P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

Had a nuthatch on my feeder today. Not really one you expect to see in the middle of Falkirk. Of course my SLR was upstairs and as soon as I moved it was off again. Hopefully he or she will return though npw that it knows theres food always available.

20210209_160222.jpg

On 08/02/2021 at 10:27, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just had about 20 of these land on the tree outside. Shite photo and they’ve fucked off again. Thrush sized, white speckled belly. Brown backs. Last seen heading towards the Law. 

Redwings maybe?

6D33CB76-08FB-43CC-A27A-9B46731563F9.jpeg

Chinese drones IMO. 

9 hours ago, Myles Offside said:

Eastern great egret

h2904-4.JPG

h2904-6.JPG

Weird to think we're not that far away from having something almost equally exotic-looking on our own doorsteps...there have been a fair amount of non-breeding little egrets kicking around lowland Scotland the last few years after colonising England in the last few decades - it would appear the first actual breeding attempt here might be imminent.

6 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Weird to think we're not that far away from having something almost equally exotic-looking on our own doorsteps...there have been a fair amount of non-breeding little egrets kicking around lowland Scotland the last few years after colonising England in the last few decades - it would appear the first actual breeding attempt here might be imminent.

According to the latest Scottish Birds, a breeding pair was confirmed in D&G in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Does anybody else notice that as soon as a hedge  gets cut, or a fence gets pulled down, that there will always be a robin on scene straight away (irrespective of where you are in Scotland)?

Yup. They are very reliant....

Scored a lifer yesterday when I finally got up to see the long-staying first-winter Iceland Gull at Hogganfield Loch...I'd imagined it might be a case of Where's Wally among several hundred other gulls, but it turned out to be incredibly easy to pick out mainly due to the fact it spent most of the time I was there no more than 20 feet from the shore...for an Arctic bird it's obviously gone native as it was happily wolfing down half a Morton's roll at one point.

Not my photo, but this is a shot of the same bird taken yesterday and posted elsewhere:

image.thumb.jpeg.9b4f97b0b76a0bcbcabe3b91a840befa.jpeg

Edited by Hillonearth

I've had a nice song thrush and a few wee birds hanging round in the garden at the moment. Not seen the nuthatch again though so I'm guessing it was only here because the snow was so bad and it was struggling to find food. 

I'd really like a new camera, my current one is so dated.

IMG_1156 (2).JPG

IMG_1166 (2).JPG

IMG_1170 (2).JPG

IMG_1134 (2).JPG

IMG_1139 (2).JPG