3c2.jpg

1 hour ago, sugna said:

Found it. When it's in the middle of other tufties, it looks enough like a tuftie to get away with it for a minute or so. Head shape (inc. nae-tuft) and bill are quite different, of course.

30704138_10156559935119734_2209891700359299072_o.thumb.jpg.30d8ef1139dad2a3a853c2b6f427f3c2.jpg

Looks like a ring necked duck, might be wrong.

1 hour ago, sugna said:

Seems to be a ring necked duck. Which is found in North America.

Wikipedia says it is a regular but rare visitor to Western Europe so you've done quite well spotting that.

43 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Wikipedia says it is a regular but rare visitor to Western Europe so you've done quite well spotting that.

It had been seen around the Lothians a day or two before, but I hadn't picked up on that - or even what one looked like. Then we strolled down to Inverleith Pond and I gave my masterclass in dabbling duck misidentification.

12 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There were loads up at Hiogganfield last week when I went up to see the Iceland Gull - the males were in full display mode doing that weird head-bobbing thing they do...

This kind of thing...

D1FA1723-DAD2-450E-B7F4-77B7697927DA.thumb.jpeg.b2cd7e5e1cddd4a7bfcd90ddb2a86b77.jpeg

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There's been another drake RND appearing here and there across Glasgow and the spam belt of East Dunbartonshire since last winter as well...I'd seen it up at Mugdock Loch out past Milngavie where it stayed longest, but it's also spent spells at a couple of wee lochs in Bearsden and even at Victoria Park and Bingham's Pond at Gartnavel Hospital.