P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

‘Scuds the terrible zoomed in pic, but does anyone know what this is? Loads of them near with just now. Big duck/small goose size. Mostly white but with browny/black bits and a red stripe, like a wee swan in an early 1990s Sergio Tacchini tracksuit.

6858DE62-4C89-4F5A-BA7D-8C44300F4AD7.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

‘Scuds the terrible zoomed in pic, but does anyone know what this is? Loads of them near with just now. Big duck/small goose size. Mostly white but with browny/black bits and a red stripe, like a wee swan in an early 1990s Sergio Tacchini tracksuit.

6858DE62-4C89-4F5A-BA7D-8C44300F4AD7.jpeg

Shelduck?

Image result for shelduck

3 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

That’ll be them, ta! “A big goose-like duck that lives by the coast”.

Aye - by the description could only be that or a male red-breasted merganser, which doesn't look even remotely goose-like...always looks vaguely dinosaury to me :)

Image result for red breasted merganser

4 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

New one for me yesterday, either a goldcrest or a firecrest. Hopefully will be back today and will try and get a pic of it.

I spotted a gold crest for the first time last week.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just had about 20 of these land on the tree outside. Shite photo and they’ve fucked off again. Thrush sized, white speckled belly. Brown backs. Last seen heading towards the Law. 

Redwings maybe?

6D33CB76-08FB-43CC-A27A-9B46731563F9.jpeg

Fieldfares I reckon - the light obviously isn't great, but bottom left one at least seems to be showing some grey on its head and back.

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just spotted the Latin name for fieldfares. Lol.

The Tibetan blackbird (Turdus maximus) gets my vote for sounding most like a character from The Life of Brian.

Sadly, for obvious geographic reasons it's very unlikely to ever feature on the British list.

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I saw a grey wagtail by the Water of Leith today.

Of course I hadn't taken my camera with me but it's nice to know they're there.

We see grey wagtails quite a lot in the stretch between the steps that go down from the cycle track near Roseburn, and Dean Village. There was one on the walkway of the office right across from the bottom of those steps every time we went there over about 3 weeks, at the start of January.

The back of Edinburgh Sports Club is another good place to see them along that stretch, and we also saw one bullying a dipper off its rock under Belford Bridge. Dippers also regularly seen behind ESC, and occasionally near the bottom of the big steps.

There's also a reasonable chance of a kingfisher along that beat, sometimes perched between the steps and the back of the Gallery of Modern Art, and sometimes a bit further downstream. In the winter of 2014-15, we were pretty much guaranteed a good kingfisher spot when doing that walk.

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The Tibetan blackbird (Turdus maximus) gets my vote for sounding most like a character from The Life of Brian.

Sadly, for obvious geographic reasons it's very unlikely to ever feature on the British list.

Seen a few of them during lockdown tbf.  I blame the bread.